fj80 and lx450 ps pump rebuild (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know the part number for just the gear? I clamped it with wood, but it still spun and now it's a little noisier than I'd like.

Any tips for getting the blind snap ring down for the bearing w/o trashing the shaft would be much apppreciated. Yes, the shaft is taped off but my two small screwdriver chopstick skills are apparently lacking.......

You shouldn't have to fight it.
..... And you should be using snap ring pliers.
If it wont go down, you should double check the shaft or bearing depth.
Needle nose pliers are an alternative.
A ring clamp could maybe work.

Thanks for the guide, I rebuilt mine this past weekend. My experience with the external snap clip on the bearing shaft was challenging as well.

I ended up putting the shaft in a vice with a socket against the tapered bit to keep some pressure on the snap clip (w/ blocks of wood to prevent damage to the shaft). Then I used a set up picks to wiggle the clip onto the shaft.

Thanks for the guide, I rebuilt mine this past weekend. My experience with the external snap clip on the bearing shaft was challenging as well.

I ended up putting the shaft in a vice with a socket against the tapered bit to keep some pressure on the snap clip (w/ blocks of wood to prevent damage to the shaft). Then I used a set up picks to wiggle the clip onto the shaft.
You should look at all the trouble you had removing and installing that snap ring as the perfect opportunity to tell your wife she needs to let you spent more money on tools.

You should look at all the trouble you had removing and installing that snap ring as the perfect opportunity to tell your wife she needs to let you spent more money on tools.
Might have too approach that once she gets over the pump being on the kitchen table over the weekend 😬 I'll be left dreaming of a shop press til then...

This is a great guide, thanks for posting it!

I may have missed it but I think there is a gap in the steps when removing the bearing from the shaft. There is a C clip (I see the part listed in the rebuild portion but not removal) that has to be removed (and will more than likely be damaged). My kit came with a new one. See below.

Also, bearing removal is directional.

1682711544972.png

This is a great guide, thanks for posting it!

I may have missed it but I think there is a gap in the steps when removing the bearing from the shaft. There is a C clip (I see the part listed in the rebuild portion but not removal) that has to be removed (and will more than likely be damaged). My kit came with a new one. See below.

Also, bearing removal is directional.

View attachment 3309723
Post in thread 'fj80 and lx450 ps pump rebuild' fj80 and lx450 ps pump rebuild - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj80-and-lx450-ps-pump-rebuild.467550/post-6932651

I knew i must of missed it! Thanks again for the guide. Just finished mine up last weekend and she's operating better than ever and much quieter!

Side note: I do recommend buying a Wit's End Emergency plug and throwing it in the glove box just in case. My plug blew out right outside of Steam boat springs CO and i had to muscle it into town and glob some steel stik on it until I could seal/rebuild the pump.

So which way do the "K" letters face again? Toward the gear end or toward the back plate? Asking for a friend... 🤷‍♂️

Can’t remember but make sure the snap ring at the end of the barrel is fully seated. Don’t want to fire it up and have ATF blow all over your fresh rebuild. Ask me how I know….

Last edited:
I don’t remember as well, but I do remember I did it wrong the first time.

@artech Just check the stack up when you rebuild it. If the final large C clip doesn’t fully seat (youll know cause you’ll question if it looks fully seated) then flip the stack up and try again. Otherwise, what @SucioP said will happen. Multiple times. Ask how I know…

Just says "notice the "K" and "O" for orientation." I'm too late for that, my stack has already been mixed up and I need to put them right again. ( :doh:) So do the 'O's and 'K's face each other like 'OO' and 'KK' then? Or is it 'OK' and 'OK', or how is it supposed to be?

For what it is worth for guys that haven't done this rebuild before, I hadn't either. If you follow the instructions from the OP you can do it. I rebuilt the pump and changed out all the hoses, and added the inline filter to the return line, and took apart the fluid reservoir and cleaned it. Go slow and it'll happen. I am not a super gearhead, just a guy who follows instructions.

This is how I did it just a few weeks back as well, just with a new reservoir. Worked out great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom