2018 Land Cruiser GRJ76 "Overlander" For Sale - $125,000 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the link to the build thread. The owner is watching this thread, I am sure he will respond if he wants to.
I guess it sold or it got too much unwanted exposure. The craigslist listing got deleted.

There are other cruisers like this in the US, only difference is most owners avoid posting about them on forums and just enjoy them. It is what I would do if I was in the same position. It is a nice cruiser, I hope it doesn’t end up being scrap metal.

Ben aka @D_Web gave me his opinion of the 70 series compared to his 100 series a few years back at a Casner Mountain run. He was basing it from being an Australian with first hand experience with both. Sure it would be the same with 200 series as the 100 series.
Maybe he will post.

I imagine this registration required heavy dealings with some rural ADOT office.

Like, hundreds of dollars in Slim Jim bribe.

I imagine this registration required heavy dealings with some rural ADOT office.

Like, hundreds of dollars in Slim Jim bribe.

It was previously registered and plated in another state prior to AZ. My guess is that is how he worked the system in AZ....state to state registration change of some sort.

Ben aka @D_Web gave me his opinion of the 70 series compared to his 100 series a few years back at a Casner Mountain run. He was basing it from being an Australian with first hand experience with both. Sure it would be the same with 200 series as the 100 series.
Maybe he will post.

The single turbo V8 is “adequate” I suppose, can only imagine what a V6 would be like 😂 🐌

If you look at the posted figures for the 2018 model year, a GRJ76 comes in at 4961lbs and the 4Runner is 4400-4900lbs. I think Ben's statement above from an Australian use case is accurate. In Australia, you would expect to see as much as 1000lbs added to it for a well equipped build. More for a deluxe build. So you take a boxy profile with a poor CoD, much heavier running gear, lower overall gears, and more weight...you get a 1GR-FE that is working pretty hard to keep it all rolling. The 1GR-FE is a great powerplant, and it worked fine in almost all situations in my 2004 4Runner, but the 4Runner has far better aero, I never carried that much weight, and if I threw something on the roof or hitched a trailer, MPGs would go to 14-15 and the motor had to rev and downshift all the time.

I think the 1GR-FE in a 76/78 would be over stressed for full time duty. That is where a tuned 1VD is just a flat better option. All that said, here is the states, on paved roads, with out a bunch of stuff on it. It would probably be fine.

Having driven a single turbo V8 100's of miles it didn't feel much stronger than an 1HDT. Now the twin turbo V8 in the 200 series is an animal.
I will agree on the 200 series. I got to spend a good amount of time in a VDJ200 back in 2020. It was amazing!

why is one loaded and one not loaded....

If you look at the posted figures for the 2018 model year, a GRJ76 comes in at 4961lbs and the 4Runner is 4400-4900lbs. I think Ben's statement above from an Australian use case is accurate. In Australia, you would expect to see as much as 1000lbs added to it for a well equipped build. More for a deluxe build. So you take a boxy profile with a poor CoD, much heavier running gear, lower overall gears, and more weight...you get a 1GR-FE that is working pretty hard to keep it all rolling. The 1GR-FE is a great powerplant, and it worked fine in almost all situations in my 2004 4Runner, but the 4Runner has far better aero, I never carried that much weight, and if I threw something on the roof or hitched a trailer, MPGs would go to 14-15 and the motor had to rev and downshift all the time.

I think the 1GR-FE in a 76/78 would be over stressed for full time duty. That is where a tuned 1VD is just a flat better option. All that said, here is the states, on paved roads, with out a bunch of stuff on it. It would probably be fine.
You also have to keep in mind most if not all 70 series with 1GR-FE are going to be manual trans and much more responsive compared to the majority of american market options. Yes i'm aware the 6 speeds are available here. It goes without saying the 1VD is a better option. I simply chimed in when it was put out that the 1gr-fe was underpowered for the platform. Completely not the case.

You also have to keep in mind most if not all 70 series with 1GR-FE are going to be manual trans and much more responsive compared to the majority of american market options. Yes i'm aware the 6 speeds are available here. It goes without saying the 1VD is a better option. I simply chimed in when it was put out that the 1gr-fe was underpowered for the platform. Completely not the case.
Not underpowered at all. It will do the job. Its just that it would be “adequate” in all situations, which has long been Toyota’s common trait. Over axle, under engine. That approach is what makes them last so long, as well as get less than ideal mpgs. In the end, we need a test. I vote we pool our loose change and have @D_Web find us a GRJ76 and a VDJ76 while he is there this week and bring them back. Real world tests are always the best. We can even park them at my house….

I owned a 5th gen 4runner with that motor and sold it after 6 months. I was not impressed with it at all and the motor on a stock 4wd felt challenged heading up north in the mountains, it could accelerate uphill, but seemed to really need to work hard to do so. I wouldn’t consider a land cruiser with that motor ever.

An issue for me with the petrols is the widely varying fuel consumption. I could deal with a 1HZ that is as slow as a wet week but consistently returns the same mileage, but would be hesitant with a petrol that, while I’m sure is nicer to drive than 1HZ, makes planning stops between drinks more difficult.

Given the context of a remote area long distance tourer, I know what I’d prefer.

Post removed.

Last edited:
I was thinking of this thread again because a friend was telling me that VIN title swaps are sometimes done on illegally imported vehicles to commit insurance fraud because no reputable insurance company will insure a such vehicle until the VIN looks legit. Not saying this guy used a 200 series VIN for that purpose, but it makes sense to me now. I would never do it because getting into an accident with it would be a legal mess.

I have to wonder what happened to it. It was plated in VA and then later AZ. As long it stays here, it will always be a possible coffee can donor.
I thought the owner was watching this thread? Maybe they can speak to it?

I thought the owner was watching this thread? Maybe they can speak to it?

My bad.....I will delete my statement then.

Last edited:
My bad.....I will delete my statement then.
I wouldn’t worry about going that far. I meant it might be a chance for them to expolain how they were able to get it registered. Id love to know how they did it, legal or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom