New 80 series aficionado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone!

A recently converted to the LC community.

My previous projects included a couple of Fieros, Miatas, Mini Coopers, Sidekicks, wranglers… but my best friend was always talking to me about the LC.

Now… I found one 97 80 series for my next project and see what is he talking about. I like to do my research before getting into a new vehicle, so I had gone trough many pages of this forum before posting for the first time.

For the candidate, everything seems to be in the right place, all stock, all electrical working, engine running good, trans shifting properly, and in good exterior and interior condition to be at +200,000 miles.

The only thing that concerns me is that once I start the truck, the ABS light and the CDL light stay on, with the truck in parking, and 4hi.

I moved the 4hi to neutral, and the CDL is still on. Driving feels ok.

Owner says that is “normal”, but I think there might be something. Owner hasn’t done any 7pin mod.

What’s your opinion on this? Is there something else I may need to check?

Thanks!

Congrats and welcome!

This forum has the best search function I’ve experienced as compared to other auto enthusiast forums. Give it a whirl. What you’re asking for probably has already been discussed ad nauseum.

Supplement with YouTube.

Hello everyone!

A recently converted to the LC community.

My previous projects included a couple of Fieros, Miatas, Mini Coopers, Sidekicks, wranglers… but my best friend was always talking to me about the LC.

Now… I found one 97 80 series for my next project and see what is he talking about. I like to do my research before getting into a new vehicle, so I had gone trough many pages of this forum before posting for the first time.

For the candidate, everything seems to be in the right place, all stock, all electrical working, engine running good, trans shifting properly, and in good exterior and interior condition to be at +200,000 miles.

The only thing that concerns me is that once I start the truck, the ABS light and the CDL light stay on, with the truck in parking, and 4hi.

I moved the 4hi to neutral, and the CDL is still on. Driving feels ok.

Owner says that is “normal”, but I think there might be something. Owner hasn’t done any 7pin mod.

What’s your opinion on this? Is there something else I may need to check?

Thanks!
That’s not normal and I would have an independent mechanic that knows Landcruisers do an inspection. No telling what else the owner is trying hide. It’s just insane how many people are greedy and will tell lies to to get rid of a a problem. I also really wonder if people know they are telling a little white lie or if maybe there just really don’t know.

Also, will take some heat for this one but unless it’s a really good deal or in great shape at a good price you should pass. Usually if it’s in good shape with work in it, it’s gonna be reflected in the price. If it’s junk but looks decent on outside sellers will just ask a crazy amount money because why not it is a Landcruiser after all. The realty is gas is high, parts are getting hard to find for these trucks and unless your planning to buy it as 3rd vechicle for pleasure I would steer clear.

Last edited:
So it is stuck in 4wd. When in 4wd abs is disabled so the Abs light is normal when you are in 4wd. If there is not a button installed for the center diff lock to turn on 4wd (from AWD normally) then the actuator may not be working or it is reading locked when it isn't, or something else is afoot. I think there is a thread on how to manually force it out of a locked center diff.

Good luck with the purchase.

Fwiw...the Hazzards light switch is the same as a center diff lock switch electrically and mechanically (just different logo) if you have two of those try seeing if someone just installed one as a center diff lock switch.

Near that switch, from the factory is the plug with a jumper on it. I would look at it and make sure someone didn't lock the diff so that you don't notice a front or rear diff that isn't working.

That sounds like it blew a birf and he put it in low to get the CDL locked, then pulled the fuse and put it into high. Locate the fuse that controls the CDL, and see if it’s gone.

Congrats and welcome!

This forum has the best search function I’ve experienced as compared to other auto enthusiast forums. Give it a whirl. What you’re asking for probably has already been discussed ad nauseum.

Supplement with YouTube.
Thanks! I have searched but most of the answer are with the CDL mod. This one I assume is stock, and shouldn’t turn on without the mod.

That’s not normal and I would have an independent mechanic that knows Landcruisers do an inspection. No telling what else the owner is trying hide. It’s just insane how many people are greedy and will tell lies to to get rid of a a problem. I also really wonder if people know they are telling a little white lie or if maybe there just really don’t know.

Also, will take some heat for this one but unless it’s a really good deal or in great shape at a good price you should pass. Usually if it’s in good shape with work in it, it’s gonna be reflected in the price. If it’s junk but looks decent on outside sellers will just ask a crazy amount money because why not it is a Landcruiser after all. The realty is gas is high, parts are getting hard to find for these trucks and unless your planning to buy it as 3rd vechicle for pleasure I would steer clear.

No heat, great words of wisdom.

I lay out what I want to do with the car before spending the money, and analyze if is convenient to do the purchase.

It’s a long term project to be my third vehicle, for the occasional road trip to the mountains, the beach, or on the snow. The goal is to use one car instead of 3, with 6 (short) people for camping, biking, and travelling.

It is a good deal, I can do most of the basic maintenance between my and my friends, and if I purchase it, the 80 can wait patiently for parts or repairs.

I buy and sell used cars as a hobby, to work on them a little, enjoyed them, and go to the next one.

I know people don't sell these kind of enthusiast cars, unless they make money, they are pushed by financial reasons and need a quick buck, or they are tired of fixing them.

So it is stuck in 4wd. When in 4wd abs is disabled so the Abs light is normal when you are in 4wd. If there is not a button installed for the center diff lock to turn on 4wd (from AWD normally) then the actuator may not be working or it is reading locked when it isn't, or something else is afoot. I think there is a thread on how to manually force it out of a locked center diff.

Good luck with the purchase.

Fwiw...the Hazzards light switch is the same as a center diff lock switch electrically and mechanically (just different logo) if you have two of those try seeing if someone just installed one as a center diff lock switch.

Near that switch, from the factory is the plug with a jumper on it. I would look at it and make sure someone didn't lock the diff so that you don't notice a front or rear diff that isn't working.

I am planning to troubleshoot following this:

Oh and you are past your limit of messages without pictures

17F9B0BF-1A06-404B-B0EB-16103F8193E1.jpeg

According to the owner, this is the little fella that may be not working… I will see if I can free it up with wd-40 as the troubleshoot link suggests.

In this case the differential is locked all the time?

Or worst and is the actuator the faulty one?

According to the owner, this is the little fella that may be not working…

Meaning that the CDL is not, in fact, locked?

IIRC there are three sensors like that on the transfer case. I've posted a link before to a page explaining how to clean the contacts by cycling them with a 9V battery, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Here's a thread explaining the sensors:

Also, there's a Dorman sensor that you can substitute. I think it's a reverse switch for Tacomas or something:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom