Rebuild 74 FJ40 RHD from Down Under - 2F to 2H to 12HT - 40 series Axles with 80 series Coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Vossie Don't think twice mate, if I had 4 grand........................

you cant go back. a bit or a clean up and paint and your laughing.

The 12ht in my 75 went like a frieght train

@Vossie Don't think twice mate, if I had 4 grand........................

you cant go back. a bit or a clean up and paint and your laughing.

The 12ht in my 75 went like a frieght train

awesome. do you guys know if the 12HT can mount directly to the 4 speed box like a 2H can? i assume it can bc its based on a 2H block and all...??

This is the dream right here. absolutely amazing job @watrob !

I think you have sealed the deal for me on putting a 12HT into my 40. Already got the H55, just need the donk now! oh and lots of time and money :D

The FCR from the 2H has 4 wires going the Edic Motor (FCM), which a 12HT does not use, it uses a electric vacuum switch valve (VSV), which causes the vacuum actuator to close a butterfly in the inlet manifold which stops the engine when the ignition key is turned off.

So my aim is to work out a combination of these 4 wires that will activate the VSV to allow the VSV to work correctly - in allowing the engine to start & stop.

View attachment 922101

VSV which will activate VACUUM ACTUATOR

View attachment 922108

the two wires coming from the VSV, which is + and which is -?

Rebuild RHD FJ40 2F 1974 into HJ40 1984 2H Diesel from Down Under

Hi, I am new to the forum and have just pickup my FJ40 and wheeled it into the garage to start a rebuild.

I have been shoping for all the components over the last few weeks and finally have them, they are as follows:-

A 1984 FJ40 front suspension assembly with diff which has front disc brakes with ventillated rotors.

1983 rear fully floating hub- suspension with diff so I can install the HiLux disc brakes with solid rotors onto.

All disc callipers are to be specially painted ( red or yellow)

Power steering box & steering colum from a FJ45 troopy

2H 6 cyl Toyota Diesel (75 series)

4 speed gearbox with seperate transfer case with handbrake

Cross member from a FJ45 troopy as gearbox has mounts, as old gearbox had brackets on side of bellhousing instead

Bonnet, inner guards, guards, grill, windscreen surround in fibreglass

Full floor- back tub with firewall in a one piece fibreglass sports shell, which I had made 6" longer so to fit 2 bucket seats in the rear

Total of 2 bucket recaro seats & matching rear seat.

6 point roll cage

I am also debating whether to have the leaf springs gal dipped also. (Decided not too)

I will fully strip down the Fj40 and have the chassis hot dipped in gal. I am trying to keep the FJ 40 simple for future maintenance as it will be kept at the beach house and will only see a dirt road every now or then.

I have not yet decided what type of wheels & tyres I will put on as I believe I maybe limited in size due to using the original power steering setup which may limit me to around 36"

I also have not yet decided on what colour to paint the FJ40 yet, but the recaro seats are yellow & black ( I have the option to change them to orange & black within the next 30 days)

Ok so the fun begins.

It would be good to hear any & all input in the above and or any ideas as this is probably the best time.

By the way this is a great forum.

Regards from downunder.
I have sourced a good used 12H-T in Brisbane. Not sure if I should have it rebuilt in Australia and then have it shipped here or take a chance and go with it as it is. Engine rebuilders for this rare (in U.S.) engine are hard to find. Would appreciate your thoughts with PM (donholsinger@gmail.com)

Hi watrob. Can I ask in relation to the coil conversion did ye use the 80 series bracketry coil buckets, spring seats etc. Fantastic work

Thought I would just show you a little trick for those who maybe thinking of install a H55F 5 speed transmission into there 40 series. As you know the transmission hump or cover needs altering as the gear sticks actually sit back further and the transmission protrudes high into the cabin, just get a 75 series transmission cover which bolts on top? Will give you a couple more inches in height and cover the bigger opening that is required.

View attachment 1028339

View attachment 1028340
Did this fit contour of fj40 tunnel or was some modifications necessary? Any pics of it installed?

Hi watrob. Can I ask in relation to the coil conversion did ye use the 80 series bracketry coil buckets, spring seats etc. Fantastic work
Yes, used all the 80 series suspension, but if you want to make life easy, buy a RJ70 chassis ?

This my next project to build a sister FJ40/43 the same as my previous for my grandson but on this chassis. I currently have all the parts in storage, even the 12HT

IMG_1934.jpg

RJ70 (1).jpg

T-salesfolder07d.jpg

Did this fit contour of fj40 tunnel or was some modifications necessary? Any pics of it installed?
You have to cut, shape and weld a little but its worth the effort. I happened to have a spare tranny hump from a FJ40 I so used that one to combine both pieces to suit the 5 speed.

Then as my FJ40/43 is all fibreglass I got it then copied in fibreglass.

If you can get a fibreglass tranny hump and ask them not to cut out the gear stick areas at manufacture time and cut the holes yourself will work, as the 5 speed stick position sits back further and higher.

I have sourced a good used 12H-T in Brisbane. Not sure if I should have it rebuilt in Australia and then have it shipped here or take a chance and go with it as it is. Engine rebuilders for this rare (in U.S.) engine are hard to find. Would appreciate your thoughts with PM (donholsinger@gmail.com)
Hope you found a 12HT, this is my second engine striped down.

Second photo is the rebuild arriving back.

Now the next 2 photos is the work l have to complete, which are photos on my first 12HT rebuild, which I am going to duplicate again, build time is about six to 8 months.

If you buy a old 12HT, this is what it will look like striped down, it will need new bore liners, valves, oversized pistons & rings, crank grind and bearings, new timing chain, seals, gaskets, head grind, new tappet push rods, reco oil pump, new water pump, reco'd injector pump, new injectors, turbo rebuild, etc.

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_1361.JPG

untitled.png

Last edited:
Thanks Watrob. I've source the chassis bracketry. Can I ask re the trailing arm attachment to the axles ? Did you cut this off the 80 series axles ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom