Duty Tax Importing an HJ61 into the US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CenTXFJ60

SILVER Star
Threads
So I'm in Saskatchewan and picked up an 87 HJ61. This is the 5th truck I've imported in several years and typically paid 2 or 2.5% duty tax to US Border and Customs. Today I stopped at the customs office before crossing into Canada to verify some paper work. The officer asked where the vehicle is from and I stated Canada. He then asked where was it made. When I told him it's a Toyota he informed me the duty tax is now 25% due to Trumps import tax changes. I find this hard to believe as I've never heard of this and believe it would pretty much kill the importing of Landcruisers regardless of where they are from. I asked him to research this with his supervisor to verify. I've done some research as well and all I can find is 2.5% for cars and 25% for trucks (I assume heavy duty). Nowhere does it say on the federal gov sites that all Japanese manufactured vehicles are hit with 25%. Has anyone else dealt with this in recent years? I did my last one 2.5 years ago which came direct from Japan. @SteveJackson curious what you know about this.
Thanks you,
Jimmy

Are these the mining rigs? I live in Canada, and go to Saskatchewan every now and again…. I can’t get my hands on them, I don’t know how……. I don’t know anything about importing or whatever, but if I got my hands on some 1HZ+ I would sell parts to ya!😉

Good luck.

So I have not imported a truck and am not a lawyer, but I do have two cents…

The definition of a “truck” for the 25% tax, when it comes to imports going through US customs, has historically been pretty arbitrary. Sounds like it depends a lot on your My understanding from talking to a (single) customs broker is that most customs agents regard something with two seats on a frame, or a pickup bed, as a light truck and eligible for the 25% tax. But it is kinda up to the customs agent, and I don’t know if there’s an appeals process. So something like a FJ45 pickup would likely get given the higher rate, but maybe not a HJ61 unless it was missing the second row.

As for new cars, I think it’s defined more rigorously involving more then just one customs agent at the border. Which is how you arrive at things like the Subaru BRAT with its rear jump seats, or Ford’s efforts to avoid them by shipping partially manufactured Transit Connects for final assembly States-side.

That 25% tax, the infamous chicken tax, is also nothing new (Chicken tax - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax). I think you could blame a lot of things on the previous administration but not this one. No idea where the Japanese-specific rule comes from either, that’s definitely not true.

Is trying to go through a different land entry port (maybe one more used to imports) an option?

He should blame LBJ not Trump.
There's no reason a 60-series shouldn't fall under the 2.5% criteria unless it's converted into a cargo van or you have a s***ty boarder agent. Fill out the form for a passenger vehicle and be on your merry way.

Great feedback guys. I should clarify that there was no negative tint or blame towards the US administration. The agent is the one that stated I can thank Trump for this law. I agree this is a case where the agents have little experience with vehicle imports coming through their office. I read quite a bit more last night and confident they are wrong. As stated above, I am considering a different port as we’d like to swing by Mount Rushmore on our way home. Will let y’all know how it goes. BTW…here’s how it looks. Rough body but low mileage and this family has had the truck since 2002.

A4DB1B12-7511-482F-A1F8-152C8B73F8D4.jpeg

B93FA958-6ABC-40D2-8BAF-290F407F6CFC.jpeg

Sweet HJ61! At this point you're probably best finding a broker to fill out the paperwork for you, since you and this particular vehicle will likely be flagged in the CBP system. Unfortunately far too much is left at the discretion of the individual CBP agent, and once an agent makes a note of a possible issue with an import that will follow you to whatever crossing you attempt. That said, a 60-series is by no means a "truck" in the sense of the Chicken Tax and shouldn't be subject to a 25% tariff. I have called CPB main offices in an attempt to nail someone down on the official definition of a "truck" but the furthest I've gotten is that a truck is primarily for transporting cargo, and a passenger vehicle is primarily for transporting people. I imported a double cab Hilux through a broker and it qualified as a passenger vehicle. Sounds like you got stuck with an agent who didn't know what they were talking about and had gotten up on the wrong side of the bed that day.

Great feedback guys. I should clarify that there was no negative tint or blame towards the US administration. The agent is the one that stated I can thank Trump for this law. I agree this is a case where the agents have little experience with vehicle imports coming through their office. I read quite a bit more last night and confident they are wrong. As stated above, I am considering a different port as we’d like to swing by Mount Rushmore on our way home. Will let y’all know how it goes. BTW…here’s how it looks. Rough body but low mileage and this family has had the truck since 2002.

View attachment 3021029

View attachment 3021030
Best stripes I’ve seen yet! I imported mine from Japan 2 years ago into Baltimore and definitely did not pay 25%!

@NookShneer and I had the same issue when we were trying to bring in a 12ht and other cruiser parts from Canada. One border crossing wouldn't let us import the engine because EPA rules. They didn't know or care it was an old engine. So we were not allowed in the US with it. So we blasted over to another border crossing and got a reasonable agent that understood the rules and let us through. You definitely never know who you are going to deal with at the border. :p

where in saskatchewan did you get that one? i live here and am always watching. there’s another white one on kijiji right now that looks to be in pretty decent shape!

where in saskatchewan did you get that one? i live here and am always watching. there’s another white one on kijiji right now that looks to be in pretty decent shape!
I picked it up on Raymore about an hour and 20 north of Regina. Made it through with 2.5% in duty tax. Called the border office this morning before I left Regina and they had figured everything out. Appreciate everyone’s help. This pic is just before the border crossing into Montana. beautiful country
74E06DB1-C0D0-4176-897C-3AE646C4104A.jpeg

That must have been the one that started @$6500 and went to $10,000 in a couple of hours! Looks similar to the one I got two years ago in the Pike Lake area for $350 -LOL. The current white one is being sold by a friend and came out of Ontario. These things seem to be flying all over the planet these days.

That must have been the one that started @$6500 and went to $10,000 in a couple of hours! Looks similar to the one I got two years ago in the Pike Lake area for $350 -LOL. The current white one is being sold by a friend and came out of Ontario. These things seem to be flying all over the planet these days.
Yes sir. That’s it. Met the son of the owner that imported it 20 years ago. It’s rough but we’ll optioned. And the round eyes and square dash (and factory lockers) sold me on it. Converting the $10k to US $’s plus the chance for an awesome road trip made it an easy decision

Yes sir. That’s it. Met the son of the owner that imported it 20 years ago. It’s rough but we’ll optioned. And the round eyes and square dash (and factory lockers) sold me on it. Converting the $10k to US $’s plus the chance for an awesome road trip made it an easy decision

Factory lockers? Must have full floaters too. Really wish get one of those. The grass is always greener…. I need to be more great full lol.

that would be quite the road trip if you are taking it back to texas! post pictures of the trip too! i would love to see where you travel through!

that would be quite the road trip if you are taking it back to texas! post pictures of the trip too! i would love to see where you travel through!
Ah yes. Been at Classic Cruisers since yesterday doing some volunteer work with a lot of good cruiser folks. Will head towards Texas on Friday. We are helping Brandon demo some of his inventory.

5DFCE5B4-83AF-4E09-AB1F-18B0279F6DBB.jpeg

EC8B5E19-E73C-4A46-8F14-91F4E6B91D8F.jpeg

91D647F9-913E-4242-BD13-EFA77B575472.jpeg

Yes you have an advantage with the exchange rate . A few years ago when the Canadian dollar was higher than the US dollar I was able to get a beautiful FJ60, a first Jen cummins w350 dually 4x4 and several other trucks at really good prices rust free ( from Arizona and New Mexico) and drag them up to Canada. So I guess we're trading stuff back and forth. Congratulations on your successful endeavour - I know it is a good feeling when you finally get it home!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom