Check Engine Light and VSC Track and VSC Off Warning Lights Come On (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. I have a (somewhat new to me) 2004 LC. And I've had issues with the CEL & VSC Track and VSC Off warning lights coming on. I've reviewed a number of posts about this issue and learned a few things. The main thing being that something triggers the CEL Light -- which in turn causes the VSC Track and VSC Off lights to come on. That there is not a problem with the VSC. The causes that I have read about are myriad - including the gas cap not sealing properly, and wet computer electronics. In my case replacing the gas cap did not help.

I have noticed that this issue would occur (sometimes - not always) after putting as in the car. So I altered the amount of gas that I put in over the past few months. Just filling up until the pump nozzle clicked off - did not cause a problem.

But it seems that 'topping off' the gas tank (not until flowing gout of the fill tube - just adding a few more clicks of gas beyond when the pump stopped) - seems to cause the warning lights to come on. Do any of you good forum members have any insights into what might be going on? Thanks in advance - Mike

I believe the recommendation is to not add additional gas after the first click. The charcoal canister can have issues with the additional gas getting added.

charcoal canister may be flooded with gas which can cause all EVAP system errors. I would suggest get the code first no matter what.

I believe the recommendation is to not add additional gas after the first click. The charcoal canister can have issues with the additional gas getting added.
Thank you Awesome!
Thank you Awesome!

This this fix your issues?
Hello Synergy - So it has been an adventure. Over time, these same lights would light up periodically. Codes would be different ones - not always the same codes. I did have the charcoal cannister replaced with an OEM unit. That worked for awhile. Then codes came up that the mechanic said indicated that we should replace the 2 catalytic converters. Instead I asked to have the sensors attached to the cats replaced. And that worked for a number of months. Then just last week the lights lit up again. Codes were Po172 and P0175 - rich bank 1 and rich bank 2 (new codes from before). The mechanic ran some tests and determined that this was due to a faulty mass air flow meter. They replaced that (reran the tests to confirm) and all has been good since. I'm starting to think that some of the check engine light issues/codes are due to different systems that are talking to each other via the car's computer - and if 1 is off slightly - and another one is also off slightly - well, that trips the lights and codes. Finding the correct cause then becomes somewhat iffy - except in certain situations with certain codes - like the most recent ones.

Hello Synergy - So it has been an adventure. Over time, these same lights would light up periodically. Codes would be different ones - not always the same codes. I did have the charcoal cannister replaced with an OEM unit. That worked for awhile. Then codes came up that the mechanic said indicated that we should replace the 2 catalytic converters. Instead I asked to have the sensors attached to the cats replaced. And that worked for a number of months. Then just last week the lights lit up again. Codes were Po172 and P0175 - rich bank 1 and rich bank 2 (new codes from before). The mechanic ran some tests and determined that this was due to a faulty mass air flow meter. They replaced that (reran the tests to confirm) and all has been good since. I'm starting to think that some of the check engine light issues/codes are due to different systems that are talking to each other via the car's computer - and if 1 is off slightly - and another one is also off slightly - well, that trips the lights and codes. Finding the correct cause then becomes somewhat iffy - except in certain situations with certain codes - like the most recent ones.
Greetings mrhavis. An “adventure,” that’s putting it nicely. It’s more like a FUBAR challenge, if you ask me. I’ve about had enough of all of these “gremlins” in this rig. Although, I’m reading numerous threads and watching numerous YT videos about folks having he same issues. Wish I had kept all my previous older LC’s, stayed away from these complicated LX’s. My wife’s 2015 isn’t bad, yet, but this ’07 puzzles me about every 6 months with some oddity, and it just has 150k on the clock. I really like this ‘07model but it sure is kicking me in the side.

Thanks for your response!

Greetings mrhavis. An “adventure,” that’s putting it nicely. It’s more like a FUBAR challenge, if you ask me. I’ve about had enough of all of these “gremlins” in this rig. Although, I’m reading numerous threads and watching numerous YT videos about folks having he same issues. Wish I had kept all my previous older LC’s, stayed away from these complicated LX’s. My wife’s 2015 isn’t bad, yet, but this ’07 puzzles me about every 6 months with some oddity, and it just has 150k on the clock. I really like this ‘07model but it sure is kicking me in the side.

It's not LXs that are problematic - it's LXs and LCs after 1999, and it got steadily worse after that. They didn't "work the bugs out" over the model run as so many people presume. They introduced the bugs - that is the sophistication and technology that may make vehicles better when new but also more troublesome when they get older. To me the 1998 and 1999 100 series, LX and LC, are basically an 80 series with a V8. Those are the only years of the 100 series that I will own.

RE: replacing the charcoal cannister. This did correct one of the check engine light issues. But after a while - new issues not related to the charcoal cannister fix came up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom