Tall skinny research 255-85-16 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am running Coopers 255/85/16 on stock rims. Replaced the PO 285/65/18 rims and tires with these. Better handling, mileage improved by 1/2 mile and by 2 mi. on the Hwy. Great for desert off-road. Little soft on the edges after 20k, I should have paid for an alignment when I bought them and first rotation. Since I rotate every six months, definitely pay for an alignment. The sound was reduce after alignments. They still have good tread depth and I have never had any issues off-roading. The sidewalls have held up (biggest problem with Sonoran rocks is side punctures from volcanic rock). They are not as quiet when new, however, who cares, it is a Lexus, I have sound deadening in my truck. I don't put silly spacers on my truck. Check out my Instagram account for photos.

I run the Dick Cepek Extreme Country in 255/85R16. They were the lightest tires I could find in that size (50#), which is what I was after. They're made by Cooper, E-rated but only two ply sidewalls, which saves weight. I was fine with the tradeoff because I know my terrain. They've lasted a long time and I plan to stick with them going forward.

IMG_20200101_144604-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice... Dick Cepek were always a nice looking tire but I could seem to find who was the main manufacturer. Good to know they are Coopers. The other I have always wondered about (and tread pattern leads me to believe they are Cooper as well) are the Mickey Thompson. Their BAJA ATZ p3 has almost identical tread pattern to the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx.

Nice... Dick Cepek were always a nice looking tire but I could seem to find who was the main manufacturer. Good to know they are Coopers. The other I have always wondered about (and tread pattern leads me to believe they are Cooper as well) are the Mickey Thompson. Their BAJA ATZ p3 has almost identical tread pattern to the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx.
Cooper manufactures several tire names you might recognize.

Screenshot_20201230-095533.png

Ok I'm going to need some more information on that grill. Just maybe not in this tire thread.
I'll send you a PM.

I run the Dick Cepek Extreme Country in 255/85R16. They were the lightest tires I could find in that size (50#), which is what I was after. They're made by Cooper, E-rated but only two ply sidewalls, which saves weight. I was fine with the tradeoff because I know my terrain. They've lasted a long time and I plan to stick with them going forward.

View attachment 2539179
Off topic: how are you liking your dissent RB (looks to be the "no-cutt")? Aluminum or steel (I imagine alum since your concern of tire weight).

Finally, knowing that bumper has a ton of nuts/bolts, any concerns of vibration loosening?

Off topic: how are you liking your dissent RB (looks to be the "no-cutt")? Aluminum or steel (I imagine alum since your concern of tire weight).

Finally, knowing that bumper has a ton of nuts/bolts, any concerns of vibration loosening?
I love it. It's a no-cut hybrid (steel/aluminum). I bought it before the full aluminum was available and would have preferred the weight savings, as you said. I've had zero issues with it, honestly. Putting it together was a bit of a puzzle but that's about it. The latching system is also a joy to use.

I love it. It's a no-cut hybrid (steel/aluminum). I bought it before the full aluminum was available and would have preferred the weight savings, as you said. I've had zero issues with it, honestly. Putting it together was a bit of a puzzle but that's about it. The latching system is also a joy to use.
Thanks so much. Ur opinion as well as a San Diego 100 owner (well Lc owner) are well on the way to sealing the deal for me.

Let's hope the new year allows for great adventures for all!

Thanks so much. Ur opinion as well as a San Diego 100 owner (well Lc owner) are well on the way to sealing the deal for me.

Let's hope the new year allows for great adventures for all!
One of the guys in my club has a first generation steel one on his LX and loves it. I poked around on it when we were at a club run and honestly it is an exceptionally nice bumper. For me it has been one of my favorites and the cost for it compared to a Slee, ARB, Dobinson, etc. is all pretty standard so I personally would rather help a small guy than one of the larger companies (they will get my money with other stuff). Only other one that I have liked as much is Jason's (@TRAIL TAILOR ) new 100 series bumper. I may go that way since he is closer to me than Dissent, but will all come down to when I actually purchase.

I added wheel spacers and I'm VERY happy with the look and performance improvements! It feels like there is less body roll in turns and the steering feels more precise.

Pics:

1611093754266.jpeg

1611093732601.png

1611095435213.png

1611095451142.png

Last edited:
I linked the spacers I purchased in the last post :)

Here it is again: Wheel Spacers

I personally don't think there is any downside - other than you have to spend $. It's kind of strange, it's only 1.25" difference, yet it looks soooooo much better.

UPDATE: While I still love the look with wheel spacers, make sure you buy hub centric spacers. I thought I was doing that by buying from what I thought was a reputable place (Just Differentials), but I ended up with wheel spacers that don't work for the 100 series, thus causing excessive vibration.

Last edited:

View attachment 2539179
Sorry to resurrect this thread.
How’s the highway road noise with this tire? Still liking it?

I’m looking to go this route as well, but no spacers so it’ll pretty much have the stand out of the stock tire. I have a 100. A friend of mine runs 33x10.5x16 on his FJ73 and he wouldn’t run anything else. I’ll see if I can get some pics. But I’m watching this thread also for any updates before I spend $$.

To those running spacers with 255's, such as @Clunky How big is the difference in handling and road manners? Also is there any concern of tire to fender contact? I wouldn't think so but curious. Thanks

To those running spacers with 255's, such as @Clunky How big is the difference in handling and road manners? Also is there any concern of tire to fender contact? I wouldn't think so but curious. Thanks

I did not encounter any rubbing issues when I was running spacers.

As an FYI, I'm no longer running spacers because I bought the wrong kind (they weren't hub centric). The spacers I purchased are still advertised for 98+Land Cruisers on the just differentials web site, so don't buy there! I sent multiple requests and attempted to reach customer service in different ways without ever getting a response. Do not shop at www.justdifferentials.com !

I did not encounter any rubbing issues when I was running spacers.

As an FYI, I'm no longer running spacers because I bought the wrong kind (they weren't hub centric). The spacers I purchased are still advertised for 98+Land Cruisers on the just differentials web site, so don't buy there! I sent multiple requests and attempted to reach customer service in different ways without ever getting a response. Do not shop at www.justdifferentials.com !
Unforturately problems with justdifferentials is a common thing among these forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom