Advice on blasting or acid dip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EStein

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys…moving right along here. Been meaning to update my thread but always run out of time/energy. Pretty much everything rebuilt from the floor pans rearward. Put it all together and now I’m taking it all apart again getting it ready for paint. Going to take that on myself as well. Not a day goes by that I don’t think about that beautiful green rust free 78 that I walked away from a few years ago. Decided to “save money” and buy a project instead. Haha!

So I’m getting ready to take a load of parts to the blaster or chemical washer. I’ve heard pluses and minuses on both. Regarding the Chemical wash, I imagine it takes off all the protection inside of the panels as well like the hollow cavities in the doors and hard top… on the other hand the sandblasting would not get into those cavities and I understand the chemical wash can also eat away the rust… In a good way. Just wanted to get your thoughts on which way you think might be best?

Taking in Hood, aprons, all four doors, windshield frame, front bezel, tire carrier, trans cover, and miscellaneous odds and ends hinges etc.

Thanks for any advice.

41C94655-C8FC-431C-9A78-CEC739BAE2D3.jpeg

I would have it sandblasted so you can see if there is any rust and bad metal hiding. Then after fixing all of the rust and bad metal and just before paint have it acid washed and then epoxy prime it within 24 hrs post acid wash.

I would have it sandblasted so you can see if there is any rust and bad metal hiding. Then after fixing all of the rust and bad metal and just before paint have it acid washed and then epoxy prime it within 24 hrs post acid wash.
Oh man. OK I’m gonna have to ponder that. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom