Which AISIN fan clutch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FCT-017 or FCT-004? Could some please help with this ? And point me in the right direction here for tips, tricks, go-bys? Thanks very much

Not a parts expert, but AFAIK:
FCT004 is the standard fan clutch for a 93-97 FZJ80 with the 1FZFE engine
FCT017 is for the 91-92 FJ80 with the 3FE engine

This one. It's legendary.

Last edited:

Why is it legendary?

Why is it legendary?
Well, as you know, this is THE blue fan clutch mod of landtank fame. And as you also know, if it's good enough for nlxtacy and wits' end, that's 5 stars right there. :)

Don't make me look up those endless blue fan clutch mod threads. The Truth Is Out There... (Cue X-Files theme) :)

So it’s worth the $$$$

Not a parts expert, but AFAIK:
FCT004 is the standard fan clutch for a 93-97 FZJ80 with the 1FZFE engine
FCT017 is for the 91-92 FJ80 with the 3FE engine
FCT-049 is for the 3FE
FCT-004 is for the 1FZ-FE
The FCT-017 is for an unspecified Toyota according to Aisin.

It's a bit confusing. Looking at Rockauto the FCT-017 (AISIN part#) will work for the FJ62 with the 3FE engine, OEM # 16210-61121 (OEM part still available in the US). Looks like this part may also fit other LC's (?2F, 3F, 3FE)) going back to the late 70's (parts gurus chime in).

AISIN # FCT-049 (OEM # 16210-61160) as mentioned above is correct for a 91-92 FJ80 with the 3FE engine (OEM fan clutch discontinued in the US).

A WAG looking at images of both is that both may fit and work in either vehicle but likely have different set points when they engage.

IDK and FWIW

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that @NLXTACY bought like five new (and unmodded) AISINs on amazon, only to find they had zip oil inside. How/why that happened, I dunno; AISIN is known for high quality. But something to consider...

To add another data point, I purchased a new AISIN blue hub and while it shipped with oil in it my 80 tended to run hot at idle to the point that the AC turned off a few times after initial install. Tuned the port opening temps and changed the oil and it's been a solid performer ever since.

It may have been an exception but based on that one experience I'd never install a fan clutch without giving it the treatment first.

I ordered a new aisin and attempted to open it up only to round a screw head. Redline landcruisers has a modified as well, similar price. I'm not familiar with either company. Can someone provide some insight into which company I should go with?

Last edited:
Which is why changing the viscosity changes the temp points for the fan...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom