Looking for sheet metal/body guy Norcal/NorNV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I bought my 60 a few years ago it had some pretty good rock rash on the rocker panels under the doors on both sides.

I ended up having a friend of a friend do it for me, and like most bro deals, it went terribly wrong.

He ended up just globbing 1/2" thick bondo on it and spraying it with truck bed liner to cover it up.

So a full day with a wire wheel and a lesson, I am back at square one.

PXL_20220130_220409038.MP.jpg

PXL_20220130_220415349.MP.jpg

Does anyone have a good body guy that can help me? Preferable close to Reno or mobile (truck is non driving right now).

All the local body shops I have talked to (Reno, NV) don't really do old school sheetmetal work. They seem to just replace plastic panels on newer cars

When I bought my 60 a few years ago it had some pretty good rock rash on the rocker panels under the doors on both sides.

I ended up having a friend of a friend do it for me, and like most bro deals, it went terribly wrong.

He ended up just globbing 1/2" thick bondo on it and spraying it with truck bed liner to cover it up.

So a full day with a wire wheel and a lesson, I am back at square one.

View attachment 3007797
View attachment 3007798

Does anyone have a good body guy that can help me? Preferable close to Reno or mobile (truck is non driving right now).

All the local body shops I have talked to (Reno, NV) don't really do old school sheetmetal work. They seem to just replace plastic panels on newer cars
I had the same trouble that you’re having re: finding a shop. So, I took the leap and did it myself. Did some rocker work/fender/quarter panel.

These guys make good patch panels. Toyota Land Cruiser Rust Repair Panels - https://www.alfaparts.net/tlc.htm

They need additional shaping to fit “perfectly”, but they are a good option.

Let me encourage you to do this yourself. Welding is an art. Your first welds will look terrible (practice on scrap before touching your truck), but they will get better.

Last edited:
I appreciate the suggestion, and it looks like a good option.

Time is not my friend right now. Between work, kids and the million other projects I have going on, I just don't have as much time to work on the 60 as I would like.

I am trying to do as much as I can myself, but bodywork is not one of them. I just dont enjoy it. This is something I am willing to pay for.

Thanks,

I appreciate the suggestion, and it looks like a good option.

Time is not my friend right now. Between work, kids and the million other projects I have going on, I just don't have as much time to work on the 60 as I would like.

I am trying to do as much as I can myself, but bodywork is not one of them. I just dont enjoy it. This is something I am willing to pay for.

Thanks,
I get that, man. Time is money and precious.

If you do find a shop that will do it (just the patching/welding), you'll probably be looking at $2-3k minimum (I'm in KY and that's the price that I got quoted for just the rocker work that I did - no finishing/no painting). $7k for rockers/quarters/fenders. I wasn't willing to pay that much.

Many body shops use the Wolf Steel rockers (check around on Mud and you'll see those who don't fabricate their own, tend to use Wolf). If you supply the material, it will help with the budget, if that is a concern. If not, heck, get someone to fabricate to factory spec.!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom