Black Housing DEPO Lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hope you mean that you want to do a HID projector conversion. If you just paint the reflectors black and run bulbs, you'll hardly get any light output. Unless you mean the outermost plastic piece that's just behind the glass?

For what it's worth, when I did my HID conversion, instead of an oven I used a large cardboard box with a hole cut in it. Stuck my Porter Cable adjustable heat gun through the hole, and slowly ramped up the temperature over the course of about 20 minutes. It was December and they were freezing cold, so I took it slow.

I found that pulling them out at about 160 degrees, then running the heat gun around the perimeter of the glass for a minute or so was sufficient to separate the glass from the plastic housing. The plastic housing was so flexible at this point that I would worry about going to a higher temperature.

Also, Harbor Freight's plastic "trim and molding tool set" was really useful for prying the glass free.
Yes I was just talking about the outermost chrome, keep the inner reflective chrome. I don’t plan on doing any HID stuff, just running straight LED bulbs. I know I know it’s not as effective or angled or etc. but it’s just what I like and am not worrying as much about those items.

Yes I was just talking about the outermost chrome
Okay, that makes way more sense.

I was perfectly happy with my Leppein LEDs in Depo housings until I had to drive a mountain pass with hardly any lane markings or reflectors left. The LED pattern was just too narrow to maintain speed in the curves. The projectors have a really nice, wide, even pattern.

The LEDs were great for around town and local, well-marked rural roads, though. I kind of miss the kick-up on the right side that illuminated road signs like it was high noon...

Okay, that makes way more sense.

I was perfectly happy with my Leppein LEDs in Depo housings until I had to drive a mountain pass with hardly any lane markings or reflectors left. The LED pattern was just too narrow to maintain speed in the curves. The projectors have a really nice, wide, even pattern.

The LEDs were great for around town and local, well-marked rural roads, though. I kind of miss the kick-up on the right side that illuminated road signs like it was high noon...
Oh absolutely. My plan is to just run some LED bulbs then have some pod lights or something along that line to compensate in the super dark drive times but don’t plan on making a ton of those on road since this will be a daily when I choose but mainly a weekend warrior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom