CDL engaged randomly today, Spartan locker culprit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a Spartan rear locker installed about 100 miles ago on the 92. It has come with some loud days and some not so loud (???). Drove it 50 miles today and noticed a lot of clunking back there in town this afternoon, similar to first day it was installed. CDL engaged by itself at about 30 mph, I pulled over easily and disengaged it. Drove home 5 miles no issues. Thoughts?

I vaguely remember CDL coming on by itself before with this rig 1-2 times in the 7 years I have owned it but not sure now. I suspect it’s the locker but not sure if that’s possible.

Might help to know how you "easily disengaged it". Rear locker installation is not going to be the cause unless you messed with electrical wiring.

Might help to know how you "easily disengaged it". Rear locker installation is not going to be the cause unless you messed with electrical wiring.

You read that wrong.

He pulled over easily. Then disengaged it. He likely did this by pushing the CDL button.

A lunch box locker shouldn't be that noisy unless taking tight turns. It should, in a straight line act like an open diff.

The Spartan won’t cause the CDL to engage or disengage.

Yes, I pressed the switch to disengage.

I have suspected too much noise with new locker. It will do hard clicks after turns when going straight for maybe 20-30 ft. (Returning to open state?). It will also occasionally clunk hard when shifting from reverse to forward gears, or vice versa. Other times, hardly noticeable in town, or moving around in backyard.

Electronics aside, is it possible for the mechanical components to get bumped or slip into CDL?

Yes, I pressed the switch to disengage.

I have suspected too much noise with new locker. It will do hard clicks after turns when going straight for maybe 20-30 ft. (Returning to open state?). It will also occasionally clunk hard when shifting from reverse to forward gears, or vice versa. Other times, hardly noticeable in town, or moving around in backyard.

Electronics aside, is it possible for the mechanical components to get bumped or slip into CDL?

Clicks after a turn and a clunk can be normal. But it's hard to say what yours is doing.

Couple of things to consider here.
The 91/92 FJ80 did not come with factory lockers in the USDM, therefore there is no factory wiring or axle locker ECU associated. IE, no electronic interaction.
If anything, I would suspect a faulty CDL switch or possibly a short in the switch wiring that activates the CDL actuator motor. It is almost impossible for anything internally mechanical to lock the CDL, unless the shift fork was broken. That would cause a horrible racket in the transfer case.

Have you drained fluids and looked for metal particles?

@jonheld, have not done fluids recently. There is some repeated clicking under/around shifter/lower dash that happens very rarely. I chalked it up to electrical quirk. No noticeable issues. I will investigate. Thanks for the help.

It has not occurred again. I did not take any steps to remedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom