FJ40 Rear Bumper Ideas/Blueprints (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I am getting ready to build a rear bumper for my 1966 Toyota fj40. I have a few ideas in mind. I want it to hold a spare tire, a jack, and cooler/gas. I was wondering if anyone had any blueprints for their rear bumpers. I didnt want to just go for it without a plan. Am open to ideas of what I should do. I attached a picture of the idea I was going for.

1653882194706.png
1653882199717.png

Thanks

Spencer H

I am back into land cruisers after a 47 year hiatus. Since acquiring the ‘75 FJ40 I have now, I looked around hoping some of those old suppliers might still be around but not like it was in the 1970’s. However I had a tire carrier on the back of mine that was a swing away with the tire in the center and a 5 gallon jerry can on each side. Then I modded the rail on each side of the tire to to build a tubular frame to carry a 40qt cooler. It was a taller slender style so it did not stick out a lot with added overhang weight.

problem is for me, I started looking for a tire carrier that fit the entire back end and don’t see anything like it. When loaded, you had to lift it slightly to re-latch but not any issues with it

I agree and I thought the same thing. That is exactly what I was going for. But it's $2050 and I feel like I could build one for cheaper hence why I was asking if anyone had blueprints of their bumper.
I don't want to rain on your parade but... if you think you can make it less expensive then 4Plus and use the same or higher quality components I think you will be amazed at the cost you are about to incur. Add the cost of a CAD suite (commercial not freeware) so you can have your "free" blueprints and you have already busted your budget. So why do many build their own? Some already have the tools and material from other projects and jobs. Others want a unique feature that isn't available on a production carrier. And then their are some, like me, that like the challenge of making something that is exactly "my way." I can honestly tell you that there is no way I could make a carrier like 4Plus and sell it for a profit at that price point. Should you make your own? Absolutely!! Just know going in you aren't saving any money.

I don't want to rain on your parade but... if you think you can make it less expensive then 4Plus and use the same or higher quality components I think you will be amazed at the cost you are about to incur. Add the cost of a CAD suite (commercial not freeware) so you can have your "free" blueprints and you have already busted your budget. So why do many build their own? Some already have the tools and material from other projects and jobs. Others want a unique feature that isn't available on a production carrier. And then their are some, like me, that like the challenge of making something that is exactly "my way." I can honestly tell you that there is no way I could make a carrier like 4Plus and sell it for a profit at that price point. Should you make your own? Absolutely!! Just know going in you aren't saving any money.
great way to put it. Also had a question of how yours in connected to frame/body?

Here are a couple of threads that may help. Thread 1 has an image of the one I build but I don't have the original file. I used a downloadable CAD program called DeltaCad. Thread 2 was about my pivot pins with additional info and photos.

Post #8 in this thread is how I solved the brake light problem.

Last edited:
great way to put it. Also had a question of how yours in connected to frame/body?
Mine has 12, Class 10.9, 14mm bolts, through sleeved holes with the same strength nuts and split washers through the existing holes in the rear frame member.
Rear Bumper 06.jpg

@Cromagnon I don't get it. CAD suite? He asked for a blueprint which I am assuming refers to some measurements for what people have built. If you have the time, why not try to build it? Its amazing what can be built with a steady hand, a grinder, a welder and some steel - if you have more tools, even better! You are definitely raining on his parade and building something on your own should be encouraged, not discouraged. I appreciate that 4Plus builds great stuff, but I don't get the attitude that buy it rather than build it is better. It may very well end up better looking if you buy it, but that doesn't make it more useful. I'm all for supporting trying to do it on your own, pride of ownership is increased when your blood sweat and tears go into building a part of your cruiser. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Last edited:
I don't get it. CAD suite? He asked for a blueprint which I am assuming refers to some measurements for what people have built. If you have the time, why not try to build it? Its amazing what can be built with a steady hand, a grinder, a welder and some steel - if you have more tools, even better! You are definitely raining on his parade and building something on your own should be encouraged, not discouraged. I appreciate that 4Plus builds great stuff, but I don't get the attitude that buy it rather than build it is better. It may very well end up better looking if you buy it, but that doesn't make it more useful. I'm all for supporting trying to do it on your own, pride of ownership is increased when your blood sweat and tears go into building a part of your cruiser. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
OK...you need a picture, I get it, words are hard. The OP stated he could make it cheaper than 4Plus, I pointed out that just the material costs would be a challenge to meet that price point. No where did I state "buy it rather than build it is better." I actually encouraged him by stating "Should you make your own? Absolutely!!" So set the pipe down and learn to read. That is all for you.

OK...you need a picture, I get it, words are hard. The OP stated he could make it cheaper than 4Plus, I pointed out that just the material costs would be a challenge to meet that price point. No where did I state "buy it rather than build it is better." I actually encouraged him by stating "Should you make your own? Absolutely!!" So set the pipe down and learn to read. That is all for you.
I’ve actually researched the materials needed to build a copy of the 4plus bumper. I can do it for about 1/3 the cost using trailer spindles with greased bearings instead of the bronze bushing he uses. I also picked up a Destaco clamp to close it instead of the pin on a cable. Planning to copy Dave’s excellent design, but incorporate some of the features of the 4x4Labs bumper we put on our 80, like removable tire mount and cooler basket.

I don't get it. CAD suite? He asked for a blueprint which I am assuming refers to some measurements for what people have built. If you have the time, why not try to build it? Its amazing what can be built with a steady hand, a grinder, a welder and some steel - if you have more tools, even better! You are definitely raining on his parade and building something on your own should be encouraged, not discouraged. I appreciate that 4Plus builds great stuff, but I don't get the attitude that buy it rather than build it is better. It may very well end up better looking if you buy it, but that doesn't make it more useful. I'm all for supporting trying to do it on your own, pride of ownership is increased when your blood sweat and tears go into building a part of your cruiser. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
ladies please...just build what you want?/need ..have fun...
ladies please.

@Cromagnon really? Words are hard? A picture? You're the one that added buying a CAD license to the overall build cost to make a bumper at home...might as well get the bumper gold plated while you're at it....why not make it even better!!! Take a look at the original request (is that a clear enough picture?) and maybe you want to rethink your response to me. Yeah words are hard...hes talking about builidng himself a bumper to save himself some cash, not mass producing them and selling them....he doesnt need to sell it to make a profit...oh...and yeah...what @1MAC said, there is no way that the materials to buld a bumper are $2k....real keyboard warrior with the put down of me...well done...what is wrong with people these days...

@Cromagnon said:"OK...you need a picture, I get it, words are hard. The OP stated he could make it cheaper than 4Plus, I pointed out that just the material costs would be a challenge to meet that price point. No where did I state "buy it rather than build it is better." I actually encouraged him by stating "Should you make your own? Absolutely!!" So set the pipe down and learn to read. That is all for you"

Last edited:
Why don't you contact Dave at 4 Plus and see if he would be willing to sell you the components. Might save you some $$$. I know he recently posted about the price of steel getting out of hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom