Pink Fluid at Hose Clamp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I have a 1997 LC and am trying to find any hints on why we have a strong odor of exhaust in the car. Yes it does have 320,000 miles on it so that can explain some of it.

Can someone identify this leakage and help me understand what it is? Photo attached.

Thanks!
IMG_1496.JPG

This is a coolant leak. Toyota coolant forms a crusty pink when exposed to air which helps identifies leaks.

For exhaust smell, check the state of the front manifold/cat - through the passenger wheel arch you can see the 2 pipes from the manifold Y together. It is not uncommon on older 80s for a crack/separation to occur at the Y. If so, then exhaust will vent pre-cat (smelly) and can wander up and be sucked into the hvac air duct at the windshield and enter the cab.

cheers,
george.

For exhaust smell, check the state of the front manifold/cat - through the passenger wheel arch you can see the 2 pipes from the manifold Y together. It is not uncommon on older 80s for a crack/separation to occur at the Y. If so, then exhaust will vent pre-cat (smelly) and can wander up and be sucked into the hvac air duct at the windshield and enter the cab.

cheers,
george.
Hi, Thanks for the reply. Is this something that can be welded or have to buy new?

This is a coolant leak. Toyota coolant forms a crusty pink when exposed to air which helps identifies leaks.
Thanks for the knowledge, very much appreciated!

cheers,
george.
George, you nailed it! Just started it up and put my hand above and below the Y and felt air on both sides. What's the best way to fix this?

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Is this something that can be welded or have to buy new?
It mostly depends on where the crack develops. If it is in the middle of the pipe and easily seen, then most muffler shops can probably stitch it back together. If the crack is somewhere near where the Pipes merge, then most likely not. If you’re getting noticeable exhaust smell inside the cabin, you should probably be able to find the leak easily.

I would identify the leak first and then go from there. If you don’t know the history or the condition of the exhaust, it may be in your best interest to start preparing for a new converter all together. I have a rust free 80 with over 300K on the clock and my O2 sensors were basically welded in from normal exhaust corrosion over the years. I was able to extract them and replace with new sensors, but no shop would have went through the labor pains like I did…

^ A decent exhaust place can weld the Y back together again, though more than likely you'll need to pull it out of the vehicle to get a good weld all the way around. As stated, depends on where the crack/separation is. If small it can be done on vehicle, otherwise :(

Unfortunately toyota in their infinite (lack of) wisdom made the Y pipe and the front cat all one piece. So, you have a pretty expensive 'piece'. Add insult to injury we live if Kalifornia and so the cat has to be CARB approved - adds another few $hundred to the damage bill. There are some aftermarket options that are cheaper than the toyota OEM part - but you're still up in the $800 range IIRC... :(

cheers,
george.

^ A decent exhaust place can weld the Y back together again, though more than likely you'll need to pull it out of the vehicle to get a good weld all the way around. As stated, depends on where the crack/separation is. If small it can be done on vehicle, otherwise :(

Unfortunately toyota in their infinite (lack of) wisdom made the Y pipe and the front cat all one piece. So, you have a pretty expensive 'piece'. Add insult to injury we live if Kalifornia and so the cat has to be CARB approved - adds another few $hundred to the damage bill. There are some aftermarket options that are cheaper than the toyota OEM part - but you're still up in the $800 range IIRC... :(

cheers,
george.
Hi,
I just brought it down to the local muffler guy and he welded it for me for $40 bucks and took 30 minutes. No more smell as of now. Ahhhh, 1 down and several little things to go.
Thanks for your help!

Chris

Also check the firewall seal for the steering shaft, that's a common way exhaust and other odors from the engine bay can get into the cabin with the windows closed.

For the coolant leak; replace that sheit clamp with a Toyota clamp or Breeze constant torque clamp. If it still leaks replace the hose but also check the metal tube for corrosion under the hose.

Check your PHH (pesky heater hose (and all the other heater/radiator hoses), do a search for PHH) for leaks also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom