$2300 Quote from Maaco....what do you guys think? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK.

Now you need to post the name, address, phone number, and exact person you negotiated with on this paint job.

Define exactly what you did to keep costs down, then ask the owner for another discount because he's going to get a line of Land Cruisers in front of his door...........

Didn't negotiate anything, pulled up the truck the guy listed what needed to be done for the paint to look nice and then I told him some extra things I wanted done like some holes filled, rust cut out and treated....things like that. I took off the stock rack (they did the ribs on their own), took the lights and grill off, the ARB front off and my rear bumper was already off because I'm putting an NWTI one on there and that was it. They actually did extra prep on their own, the wipers, door handles, mirrors, rack ribs as mentioned.....they really went above and beyond for $2100. How about this, when I dropped the truck off I asked the guy who did the quote with me how much people usually tip the guys doing the work and he said "don't worry about that these guys get paid well", he was actually pretty adamant that I didn't need to tip.

To be honest with you I would have been happy with a lot less but it looks great, the only thing that looked crappy was where the flares are going but I knew that going in because they were going to be covered up anyway. It's not perfect by any means but it's a hell of a lot more than "trail paint" that's for sure.

There are a bunch of Maaco's in the area and they all have garbage reviews but this one had good reviews, it's just a good shop I guess.

EDIT: Also removed all the decals, I was changing them out anyway

Last edited:
Didn't negotiate anything, pulled up the truck the guy listed what needed to be done for the paint to look nice and then I told him some extra things I wanted done like some holes filled, rust cut out and treated....things like that. I took off the stock rack (they did the ribs on their own), took the lights and grill off, the ARB front off and my rear bumper was already off because I'm putting an NWTI one on there and that was it. They actually did extra prep on their own, the wipers, door handles, mirrors, rack ribs as mentioned.....they really went above and beyond for $2100. How about this, when I dropped the truck off I asked the guy who did the quote with me how much people usually tip the guys doing the work and he said "don't worry about that these guys get paid well", he was actually pretty adamant that I didn't need to tip.

To be honest with you I would have been happy with a lot less but it looks great, the only thing that looked crappy was where the flares are going but I knew that going in because they were going to be covered up anyway. It's not perfect by any means but it's a hell of a lot more than "trail paint" that's for sure.

There are a bunch of Maaco's in the area and they all have garbage reviews but this one had great reviews, it's just a good shop I guess.
So, please be specific on which one.

We like to reward good work with more work.

Oh sorry didn’t know you were serious, it’s in Farmington Michigan. Tell them Francis with the landcruiser sent you, ask for Joe or Tim both good guys…

Your be surprised how many people read this forum and are looking for good work.

I know I will easily drive 70-100 miles to get known quality work done on something I can't do myself.

Happy you had a HAPPY experience!!!

Anybody looking for paint / body on Florida or close let me know :cool:

Tampa Cruisers is waiting for all the IH8MUD business!

Manny.

Hey Francis, can I crash at your pad while my cruiser is being painted? Also, can I drive your Ferrari since my cruiser will be down for paint? Thanks in advance!
@Francis K , ahem

I think the OP"s 80 looks good for the money.

Having said that it might help the Mud community if someone with work experience (painting vehicles) could start a FAQ level thread.

Something like "what to look for when having your 80 painted" or "how to paint your 80" to include which components/supplies to ask for, paint brands (what is good, what is kerapp), clear coat, primers, metal trreatments, bondo or not, addtiives, ----. Discuss removing the flares, door handles, roof rack, rear dust deflector, painting door jams, removing glass, ----

Would be nice to see the entire process with a list of supplies/recommended components/brand names, written down in one place from beginning to end.

There was one nice write up by someone who did it himself (with his son), I forget who it was, changed the body color to a Desert Tan with ?black hood section. He removed the doors, lift gate, and rear hatch IIRC.

Last edited:
Hey Francis, can I crash at your pad while my cruiser is being painted? Also, can I drive your Ferrari since my cruiser will be down for paint? Thanks in advance!

You would have to ask the 17lb rabbit that I live with, he runs the show at the house and the two extra bedrooms are his but he's cool just requires payment in banana. I wouldn't burden you with the Ferrari brother I have that $200 a month Nissan Frontier lease ready to rock for you!

IMG_0331.PNG

Paint job looks great! Wish there was a Maaco like this in every state - I'm off to find one that can do similarly priced (and comparable quality) work to my LJ78. Perhaps I should just drive it over to Michigan!

I think the OP"s 80 looks good for the money.

Having said that it might help the Mud community if someone with work experience (painting vehicles) could start a FAQ level thread.

Something like "what to look for when having your 80 painted" or "how to paint your 80" to include which components/supplies to ask for, paint brands (what is good, what is kerapp), clear coat, primers, metal trreatments, bondo or not, addtiives, ----. Discuss removing the flares, door handles, roof rack, rear dust deflector, painting door jams, removing glass, ----

Would be nice to see the entire process with a list of supplies/recommended components/brand names, written down in one place from beginning to end.

There was one nice write up by someone who did it himself (with his son), I forget who it was, changed the body color to a Desert Tan with ?black hood section. He removed the doors, lift gate, and rear hatch IIRC.
I would be happy to help in this process. Don't have the time to be on the forum on a daily basis but always happy to share my knowledge on Cruiser paint and body. 27 Cruisers in the last 24 months!

Manny.

Are you still happy with the paint job? Anything different that you would have done? I am thinking of doing the same with Maaco (urethane + integrated clear). Not sure what to do?

I would be happy to help in this process. Don't have the time to be on the forum on a daily basis but always happy to share my knowledge on Cruiser paint and body. 27 Cruisers in the last 24 months!

Manny.

Just finished reading this thread....

Wow...27! I'm in the process of deciding who to paint my non-trail LC. I've received 2 quotes, both in the same ballpark. ($8-$10K). Closer to $8K if I keep the same paint color (emerald Green), $10K if I go to a new color - which I'm leaning towards. Both shops say they will remove all glass, doors, side mirrors, hood, etc so everything is the same color. I was looking for a thread that listed all the different trim/moldings I would need. I wish I had time to sand everything down myself (I like doing that stuff) but have zero time.

My goal is to have my girl look like it came off the showroom floor. But I don't mind keeping trim parts if they can be buffed/cleaned to the point where they look presentable. Here are the things that I definitely want to replace because they have been weathered to death.

1. The exterior window sill trim is starting to split apart on one window - I'll probably ask to have them all replaced.
2. There are a number if items around the windows that are all painted flat or gloss black too, including the roof gutters. Looking to have a white roof (for cooling vs looks)
3. Wiper blades - esp the rear wiper are weathered. I haven't looked but if they are available and not too expensive, I can replace those or possibly have them powder coated?
4. The rear tailgate Land Cruiser trim is crazed/cracked. I know these are available on ebay

Any other things I should make sure are included in my quote? I thought about getting a new front windshield (mine isn't OEM but it's pretty pitted) since it's out.

Thanks!

IMG_8742.jpg

IMG_8744.jpg

IMG_8745.jpg

I was looking for a thread that listed all the different trim/moldings I would need. I wish I had time to sand everything down myself (I like doing that stuff) but have zero time.
Check out post 433/434 for reference to all the rubber and mouldings. Hope it helps.

Do you think one stage or two stage maaco paint jobs are that much different?

Just finished reading this thread....

Wow...27! I'm in the process of deciding who to paint my non-trail LC. I've received 2 quotes, both in the same ballpark. ($8-$10K). Closer to $8K if I keep the same paint color (emerald Green), $10K if I go to a new color - which I'm leaning towards. Both shops say they will remove all glass, doors, side mirrors, hood, etc so everything is the same color. I was looking for a thread that listed all the different trim/moldings I would need. I wish I had time to sand everything down myself (I like doing that stuff) but have zero time.

My goal is to have my girl look like it came off the showroom floor. But I don't mind keeping trim parts if they can be buffed/cleaned to the point where they look presentable. Here are the things that I definitely want to replace because they have been weathered to death.

1. The exterior window sill trim is starting to split apart on one window - I'll probably ask to have them all replaced.
2. There are a number if items around the windows that are all painted flat or gloss black too, including the roof gutters. Looking to have a white roof (for cooling vs looks)
3. Wiper blades - esp the rear wiper are weathered. I haven't looked but if they are available and not too expensive, I can replace those or possibly have them powder coated?
4. The rear tailgate Land Cruiser trim is crazed/cracked. I know these are available on ebay

Any other things I should make sure are included in my quote? I thought about getting a new front windshield (mine isn't OEM but it's pretty pitted) since it's out.

Thanks!

View attachment 3018747

View attachment 3018751

View attachment 3018752
The list never ends my friend.

Check out post 433/434 for reference to all the rubber and mouldings. Hope it helps.
Thanks - but I’m not sure how to find a post by number.

That 80 is going to have a better than showroom finish when you’re done with it!

I really like the sanded finish of the first picture. Almost like a metallic camo.

Are you still happy with the paint job? Anything different that you would have done? I am thinking of doing the same with Maaco (urethane + integrated clear). Not sure what to do?

I would love to give you some input but I haven’t seen it since a couple weeks after I got it back! My welder has been driving me nuts putting the rear bumper and sliders on, every week has been “almost done, next week”. Getting to the point where I’m starting to consider using the stick instead of the carrot.

I miss my truck! I’ve got pallets full of new interior parts ready to go in and I want to do some sound deadening. I even have parts I need to get out to other guys after I replace them on mine, I’ve left them all waiting like a jackass…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom