Newbie soft top question, who’s still in business? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not to hijack a thread, because it is relevant, but could anyone with SOR tops and door skins post pictures and their thoughts? I am looking really hard at them for my FST and would also appreciate first hand insight. That Dirt Road Top looks absolutely primo though.

PXL_20220506_002239578.PORTRAIT.jpg

Not to hijack a thread, because it is relevant, but could anyone with SOR tops and door skins post pictures and their thoughts? I am looking really hard at them for my FST and would also appreciate first hand insight. That Dirt Road Top looks absolutely primo though.

View attachment 3003912
Buy once, cry once. I can attest to the quality of Dirt Road Tops (@Julie2006) quality.

We used to wait over a year for tops when the only option was Ehsan in Pakistan. 8 months for the Dirt Road top seems fast, and you're supporting a small business.

FWIW, I spoke to Julie Friday. Lead time is now one year. She can't find anyone to run the sewing machines.

😡 $17 per hr. sewing all day or six-figures annually shaking down companies at an ESG getting funded by government fiat $’s or dark money making stupid apps for cell phones. Crappy world, I hope Julie can get help, I’ve seen several local companies go TU because of labor/cost issues. Yeah, I know this isn‘t chat. Tech - from what I’ve seen, go with Julie and wait a year. 🤷‍♂️

What kind of downpayment is she asking for?
I didn't ask. She's sending me a couple of material samples and I was waiting on them before I placed the order.

I'm thinking about taking my summer vacation in Easley and applying for a summer part time job there.

She was asking for 1/2 2nd half before delivery. Go ahead order it and get your soft top bows if you need them and start fabbing them up in the interim.

She was asking for 1/2 2nd half before delivery. Go ahead order it and get your soft top bows if you need them and start fabbing them up in the interim.
What is the best way to get ahold of her? I messaged her through her Facebook business page but haven't heard back yet. I too wish I lived where her shop is. I have dabbled in sewing and that could be a neat job. Probably pays the same I make as a carpenter haha

Hi y’all. After having a Jeep and FJ Cruiser Ive now pulled the trigger and finally gotten the FJ40 I’ve been looking for. Only real issue is that it needs a new top. After much research it appears this that the primary options available for soft tops are SOR, Bestop, and Relik. Looks like the other vendors are either out of business or have super long wait times so I’ve ruled them out. Id like something that works with the original frame/hoops that I have and the jeep esthetic of the Bestop isn’t my thing so I’m mainly interested in the SOR or Relik tops. Am I missing other vendors that I should look for? Also anyone have a good local shop in the North Alabama / Middle Tennessee area. I’d rather support local whenever possible.

Thanks y’all.
required pic attached

View attachment 2991669
Just stumbled on this:
"Best FJ40 soft top in the USA!" well, that's the claim anyway.

But it takes 2 months to be delivered and it’s out of Miami……
I’m guessing someone is flipping TROA soft tops and repackaging them
I have a strong suspicion you're correct. I saw another add for what looked like the same top, for $945 and had TROA all over the add.

I have no idea how the two compare with each other, or with Julie's top(s), though. I do know that Julie, after several iterations with Marshall, has a number of pattern version, and I'd bet they are all very close to what Toyota would have done, knowing Marshall.

I have a strong suspicion you're correct. I saw another add for what looked like the same top, for $945 and had TROA all over the add.

I have no idea how the two compare with each other, or with Julie's top(s), though. I do know that Julie, after several iterations with Marshall, has a number of pattern version, and I'd bet they are all very close to what Toyota would have done, knowing Marshall.
Close but I made improvements. Ironic that SC used to the textile capital of the world. Still believe we are in the US but finding skilled sewing operators isn't easy. She is doing the best she can. Covid really screwed her employee situation up. But she is tough as nails and will get through this.

😡 $17 per hr. sewing all day or six-figures annually shaking down companies at an ESG getting funded by government fiat $’s or dark money making stupid apps for cell phones. Crappy world, I hope Julie can get help, I’ve seen several local companies go TU because of labor/cost issues. Yeah, I know this isn‘t chat. Tech - from what I’ve seen, go with Julie and wait a year. 🤷‍♂️
It's been exactly a year for me and still no top and no communication from her either. I paid in full and I'm starting to worry. She told me two more months back in December then told me 2 more months in February then told me 2 more months in April then told me 2 more months in June. Its now August 2 months later and an entire year since the order. I'd say she either took my money or she is really bad with communication and planning. Hopefully it arrives soon.

I bought a top from Relik. Online it says 3 weeks. After I prompted they told me it was 6 weeks. Ordered June 20th and UPS just dropped it off 10 mins ago. Clearly it was made in Columbia since the labels and customs tape was still on the box. I have a Colombian FJ40 so it is appropriate for me.
I‘ll post pictures after I get it installed. Haven’t even unwrapped it yet. I make no endorsement or recommendation of Relik. They were the only option that I could track down that wasn’t multiple months or a Bestop.

Alaska60 good luck hopefully your order will come in soon.

I bought a Relik top and frame a few years back. I would NEVER buy from Relik again. The soft top material is good, but never received the rubber seal for the rear doors, the handle for the rear door, and no turn tabs. I reached out to Relik multiple times over the first year after I received the soft top and frame. I finally gave up and jimmy rigged it. Avoid Relik.

I received the top, ambulance door panels, turn tabs, and hold downs. Nothing else. No screws, gaskets, etc.. the top is OEM style and requires the front trim and has the strap style hold downs. My previous top was not that style (I had the front clamp arrangment) so I’m using a repurposed front window trim from Bestop for Jeep (Bought on Amazon for $33). The ambulance door metal I’m reusing although it in pretty bad shape. The ambulance door rubber seal I’m using shower door sweep in a roll that fits into the old trim I have. At this price I would expect all the trim, accessories, and wear items should be also included. All you get is the top and door panels.

i have no complaints against the top so far but Relik could do better. Communication was a lacking, I had to prompt for updates. No instructions. And it is very much a gamble to know what you be getting. I would not consider the price great, it is ok. The primary selling point is availability and it is a legit decent quality top. If they would source the accessories, develop some instructions and documentation, and communicate a little better I think it would be a viable source. I can appreciate martymart‘s concern that the parts that absolutely should be included are not and you won’t know that from the order. So if you do use them source all the parts elsewhere first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom