Builds Olive '78 Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mattressking

10 digits to freedom
Threads
Poured a bourbon, bought a new toolbox and decided to get on 'mud for the first time in what feels like ages. In less than a year, I quit my job, traveled around in my mustard 40, started a new...business? and sold my mustard 40 to fund said venture. Well - little did I know I'd have an open spot on the trailer and would be pulling an olive '78 home with me shortly after. Thanks @Trail Rated ;)

I told myself I was going to chill out on another truck but I figure I'll have a go at this and get it back on the road for some fun this summer. Truck is an April '78 in Olive and the original 2F was donated to a very beautiful, nearly (if not) totally rust free 55 and somewhere along the way the axles were separated as well so the truck currently wears some early drum axles and runs on cocktails and dreams. The body and frame are quite lovely, along with a very tidy interior. The body has some funky damage on the driver side and the usual sill rust but I can't get over how clean the overall truck is, it's begging to be driven, so off we go. I plucked a 2F from an early 60 which just landed in the garage last night after a very long 3 week.....vacation?

Here are some pics for ya. On my way home with @The Machinist in tow as well and finally landing in the driveway.

NaF83JXh.jpg

pEBkafHh.jpg

DJ52Jsah.jpg

OiavanAh.jpg

BMfrggvh.jpg

OgYTQ7Nh.jpg

What seemed like a whirlwind of unexpected trips immediately after I picked up a 60 in Oregon. I got it running, rebuilt the carb then brought it to Texas. A couple cases of Modelos and Dewar's white label after the Lonestar cruiser meet, we dismantled a 100 with @samc2447 so @dogfishlake could keep a truck on the road. Thanks to @CenTXFJ60 and his unreal hospitality as always. Popped into San Antonio to see Cody and @CaptClose, sipped a few juice boxes, perused some Fj Company trucks all while they dropped in his pristine 1HD-FT. We also learned 80 series rear seat lever brackets can most definitely be swapped side to side ;)

sIjvt3Vh.jpg

bz9SoSGh.jpg

3dS8Llkh.jpg

tQccs7sh.jpg

SoyY9aql.jpg

ybRJ43Ul.jpg

mRT5n2uh.jpg

Let's see now, the 60 is gone, the 2F is here with me and a few boxes of parts have arrived. The current plan is to drop the 2F in and remove the unused accessories, install the 4" lift I have for it and slap on a new set of OEM steelies and 33s...and enjoy.

Looking good - don't forget to buff out the firewall!!!

Congrats on the new 40 looks like a great canvas to start with.
Great color to boot!

Before you do anything , how much will you take for it Nate????
:).

JK…sweet find and look forward to seeing your progress on her.

I love that 40! Wish I had an Olive 78. Wait, I do!🤣. Yours is probably more solid than mine. Was totally awesome hanging with you in TX. I know we will cross paths again too. And, there is always a spot for you at me and Jessica’s place in Michigan!

That long trailer’s going to get you in trouble all the time. Too much room…

Looking good - don't forget to buff out the firewall!!!
No kidding! Since the brake lines aren't filled, I think I'll just remove everything and buff it out.
Congrats on the new 40 looks like a great canvas to start with.
Great color to boot!
Thanks! Olive has really grown on me, I think once the tint is off I'll really love it.
Before you do anything , how much will you take for it Nate????
:).

JK…sweet find and look forward to seeing your progress on her.
Haha! You made me hesitate for a minute. Thanks for the rad support Jimmy!
I love that 40! Wish I had an Olive 78. Wait, I do!🤣. Yours is probably more solid than mine. Was totally awesome hanging with you in TX. I know we will cross paths again too. And, there is always a spot for you at me and Jessica’s place in Michigan!
Great seeing you in Texas too, Pat! I'm sure I will take you up on powdercoating once I find some loads that take me nearby.
One of my favorite colors.👍👍
I can't wait to buff it out and see how it comes back, it's in pretty nice shape
That long trailer’s going to get you in trouble all the time. Too much room…
It's bad news....and here I just went looking at a 40ft last night.
sweet looking rig!
Thanks! Hope your 60 is coming along well!

Great olive 40, congrats mate!
What about your tyres (make and size)?

Thanks, been working on a 40 series.
lately the 60 hasn't gotten any love.
looking forward to see what you do to this one.
Have a thread?
Great olive 40, congrats mate!
What about your tyres (make and size)?
Thanks! They are Austone CSR34; 31x10.5r15. Came on the splitties from another truck and are the rollers for this.

Nothing new or fancy here, just a lot of engine enamel and scrubbing. Told myself to keep this on a budget but still use all OEM parts, so instead of replacing all the bolts - I just cleaned them and reinstalled with paint and new gaskets. If a bolt was rough looking, it's replaced...which with this 2F, it has been quite minimal. Got as far as I could today with paint and reassembly and so far.....waiting on orders from Toyota and some items out for vapor blast.

paunpeah.jpg

a4uwuH1h.jpg

hbG2XJMh.jpg

emUKaJ2h.jpg

bvubI9hh.jpg

Thanks! Duplicolor engine enamel, gloss black. Laid relatively well, but grabbed a couple of cans of vht engine enamel in the same color to compare for brackets and such.

Yeah, as I said, looks great man. I used POR15's engine enamel on my side plate and a few brackets and did not like it at all. Seems like a great paint, and worked fine on textured cast parts. But, for smooth parts like the side plate it left brush strokes like crazy. Definitely needs to be sprayed on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom