Builds The LF40 Wheeler Build - Twin Turbo & 8 Speed Auto FJ40 (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A quick comparison to a R2.8 Cummins, H55, and split case that I stuck together a few days ago.

I was really hoping that was a H55 top cover with a bearing race holding together the opening for the shifter. 😄

The weather turned nice, and my inner two year old is getting cranky about not having his toy. 😋

Replace the timing cover. Weld that alternator tab up otherwise it will fail eventually. You may have to re-tap those holes. It's fixable and now's the time.

With the cast aluminum block, I'm not sure what exactly to do with the cracked tab. I'm definitely not going to use it, the alternator bracket has 4 other bolts holding it on.

$300 later and I got a new timing cover, so that will go on. Not looking forward to cracking this engine open.

I was really hoping that was a H55 top cover with a bearing race holding together the opening for the shifter. 😄

The weather turned nice, and my inner two year old is getting cranky about not having his toy. 😋

Not quite yet, it's still out in the yard.

Well, it fits really, really, well. The floor may need to move up a little for the atlas, and my upper link needs to swap sides, but I have over 6" to the front of the radiator and condenser, and just as much to the firewall.

20220521_134222.jpg

20220521_134722.jpg

20220521_134735.jpg

20220521_134527.jpg

20220521_134624.jpg

20220521_134615.jpg

Are you running the atlas divorced?

Nope, AA makes an adapter to the atlas. Just waiting on it now. Hopefully, it all just bolts together.

LF4 Timing Cover Replacement
Timing cover time. It was pretty easy with it out of the vehicle.

Interesting throttle body and intercooler setup.

20220527_083354.jpg

20220527_083408.jpg

20220527_084057.jpg

Both sides looked almost perfect, besides usual wear. I put some assembly lube on all the roller rockers for the fresh start.

20220527_085417.jpg

Timing chains are all in-spec and show no signs of wear. All the gears also got some assembly lube

20220527_111448.jpg

Toyota FIPG for the win.

20220527_112137.jpg

A fun little torque pattern later.

20220527_113723.jpg

New intercooler heat exchanger showed up. Rated for 1000HP+, so this should stay nice and cool.

20220527_160054.jpg

Front of the engine back together, waiting on some new gaskets to get the intake and valve covers back on.

20220528_114456.jpg

I cleaned a bunch of brackets off the frame and rear axle today, prepping for the rear links and new drivetrain. The Oxy torch with a scarfing tip is awesome at peeling old welds and brackets off. Gets a bit spicy sometimes, though.

Got my rad stack mocked up. I got really lucky, the new mishimoto intercooler fits like a glove in my old radiator.

New stack is about 7" thick, plus fan.

20220528_174030.jpg

20220528_174040.jpg

The Plasma Table went down this week, of course, right before I need it. Anyways, I have been getting a bunch of CAD done for parts.

My favorite so far, the Engine Vanity Cover

Vanity Cover Side.PNG

Vanity Cover.PNG

The engine is completely back together with new OEM gaskets and just waiting on the harness to run. Soon, hopefully.

Anyways, let me know what you think!

It looks cool, but I think all the cut outs will make it too hard to clean. I would just do solid plate, then cut out the badges and bolt them or rivet them on. That's my perhaps overly critical opinion anyway haha.

It's going to be spaced up about a 1/2 inch from the boost tanks, so I think it will be ok.

Lol, I can't wait for school to end so I can get working on this. Need mostly time and a little money currently.
Glad money is going to school😁😁😁😁

Really curious bro see how it turns out. Engine that is. 😁😁😁😁

I like it! I would have no idea what engine you had if you popped the hood with out it being identified. Your cover might save you from having to explain over and over again what it is. Then you can skip to explaining what the donor was.😁

I enjoy seeing the personal touches keep it up.

I like it! I would have no idea what engine you had if you popped the hood with out it being identified. Your cover might save you from having to explain over and over again what it is. Then you can skip to explaining what the donor was.😁

I enjoy seeing the personal touches keep it up.

Thanks! I'm trying my best to make this as unique, but still practical and nice as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom