FJCO +8/80 Rear Brake Adapter install/review (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the handbrake works fine the way Kevin fabricated it

Kevin favored a floor-mounted parking brake (and as we did with many other topics, we kept arguing about it . . . ), but since I wanted to keep the OEM front seat bench on the passenger side, it couldn't work, as there is no space left between the bench and the driver seat

and as for the merit of floor-mounted parking brake handles: it's not like Kevin ever pulled the parking brake on his own LX450, floor-mounted as it is :rolleyes:

also: the H55F would not have required the 60 rear axle - actually, the axle came around even before I found the transmission, and was installed earlier as well

Last edited:
also: the H55F would not have required the 60 rear axle - actually, the axle came around even before I found the transmission, and was installed earlier as well

Looks like Kevin removed the torque tube which would needed to be relocated for the longer H55F. Believe floor would be an issue if you had installed hard brake on the back of transfer case. Not sure of the timing but the 60 series rear axle would probably been cheaper than the parts needed to added a hand brake to the split transfercase. About four years ago I helped an Australian sell a couple kits for $550 each. Heard those are selling for $750 now? Haven't looked for 60 series rear axles but 8/80+ 40 series axles are expensive if there are in the US. $750 is cheaper than what you will find a rear axle with a hand brake. Not sure I agree the hand brake on the transfer case is higher maintenance but certainly not as good of a brake as on the rear axle. It's the better designed brakes in general on the 8/80+ rear axle and availability parts I like.

It looks like I have it reversed. Kevin installed the lever between the cables to increase leverage but reduced the throw. Either way thought this was of interest hwre to anyone thinking of moving hand brake the rear axle on E-12/78 and want to keep the handle mounted under the dash like you did. I appreciate your input.

The really nice case would be those with 79’s that have the floor handles, but want to go splitcase. Simply buy the cable for a 80-83.
(@OPMACHINE :) )

Does it make sense to improve upon what FJ Company has started with these, and try and improve on it, and manufacture your own?

Does it make sense to improve upon what FJ Company has started with these, and try and improve on it, and manufacture your own?
I wonder if these are patented? They have a “drawing” on their website with dimensions. That and the price lead me to believe these are protected.

I wonder if these are patented? They have a “drawing” on their website with dimensions. That and the price lead me to believe these are protected.

Probably someone from marketing who thought it would be a cool pic :lol:

I bet there’s a pretty slim margin on these, a 1” chunk of 4130 isn’t cheap.

This type of part re-creating is fun for me. Their drawing has almost everything you need to recreate them. Had to take a guess on one semi-critical dimension. But it's close.

Doing a run of 2 in 4140 is $350 per part. Qty 10 is about $180 per part. 50 qty it's about $100 per part. All prices are 50% more if you want the USA machined instead of overseas.

Better just to get from the source and support the R&D.

1651966610810.png

Last edited:
The outer shape is waterjet cut which probably saves a bunch of setup time and cost.

They’re nice parts.

Too late for me, I bought brake cylinders from Yemen.

This type of part re-creating is fun for me. Their drawing has almost everything you need to recreate them. Had to take a guess on one semi-critical dimension. But it's close.

Doing a run of 2 in 4140 is $350 per part. Qty 10 is about $180 per part. 50 qty it's about $100 per part. All prices are 50% more if you want the USA machined instead of overseas.

Better just to get from the source and support the R&D.

View attachment 3002892

Is that Xometry pricing?

FJCO puts out a great product and they support local manufacturers. :cool:

Too late for me, I bought brake cylinders from Yemen.

Is that Xometry pricing?

FJCO puts out a great product and they support local manufacturers. :cool:

Its never too laaaaate

A comment on retaining the dash e-brake handle. Any Toyota pickup, Tacoma, T100, and even manual Tundra used a dash mounted handle with the same function as a 40. They all utilize a lever arrangement on the frame rail under the seat area to multiply the cable actuation. There is not much to it. These parts could be utilized to do the same with this setup on a 40 to retain the dash knob. Maybe short bed regular cab Tacoma bits would be about the right length. I can look at my T100, the dash to lever may work out with some slack on a 40. Then a 70 series rear cable. As you can see below, the rear cable to lever arm attaches the same way it does to the floor hand brake for adjustment with the long stud and two nuts.

1652199161364.png

1652199257287.png

A comment on retaining the dash e-brake handle. Any Toyota pickup, Tacoma, T100, and even manual Tundra used a dash mounted handle with the same function as a 40. They all utilize a lever arrangement on the frame rail under the seat area to multiply the cable actuation. There is not much to it. These parts could be utilized to do the same with this setup on a 40 to retain the dash knob. Maybe short bed regular cab Tacoma bits would be about the right length. I can look at my T100, the dash to lever may work out with some slack on a 40. Then a 70 series rear cable. As you can see below, the rear cable to lever arm attaches the same way it does to the floor hand brake for adjustment with the long stud and two nuts.

View attachment 3005225

View attachment 3005226

I'm all for using OEM when possible. Doesn't look the 40 series mid wheel base 8/80+ hand brake cable is available anymore. That might have given options to locating 1/79+ hand brake handle bucket elsewhere on the floor.of the cab. I know same have modified the E-1/79 transmission cover to mount the handle.

Another one just about finished up… also flipped rears on this one so did the RJ77 cable and handle. Need to give the grey handle a coat of the black Vinyl paint to match.

0E1F2641-2E43-456D-B708-2B6D632A35DF.jpeg

8114AD5E-2348-4568-935D-982E82B0B9FB.jpeg

47B688D5-5EB3-45E9-81E8-A374624CCDD1.jpeg

5459DEE2-08F6-4CE7-8B7C-BB032DA5CFB7.jpeg

Care to share a parts list? I'm thinking this is the route I would like to go over a disc conversion.

Care to share a parts list? I'm thinking this is the route I would like to go over a disc conversion.

I have a set of these adapters I decided not to use. $300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom