don't you dare ever " P.O. - UP " your FJ40 like this poor " thing " ...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ill just leave this right here. Yes you can, but why?:confused:
1976-Land-Cruiser-FJ-40-Hot-Rod-By-Allers-Rods-and-Customs8.jpg

the receiver hitch screws up the departure angle when dropping off ledges and its a bad recovery point. It will bend the rear crossmember up.

Testify….

The receiver hitch screws up the departure angle when dropping off ledges and its a bad recovery point. It will bend the rear crossmember up.

Testify….

X2

The PO of my 79 was a friend of mine (25 years since I bought and lost touch). He drove it like he stole it. Had one of those drop down hitches that uses the four holes intended for a pintle hook. Not bent bad but is bent. Hitch was removed but kept it to use to when I straighten crossmember out. Have a few others with this style hitch. None are left on once it's used. The best option in my opinion is the combo pintle/2" ball. Doesn't hang down between the crossmember and plenty strong enough for what FJ40 capable of towing. For any hard recovery use the shackle like the owners manuals shows easier to replace a shackle verses straighten the rear crossmember.

X2

The PO of my 79 was a friend of mine (25 years since I bought and lost touch). He drove it like he stole it. Had one of those drop down hitches that uses the four holes intended for a pintle hook. Not bent bad but is bent. Hitch was removed but kept it to use to when I straighten crossmember out. Have a few others with this style hitch. None are left on once it's used. The best option in my opinion is the combo pintle/2" ball. Doesn't hang down between the crossmember and plenty strong enough for what FJ40 capable of towing. For any hard recovery use the shackle like the owners manuals shows easier to replace a shackle verses straighten the rear crossmember.
My rear frame section is bent up from a drop hitch. When I had my rear bumper built, I put the shackle points inline with it. Basically in line with some of the mounting bolts, and a gusset tying the front face and the back face together. It could still get tweaked, but it'd take a pretty heroic yank to make it happen.

I still mounted the tube for the receiver under that rail, but there shouldn't be much pull or twist on it. Plus that bumper probably has twice the metal in it as the frame section.

Guess I'm years ahead with my 68. It got the jungle copper mine look back in 1985. Neighbor painted in exchange for some HVAC work I had done for him. Wanted an olive/brown color and this is what I got. Guess I can finally take out of the garage it been hidden from the world in shame.
View attachment 3017816
I actually like this! I feel your pain when you said you wanted more of an olive/brown, but this color is cool nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom