Windshield washer not working properly. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My windshield washer fluid is only spraying out of the rear and not the front. It doesn't matter which one I try and use, it sprays out on the rear window only. To my knowledge this just started happening, as it worked properly several months ago. I haven't tried to clean out the plumbing yet because I really don't think that is the problem, should I just go ahead and clean out the tube first to rule that out, or is there something else that would more likely be the culprit? Like I said, I really don't think it's a clog and I hate to waste my time doing something when there's a more likely reason for this issue.

My windshield washer fluid is only spraying out of the rear and not the front. It doesn't matter which one I try and use, it sprays out on the rear window only. To my knowledge this just started happening, as it worked properly several months ago. I haven't tried to clean out the plumbing yet because I really don't think that is the problem, should I just go ahead and clean out the tube first to rule that out, or is there something else that would more likely be the culprit? Like I said, I really don't think it's a clog and I hate to waste my time doing something when there's a more likely reason for this issue.
This would be the Windshield Washer Diverter Valve located on the Left front inner fender.

Buy a new one about $45 and about 15 minutes to replace.

This would be the Windshield Washer Diverter Valve located on the Left front inner fender.

I've replaced mine a couple of times. They're actually kind of crappy. Someone once posted about an aftermarket one that actually worked better.

The front and rear washer fluid hoses come off of the reservoir tank separately. Here’s a couple pictures of what I’m talking about. The photo with my finger in it is showing where the front washer hose comes off the tank.

8A189EB0-3137-4A3D-AEA9-718FE15A92E2.jpeg

145CDE73-8110-4329-893D-DF22C378A20D.jpeg

36A88BCD-360E-4401-AE70-BE93F3D1A953.jpeg

E9607757-C73C-448F-811D-84C37A56D931.jpeg

Disconnect the hose from the reservoir/pump assembly (no tools required, just pull it off I believe) and then activate the pump to see if you're getting any flow. If so it's a clog in the line. If not, check whether you can at least hear the pump motor whirring.

I pulled the pump off of the reservoir yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I think it's very odd that regardless of which window I try to clean (front or rear), the rear window pump sprays fluid. That makes me question the switch itself, like it only calls for the rear pump to be activated. What do you guys think?

There's only one pump, hence the need for the diverter valve.
Unlike the :princess: Sienna that has front and rear pumps...hummm I feel a mod coming on.

Ten or so years ago someone did come up with a mod or substituted part from another vehicle. The problem with the OEM diverter valves is that they only last about 10 years or so. There a small metal plate inside about the size of a US dime (~ 1.5cm) that is rubber coated. It's job is to open and close magnetically to divert the water to the front or rear squirters (US spec FZJ80).

What appears to cause the problem IMHO is that the thin rubber coating on that plate fails then the metal underneath begins to rust causing the rubber/steel plate to become lumpy and then it doesn't seal as it should so water goes both directions. Photos of the diverter valve taken apart were posted up years ago IIRC.

FWIW

Last edited:
There's only one pump, hence the need for the diverter valve.
Unlike the :princess: Sienna that has front and rear pumps...hummm I feel a mod coming on.
Mine appears to have two pumps, unless I'm mistaking the other black, pump looking thing that is attached to the reservoir and hooked up to the tube that feeds the rear window. See in the photos, the black thing that is just forward of the pump that my finger is pointing to. That black thing is connected to the tube feeding the rear window, and the other black pump is only connected to the tube that feeds the front windshield. I think that I'm not understanding exactly what I'm looking at here, and how it exactly works. Can someone please explain to me what they're seeing in the pictures I posted? The two tubes/hoses are totally separate, and are not connected anywhere in the system. One goes to the front and one goes to the back.

Mine appears to have two pumps, unless I'm mistaking the other black, pump looking thing that is attached to the reservoir and hooked up to the tube that feeds the rear window. See in the photos, the black thing that is just forward of the pump that my finger is pointing to. That black thing is connected to the tube feeding the rear window, and the other black pump is only connected to the tube that feeds the front windshield. I think that I'm not understanding exactly what I'm looking at here, and how it exactly works. Can someone please explain to me what they're seeing in the pictures I posted? The two tubes/hoses are totally separate, and are not connected anywhere in the system. One goes to the front and one goes to the back.
Please download the FSM for your year truck from the links above under "References"

The 92 may have a difference from the 93-97 versions.

In the FJ80 the front pump feeds the windshield and the rear pump feeds the back glass. The push button on the end of the stalk activates the front pump. You rotate the outer knob fully to activate the rear pump.

Are you saying that you get the rear to work activating either switch?

In the FJ80 the front pump feeds the windshield and the rear pump feeds the back glass. The push button on the end of the stalk activates the front pump. You rotate the outer knob fully to activate the rear pump.

Are you saying that you get the rear to work activating either switch?
Well cruiserdan, you just solved my problem. The problem all along is that I'm an idiot! I never even seen the button at the end of the switch/stalk, so I was never even activating the front washer pump. :bang: Thanks man, I appreciate it.
0A7E3EE5-0B16-4CF7-93A5-2EBFA8881E88.jpeg

C0EBC708-838F-4731-8188-127C851A84FB.jpeg

Sometimes the complexity is getting to the simplicity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom