FJ62 1990 Check Engine Light after new stereo install/speedo cable off (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I put in a new stereo this weekend and when I pulled the dash originally I pulled the speedo cable accidentally. I drove around for a bit and noticed the speedo not working, so opened it up again and reattached the cable and all is good. But, now I have a check engine light. I pulled the EFI fuse and let it sit for about 10 mins, but still get the check engine light. Truck runs fine, all gauges and speedo work fine and radio works fine. Anything else back there that could have tripped the EFI?

Ya that’s the next step. It’s about to rain cats and dogs here though so it will have to wait.

So I pulled the codes and I didnt really understand them. First was two long blinks followed by 8 short, so 28 right? But then it blinked 5 fast blinks and one long. So what is that second half? First one seems to be O2 sensor.

Last edited:
So I pulled the codes and I didnt really understand them. First was two long blinks followed by 8 short, so 28 right? But then it blinked 5 fast blinks and one long. So what is that second half? First one seems to be O2 sensor.
Yes code 28 should be O2 sensor. As for code 51 here is what the repair manual shows....
IMG_2843.JPG

Is it 51 though? I thought the sequence was long was tens and shorts were single units. That’s why having 5 short followed by 1 long through me off.

The only thing impacted by disconnecting the speedo cable would be the vehicle speed sensor, that would be code 42.

Ya I must have accidentally yanked something else while I was in there. Gonna pull the dash tomorrow and see what’s what.

Ya I must have accidentally yanked something else while I was in there. Gonna pull the dash tomorrow and see what’s what.
Ever sort this out?

I did. It was 51 and an O2 sensor I believe. Cant remember the code off the top of my head. After I pass inspection I am going to work on the TPS and replce the O2 sensors. Just need it running for now.

Ok all sorted. Finally had time to get under the truck and do some work. Turns out when I pulled on the speedo cable it must have pulled on the O2 sensor wiring. I found the four wires from one sensor pulled from the connector with the prongs still on them. The O2 connector to the harness was an absolute bitch to get to as it was on top of the transmission. I had to pull it over to the passenger side by hand and then feed it back over to the driver side. Ultimately got the connector properly rewired and plugged back in. CEL was gone on start up. Weird that it would throw both a O2 and and 51 code but the disconnected O2 was the problem.

BTW cranked it and drove it and it doesnt seem to perform any different with the O2 connected or disconnected. Just the check engine light is off now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom