Tell me why not to buy an FJC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chap79

Wheel. Break. Fix. Repeat.
SILVER Star
Threads
The wife and I are in the market for another Toyota. The primary use will be DD duty for me to work 3-4 days a week, 4x4 is a must because I have to be able to get into the office regardless of weather conditions. I’ve been DDing my ‘20 Tacoma but we’ve built it up and I’d like to move it into second vehicle status.

We’ve had numerous other Toyotas over the years; 2nd and 3rd gen 4Runners, 80 series cruisers, 1st gen Tacoma, GX470, 2nd gen Tundra…

As much as I’d love to get a 60/2 series or another 80 the wife really loves the looks of the FJC. I’m not all that concerned about the rear visibility as I’m used to solid camper shells or staring at dual swing outs with a 37 on them.

Other than initial price at the moment, any reason to consider something else?
7CA6EC91-17BF-4109-8EBF-811BC1F7EC58.jpeg

*photo stolen without permission from @NLXTACY

Other than initial price at the moment, any reason to consider something else?

Back seat is somewhat of a pain to get in and out of, if you often have passengers that would sit back there.

Can't think of much else - mine has been a fantastic vehicle; still drives as good as new at 250,000 miles.

I just got back from playing chase vehicle for my son and daughter in law who did the White Rim Trail in one day. My 07 FJ Cruiser (with 240,000 miles) w/6 speed manual trans couldn’t have done better. And yes, it’s time for another windshield. This incline is steeper than it appears, that’s why they’re walking the bikes.
893F4D81-6C65-42B1-A5AB-404BD0F42C61.jpeg

Back seat is somewhat of a pain to get in and out of, if you often have passengers that would sit back there.

Can't think of much else - mine has been a fantastic vehicle; still drives as good as new at 250,000 miles.
Back seat room for passengers is not a concern for me, only our dogs have used the rear seats in any of our cars for years.

I have daily driven and beat the crap out of mine for about 16 years. Can't think of another model (other than, like you, a 6x series) that I'd like to keep driving. Very reliable platform for a 4x4 SUV with a manual t-case. Hope you find a good deal on one.

So what I’m seeing is that there is no reason not to get one, not that I thought there would be. I can understand cargo limitations and what not, I had an old CJ5 for 10 years before moving over to Yotas that I didn’t even run a rear seat in to give the dog a place to sit. And now that we’re empty nesters the only thing my DD needs to be able to carry is my fishing pole.

I took the wife to look at one at a local Toyota dealership over the weekend since she had never seen the interior. I was concerned that she might be put off be the dash. But to my surprise she really liked the simplicity and utilitarian design. Guess that’s her Soviet roots coming through.

It was a really clean 2013 with 80k on it, asking 36k. Too much in my opinion. At that price I might as well get a 40 and add AC to it.

Should I resign myself that I’m going to be looking at about 30k for a clean lower mileage one? I really haven’t been keeping up with FJCs. But I know the used car market is stupid right now and even a 5th gen 4Runner of the same vintage/condition is about 30k.

Anyone need a mildly abused kidney from a mid 40’s male?

Last edited:
Crazy how much they are. Should have kept mine instead of letting it go for 14k lol

I only got rid of it for a GX because of what I called “the triangle of death”. When in tight parking getting a baby in a car seat out is almost impossible as you stand in the trainable created by the car beside you and the two doors.

That is obviously not a issue for you.

I would never buy another one. I wanted to like it. I really tried hard.

The back is great with dogs except they are in an airless cave. It was pretty miserable for them until I put quarter door vents in, but they were kinda cheesy and not super easy to take in and out.
Rear doors suck in general. Triangle of death is real. With groceries, or passengers, or any damn thing.
Windsheild cracks weekly and you can't see traffic lights at all.
Rear window is useless

Buy a 3rd gen. skinner. It's a better vehicle in every way. 5th gen was ok except it wandered on the highway bad. I was glad to get rid of it too.
100 series is better for cheaper too. Best best is 3.4l swapped 1st gen, but tough to come across.

Just my opinion from having owned one for 5 years

Last edited:
I'm only a few months in to FJC ownership but have had 4runners, Tacoma, LCs etc..

Triangle purgatory is a thing with the doors in parking lots but easy to work around. Kids in the back seat is no problem as long as they're forward facing, I have one rear facing and we "thread the needle" getting in/out but he thinks its fun. Rear seat room is way better than a Tacoma, basically a 4runner but with the 1/2 doors.

Visibility isn't an issue if you've ever driven a van or with a topper on a truck. On road its great, very cool looking appliance that gets anywhere you need to go. Off road the shorter WB is nice on east coast trails.

Parts interchange with Tacomas/4runners is nice for lifts/drivetrain and being able to just stop in autozone for consumables is good for DD duty. A v8 5th gen 4runner would be tempting for a more DD oriented rig but no 6MT... or 2nd gen tundra/sequoia if you need towing/hauling.

I sold mine because I had a kid and I wanted him to be able to see out of it. Could be an issue if your dogs like to look out. It was amazing off-road but I did have to get out and look at some obstacles many many times when no spotter was available. It was a super cool DD though IMO.

I have a love hate relationship with mine. I love to drive it but hate when I have to drive it over 65mph and hate putting miles on it because the stupid money value is going up on them but want to enjoy it as a vehicle.

I am a worrier and the windshields try to crack themselves with anything that hits them.
The motor power feels good to me, especially with the 6speed it feels more spunky than my 460 I daily drive.
Deals can be found on them out there and also way over priced examples. Even on bat I’ve seen a few deals lately as people there dont want modified ones.
Better deals can be found on the 07-08 models because they made more those years and they upgraded the motor around 9,10 I forget. I see many low milage ones pop up forsale bc they aren’t the best daily drivers but something people love to have as a second vehicle.

As many negatives as they have I still want another one and won’t give up my current one for anything different.

...Better deals can be found on the 07-08 models because they made more those years and they upgraded the motor around 9,10 I forget.
The rear end was upgraded in 2010, I believe, from 8.0 to 8.2.
I was looking at them for a couple years as a possible replacement for my FJ62.
I liked the powerful 4.0, great headroom and adequate legroom. Actually preferred driving the auto to the manual. I was thinking the driving experience size wise would be similar to an FJ40 but the FJ seems way bigger. It’s not a small rig at all. One I looked at was a 2008 for $10K locally to me with only 100K miles. However, traction bar had rusted off and had been rewelded. Maybe not a real big deal, though this model does seem prone to rust in the rear. Test drive revealed a lot of road noise in rear end. Owner said it was the winter tires, I wasn’t convinced and decided to pass. Another 2007 with about 150K miles, owner said he would sell for $10K to me, never advertised it for sale. We kind of lost touch with one another so that fell through.
Eventually I found a rust free 80 series with 200K miles at half the price and decided to go with it. Visibility with the 80 is outstanding, similar to FJ62. I didn’t appreciate the cave like rear visibility of FJ Cruiser.

I've had my 2007 for about 7 years now; my first Toyota. When I bought it, it was run hard and put away wet.
Put some TLC into it and it has been awesome ever since.
As a daily driver with young children, yeah it's a compromise, but you won't have that problem, and honestly, with the cheerios and sippy cup brigade everything other than a minivan is a compromise.

My kids hated it.
I've replaced it as a daily driver with a ZR2, but can't bring myself to selling it.
It's become a third vehicle and I'll likely convert/build it into a trails only truck.

DSC02074 by M J, on Flickr

They are capable, but too rich for my blood as an 8-15 year old used Toyota.

At least an 80 series you can still find for under 10 grand in decent condition. And the fuel economy isn’t even that much worse on the ancient straight 6 as I understand it.

I’d think a GX470 or even 460 would be better value, especially as a DD.

Well...

First, for off-roading, we are on our second FJ. Amazing vehicle for how we use it, and I can't think of anything better overall.

For a daily driver, I would not have one. Bad rear visibility that you mentioned. The front visibility is bad - between the pillars and mirrors, it is easy to not see people in a crosswalk. The back seat is an insult to adult humans. The back windows are tiny and don't open. Mileage is pretty bad by modern standards. Repairs can be very expensive.

I have made our FJ worse for urban driving with a lift and rock rails, making it hard to get out of without mud on the back of the pant leg. Big tool box takes up most of the cargo area. Extra radios and tangled cables... Big heavy tires that are difficult to change or rotate...

But on the tough trails, it shines! I have kept up with a pack of Jeeps that spent more on tires, wheels and axles than I spent on the whole truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom