Does anyone know what these connections are called 1991 fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lyz

Threads
8EC9B431-E988-45C8-BA6F-DE75F09C940A.jpeg

Did you test the vsv? Why are you replacing?

Fyi, the truck runs perfectly fine with all of them removed. Just reference the FPR to manifold vacuum.

Thank you, I’ll check into that. I’m not as knowledgeable as I should be.
The wires were broken, it looked like an easy fix. I had some alternator problems but got that figured out. I re- pinned the blue plug and it started. So as a test I wiggled the plug and it died. Re- wiggled and it started.

The grey one is the VSV for the smog pump. V1 in the FSM.
The blue one is the VSV for the EGR. V2 in the FSM.
The brown one is the VSV for the fuel pressure regulator. V3 in the FSM.

1652618066564.png

View attachment 3009301
Thank you for the info. My problem was the vsv. On another note do you have any information about the mysterious, internment, starting problems in early 90’ models?

View attachment 3009301

Thank you for the info. My problem was the vsv. On another note do you have any information about the mysterious, internment, starting problems in early 90’ models?
What would you like to know? Please be specific.

What would you like to know? Please be specific.
I’ve owned my ‘91 fj80 for 3 years now. I live in Texas where it gets pretty hot come spring and summer. I rarely have the start problem in the cooler temps….So it seems to really be an issue ,after I’ve been driving for about an hour (hot outside, ac on). I park, turn the key off, lock it up, gone 5 to 15 mins, put the key in try to crank and get nothing… no starter spin, no click, just silence. I usually raise the hood to help the cool down.( I’m not sure if that has anything to do with “it”.) I then wait for about 30 mins . (It seems to take less time to start if, I’m in the shade.) One time I was parked in the shade,with the hood up, it was really quiet outside and when I went to crank it,I heard a click as istarted, it seemed to come from the right side (passenger) of the engine compartment.
I’ve recently replaced the starter relay, which didn’t seem to help but, it was a cheap part from Auto Zone.

I’ve owned my ‘91 fj80 for 3 years now. I live in Texas where it gets pretty hot come spring and summer. I rarely have the start problem in the cooler temps….So it seems to really be an issue ,after I’ve been driving for about an hour (hot outside, ac on). I park, turn the key off, lock it up, gone 5 to 15 mins, put the key in try to crank and get nothing… no starter spin, no click, just silence. I usually raise the hood to help the cool down.( I’m not sure if that has anything to do with “it”.) I then wait for about 30 mins . (It seems to take less time to start if, I’m in the shade.) One time I was parked in the shade,with the hood up, it was really quiet outside and when I went to crank it,I heard a click as istarted, it seemed to come from the right side (passenger) of the engine compartment.
I’ve recently replaced the starter relay, which didn’t seem to help but, it was a cheap part from Auto Zone.
most likely your starter. Try to hit the starter with a long pry bar or wrench a couple times and try to start and see if it turns over? If it does, then you know your culprit. Mine used to have intermittent no start and i have been using the above method for a few months and finally got so bad that i finally rebuilt the starter with new OEM parts and it has been working flawlessly now for 2 yrs. Also make sure your grounding for the engine is tight as well. good luck

Thank you for taking interest. I do love this truck but, it’s beginning to feel one-sided.😢

most likely your starter. Try to hit the starter with a long pry bar or wrench a couple times and try to start and see if it turns over? If it does, then you know your culprit. Mine used to have intermittent no start and i have been using the above method for a few months and finally got so bad that i finally rebuilt the starter with new OEM parts and it has been working flawlessly now for 2 yrs. Also make sure your grounding for the engine is tight as well. good luck
That never worked for me. It’s always the waiting for it to cool down.

The US spec 80 Series never had a starter relay, so I'm not sure what you replaced.
If your starter is 30 years old it is likely well past its lifespan. Be sure to replace it with the proper Denso unit. Aftermarket starters have a very short lifespan in these vehicles.

You could also try replacing the starter solenoid contacts and plunger, and cleaning out the bore. OEM parts are available from Toyota or you can simply purchase the kit from Absolute Wits End.

If you search this forum you'll find many threads on replacing the contacts and plunger.

The US spec 80 Series never had a starter relay, so I'm not sure what you replaced.
If your starter is 30 years old it is likely well past its lifespan. Be sure to replace it with the proper Denso unit. Aftermarket starters have a very short lifespan in these vehicles.

You could also try replacing the starter solenoid contacts and plunger, and cleaning out the bore. OEM parts are available from Toyota or you can simply purchase the kit from Absolute Wits End.

If you search this forum you'll find many threads on replacing the contacts and plunger.
I replaced the starter a few years ago. I’m not sure what brand it was. I will check it out and get back with results. I’ve set this Saturday as a sort of “Do or die day” . Thank you so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom