Help me with my trip to Trail Tailor to pick up my new FJ60 and drive from CA to TX. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure if you have your heart set on that HMB stop. You have a short leg from Redding to there, and a really really long leg from HMB to Hermosa. If you wanted an overnight stay a little further down the road, Prewitt Ridge is about a half hour south of Big Sur has some great dispersed camping options with amazing views. It’s about a 25 min climb from the highway, but you’ll be sitting at 2700 feet with some awesome views. and of course you’d need to have your own water, etc as there are no facilities up there. Just did a two night camping trip there a few weeks back and it did not dissapoint.

E9F4A839-36BD-43F3-B07D-6A9B555E1056.jpeg

Like the title says - I'll be flying up to Trail Tailor in Redding CA to pic up my new FJ60, then drive it back to McKinney, TX. If there's a different place I should post this please let me know.

The build

The planned route
View attachment 3010683

How I'm planning to split the drive up

View attachment 3010685

Once upon a time you could pull over and sleep on a pullout or day-use parking area along Hwy 1 near Half Moon Bay… those days are gone for various reasons, vanlifers included. Sheriff will roust you.

The two state campgrounds in that general area - Butano and Big Basin - are still partially closed due to wildfire damage. So, car camping in either of those parks is not an option.

If you want a sure thing in the area, and don’t want to load/unload at a motel, consider Costanoa. There is a classic KOA site there in addition to a very upscale lodge and glamping thing. You won’t be roughing it but you won’t be breaking the bank either. I think the KOA sites are around $50, which is just a little more than a state park site. Some have RV hookups and others are just for tents, but you can always sleep in the 60 and get up and out efficiently.

^ Prewitt Ridge and that whole part of Big Sur/Los Padres is epic, but it’s a bigger push from Redding. And a lot of the dispersed camping along the forest service roads in Los Padres (Prewitt not included) has been curtailed as well. Too many hobo campfires!

@Major Nelson

your truck (err... your wife's truck) is a beauty!!!

couple trip thoughts come to mind. leaving Redding late afternoon - maybe you just want to get some fuel and some provisions and get an hour or so down the road - crack a cold one (or 10) and enjoy the sunset...my wife and I have camped here a few times...
Black Butte Lake Recreation Area

rolling hills / oak savannah right down to waters edge. Pretty place...easy camping.

heading down the Cali coast - dont forget to stop along the pull-outs around Big Sur and look for Condors. (bring binoculars)

Hermosa Beach to Tuscon....yikes!! plan for a lot more time to get out of the LA Freeway hell hole - with stops for gaz you're looking at 9 ish hours (being realistic) I would split this up and stop at Joshua Tree for the night. (that's just me - I'm always happier when I stop the driving early enough in the day to casually make camp and drink a few beers - rather than push push push - and finally make camp in the dark)

Tucson Area:
if you're willing to go a little beyond Tucson - this area is FANTASTIC:
IMG_1691.jpeg

Chiricahua National Monument:

there's an awesome dirt road pass that leads to a tiny "town" Portal - just east of the monument area. My wife and I were on birding expedition - and someone said "dont miss Portal"
sure enough after the mountain pass adventure there's a market/cafe/bar thing with good burgers and cold beer on tap. The drive over the pass was good too!

@Major Nelson

your truck (err... your wife's truck) is a beauty!!!

couple trip thoughts come to mind. leaving Redding late afternoon - maybe you just want to get some fuel and some provisions and get an hour or so down the road - crack a cold one (or 10) and enjoy the sunset...my wife and I have camped here a few times...
Black Butte Lake Recreation Area

rolling hills / oak savannah right down to waters edge. Pretty place...easy camping.

heading down the Cali coast - dont forget to stop along the pull-outs around Big Sur and look for Condors. (bring binoculars)

Hermosa Beach to Tuscon....yikes!! plan for a lot more time to get out of the LA Freeway hell hole - with stops for gaz you're looking at 9 ish hours (being realistic) I would split this up and stop at Joshua Tree for the night. (that's just me - I'm always happier when I stop the driving early enough in the day to casually make camp and drink a few beers - rather than push push push - and finally make camp in the dark)

Tucson Area:
if you're willing to go a little beyond Tucson - this area is FANTASTIC: View attachment 3016684
Chiricahua National Monument:

there's an awesome dirt road pass that leads to a tiny "town" Portal - just east of the monument area. My wife and I were on birding expedition - and someone said "dont miss Portal"
sure enough after the mountain pass adventure there's a market/cafe/bar thing with good burgers and cold beer on tap. The drive over the pass was good too!
Yep, super cool area. Patagonia too.

Like the title says - I'll be flying up to Trail Tailor in Redding CA to pic up my new FJ60, then drive it back to McKinney, TX. If there's a different place I should post this please let me know.

The build

The planned route
View attachment 3010683

How I'm planning to split the drive up

View attachment 3010685

I'm in Hermosa. PM me if you have time to meet. Always great to meet other 60s owners.

Made it back to TX today....I'm going to post more details on the build thread, but thanks to @OGBeno for the hospitality yesterday. It was more than worth the detour to finally get to meet you in person brother. The OLC4X4 setup is sweet. Wish I'd had some time to hang around Patagonia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom