97 FZJ80 TCase CDL Stuck engaged after lower gears and part-time kit installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys running into an issue and I feel like I am at the end of my rope. Read all of the related threads and here is where I am at.
- Purchased lower gears and part time kit from Cruiser Outfitters
- Had A1 install the set up last week
- Reinstalled the Tcase, new switch and hooked up all the wires etc.
- Fired up the truck and the CDL light and ABS light come on - Drove and confirmed it is locked. Lifted one tire and confirmed just to be doubly sure it is stuck with CDL locked. Prior to getting this done I haven't had any issues with this happening.

Troubleshooting:
- Shifting in and out of Low to High doesn't disengage. Driving forward, reverse etc. doesn't unlock it.
- Pressing the new CDL switch off and on doesn't switch it off either
- What I can hear and discern
- When I shift into low I can hear the the relay click from within the cab and I can hear the CDL mechanical switch on the Tcase make a whirring sound.
- When I click the new part time button in the cab I can hear the same relay sound and the CDL mechanical wind up from under the truck
- I have unhooked the CDL indicator wire from the front side of the Tcase and the light does go off in the dash as well just to check

- That tells me it is getting power and it is trying to engage but for some reason is stuck. I have cleaned all the electrical wires etc. and am supposed to drive 6 hours to Moab on Saturday. So unless I figure out a solve I'm screwed:( Please help!!

Did you also install lock out hubs on the front at the same time?

Also, to clarify, you have a CDL switch and a "part time button"? Usually the CDL button is what acts as your 4WD switch on the T-case after the kit is installed.

You need to properly time the CDL and gear on top of the transfer case. Take the CDL actuator off, leave it plugged in and unlock it. On the inside where the gear sits, you'll be able to spin it so it will be in the unlocked position.

Did you also install lock out hubs on the front at the same time?

Also, to clarify, you have a CDL switch and a "part time button"? Usually the CDL button is what acts as your 4WD switch on the T-case after the kit is installed.
Sorry to be more specific. The FZJ80 US varient didn't come with a part time 4x4 option. I have the cdl button now installed in the dash and that is what I am referring too. Does that make more sense?

You need to properly time the CDL and gear on top of the transfer case. Take the CDL actuator off, leave it plugged in and unlock it. On the inside where the gear sits, you'll be able to spin it so it will be in the unlocked position.
I gave Slee a call and they said the same thing. Trying to get to the CDL actuator is a PITA from under the truck. Going to have to remove the Tcase again to get better access and see if that does it. Fingers crossed

Duggy that was it! Dropped the Tcase. Pried off the CDL housing. Switched the actuator to match. Popped her back in an viola! Pain to take it all off again and put it back on but now I am Moab ready:) Maybe next year I can do the official run with everyone else.

That's great news. Have fun on your trip!

If you have a need next time, you should be able to drop the tcase cross member and support with a floor jack enough to get access to the actuator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom