My new rig pics + emmisions questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody my name is Jason. I grew up in AK but have been in CO since 98. I've had a few Toyota's over the years that I bought new. A 99 Tacoma, 03 Tundra, and 07 FJ cruiser. I've been on here on and off over years as well. The pics I'll add shortly are of my new to me triple locked 96 LX450 with almost 350,000 miles. I freaking love this truck and wish I would have bought one sooner. The truck is fairly clean, no rust, and almost everything works. It does have a salvage title from a front end collision @ 315k though. I think I got an ok deal on it considering the condition and the mods. I've been spending way too much time on here researching stuff. The wife is getting annoyed lol.

Thanks everyone for all you helpful posts! My most recent issue is the charcoal canister/fuel tank pressure. I tried doing LCP's vapor canister mod, opening it up and drilling out the check valve and replacing the charcoal. I ended up messing up the canister by grinding the top off incorrectly 😤. That and the fact that nobody makes a new canister makes me want to delete all the emissions stuff I can on the truck. Can someone please guide me in the right direction on deleting the evap system and possibly the egr, cat and anything else. Or if I should do any of that at all. I'm no auto mechanic but mechanically inclined. Tried searching but I'm looking for advice and directions.

Thanks!

Pics and new Ebay visors
7D5E85A6-CC27-456A-B168-8F915157CB93.jpeg
7795E152-D23C-450A-AF21-234F1CAD2ED0.jpeg
840EE32F-0E96-4227-BEFD-9F57E7CFFC13.jpeg
5D090A8D-C970-413A-9778-74289B4C339A.jpeg
15B56B17-E8A0-480D-A662-5DDAD8D13DA6.jpeg

Just replace the vapor canister with a vc120 it’s bigger than your old unit but been a common replacement on these. It is what I’m running with no problems and solved my pressure in the tank. As far as emissions delete there is a lot to talk about. I just did a complete rebuild and decided to keep all the systems. The egr system is a piece of work. But if properly maintained can be trouble free, they tend to clog at the intake manifold. Also a catch can will help with keeping your intake clean from blow by at the pcv valve. Nice rig and good luck.

C84D429B-31DA-4A04-957C-C73CC6848722.png

Hey everybody my name is Jason. I grew up in AK but have been in CO since 98. I've had a few Toyota's over the years that I bought new. A 99 Tacoma, 03 Tundra, and 07 FJ cruiser. I've been on here on and off over years as well. The pics I'll add shortly are of my new to me triple locked 96 LX450 with almost 350,000 miles. I freaking love this truck and wish I would have bought one sooner. The truck is fairly clean, no rust, and almost everything works. It does have a salvage title from a front end collision @ 315k though. I think I got an ok deal on it considering the condition and the mods. I've been spending way too much time on here researching stuff. The wife is getting annoyed lol.

Thanks everyone for all you helpful posts! My most recent issue is the charcoal canister/fuel tank pressure. I tried doing LCP's vapor canister mod, opening it up and drilling out the check valve and replacing the charcoal. I ended up messing up the canister by grinding the top off incorrectly 😤. That and the fact that nobody makes a new canister makes me want to delete all the emissions stuff I can on the truck. Can someone please guide me in the right direction on deleting the evap system and possibly the egr, cat and anything else. Or if I should do any of that at all. I'm no auto mechanic but mechanically inclined. Tried searching but I'm looking for advice and directions.

Thanks!
Welcome to the 80s club. @NLXTACY (Joey) is the owner of Wits End. Has 80s (and other series) OEM part, and other things you might not need but for sure want. He also has aluminum plates to delete your EGR.

I'm not sure on the deletion of the evap system, but there are a ton of smart folks on the site. I have an OEM canister I can sell you pretty cheap. It will need to be repacked with charcoal.

There is also a weeks worth of reading on the deleting of all the systems you mentioned and pros and cons of it. Search bar in the upper right corner will keep you busy and help decide with the way to go.

Just replace the vapor canister with a vc120 it’s bigger than your old unit but been a common replacement on these. It is what I’m running with no problems and solved my pressure in the tank. As far as emissions delete there is a lot to talk about. I just did a complete rebuild and decided to keep all the systems. The egr system is a piece of work. But if properly maintained can be trouble free, they tend to clog at the intake manifold. Also a catch can will help with keeping your intake clean from blow by at the pcv valve. Nice rig and good luck.

View attachment 3017570
Thanks man, I saw a post on those. Thats probably what I’ll end up doing VC120 or the AC Delco one. It just sucks we have to rig up a cheaply made piece of plastic. Someone should make a nice metal serviceable unit. If we’re supposed keep all these emission systems running by law , new oem parts or better should be available.

I
Welcome to the 80s club. @NLXTACY (Joey) is the owner of Wits End. Has 80s (and other series) OEM part, and other things you might not need but for sure want. He also has aluminum plates to delete your EGR.

I'm not sure on the deletion of the evap system, but there are a ton of smart folks on the site. I have an OEM canister I can sell you pretty cheap. It will need to be repacked with charcoal.
Thanks. I’ve checked out his site. Lots of good stuff on there. I’m sure I’ll be placing an order in the near future.

I may have to take you up on the new canister since I already spent $30 on the charcoal from an aquarium place. I was pretty frustrated with all the grinding though, especially after I messed it up (grinding the side instead of the top). Should have just cut it with a bandsaw or something.

I

Thanks. I’ve checked out his site. Lots of good stuff on there. I’m sure I’ll be placing an order in the near future.

I may have to take you up on the new canister since I already spent $30 on the charcoal from an aquarium place. I was pretty frustrated with all the grinding though, especially after I messed it up (grinding the side instead of the top). Should have just cut it with a bandsaw or something.
I grinded the top of mine off at the seam, then went around with a little screwdriver to pry it open. I used a clear liquid weld to reseal it.

I will pm you tomorrow with pics of the canister I'll sell you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom