Is this a 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been like this since i built my house in 2012. Who knows how much longer. The owner works in Japan for 8 months out of the year and next to impossible to get in touch with. We've had like 4 conversations since i built my home, all of which were about this rig. He claims he is going to fix it up someday, and had rebuffed any conversations on selling it.

20220526_153557.jpg

Yep. 40.

Thank's for the responses so far. Obviously it's pretty difficult to draw many conclusions, but is this a dream worth having? Could it actually be worth restoring this thing? Looks like the roof is jacked, some rust, and sitting for 10 plus years means there is alot of work to be done internally.

Depends what you do. Bare bones patina restore vs frame off (nut and bolt). If ya handy you will save money. If you have money and not handy, have someone do it. Or learn. Trucks are not hard to work on. Takes time and a little patience. Mud is a great resource. Looks like the top took a hit. Expect some issues trueing up the roof with top.

Last edited:
And possibly the frame.

Think it more than just the top. Look at the right fender and how the hood hangs over the bib on the right side. That's more than an adjustment to align that. The cowl may very well be tweaked.
Very possible that installing a fresh RF fender will push the grille panel back to stock position ???

Yeah it looks jacked up in a lot of places, and i don't feel comfortable just going on his property and taking more pictures of it. It's just a slap to the face to see it like this the last eight years when it's my dream LC.

Very possible that installing a fresh RF fender will push the grille panel back to stock position ???

Anything is possible. I'm going my the apron which doesn't look damaged and the way it's sitting between cowl/hood/bib. The Jerry can looks damaged and pressed into the hardtop. Would look long and hard before buying it for more than a couple thousand.

It almost looks like it was flopped over on the right side. I’d think the fuel can would be flatter, but I’d definitely look for evidence of more hidden damage.

The only roof I know of that had similar damage was from a low speed flop over. Minimal damage to the rig… but many things tweaked.

I’d restore it if I could get my hands on it… the body looks so much better than anything in these parts. But price is always a major factor… I’m seeing far too many $2-3k rigs that would need $15k to make them 1/2 decent being listed for $16k+ (for a barely running rust mutt of a rust bucket).

I’ve often thought it’d be a neat (but sad) thread to just post up pics of abandoned 40’s. Or those that are “going to restore it this winter”. There’s one in my neighbors yard that’s been in the same spot for about 25 years now. There’s small maples growing from the moss in the roof gutter.

I’ve often thought it’d be a neat (but sad) thread to just post up pics of abandoned 40’s. Or those that are “going to restore it this winter”. There’s one in my neighbors yard that’s been in the same spot for about 25 years now. There’s small maples growing from the moss in the roof gutter.
When he's not home, ask his wife if he might be interested in selling it. She's probably tired of looking at it.

When he's not home, ask his wife if he might be interested in selling it. She's probably tired of looking at it.
She is on the same page as him. She told me she turned someone away with $50k cash in hand….

She is on the same page as him. She told me she turned someone away with $50k cash in hand….

50K is a number that seems unreal for this FJ40. There are a lot in that price range in much better condition.

Depending on how much it has rusted just sitting there, it looks repairable to me. It looks like something fell against the roof/top of door frame. Tree trimming fail? The fender damage is separate and looks to have possibly pushed the apron back. All moot because they're going to let this thing rot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom