HJ60 GX HIGH ROOF - HELP Figuring out what to do??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi LC 60 gurus!

I'm new to posting in here but thought I should take advantage of the community to help me figure out what to do.

I recently got my hands on a barn find - 1987 HJ60 GX High Roof with the 2H engine and the H55F tranny. I am head over heals about this and super excited about the potential, it was a one in a lifetime find in my home country.
I reside in texas and my dream of owning a 60 series started taking shape when I found this one and was able to purchase it. My plan is to import it here by the end of the year if not sooner.

Here is where I'd like to bring your opinions in,.... there is some rust damage in the rear RH door, cowl panel, the roof (around the gutter trim area), and a few small spots in the driver side floor. fenders and everything else is clean and with no rust.... frame has some surface rust here and there but overall is very sound. My dream is to be able to fully restore it with great quality body work, fresh paint, and a few mechanical upgrades to the suspension (lift kit, new wheels and tires, struts, etc)

back home, the restoration work will be way cheaper for sure than if I do it here in the states, but the downside is that I am not there to follow up on the work, making sure all is done well. in short, cheap, but risky of getting not the quality work I would like. this option, when the budget is something you are very conscious about becomes very attractive.

what do I do? should I Import it as is and do the restoration in the states? and spend wayyy more, which to be honest I do not have the cash for it at the moment?

should I import it as is, sell it like that and buy a US model that needs no body work?

what would you do?

Here are the exact details of this LC 60

1987 HJ60 GX model High Roof
165,000km (about 100k miles)
2H Diesel Engine
H55F ' 5spd transmission
Manual front lockers
Very rare Rear AC
3rd row seating
Center Console Cooling unit
Front Winch
Clean interior, dash in perfect shape, only a small rip on drivers seat (side vinyl)

I visited two weeks ago and it drives like a dream... Engine is strong and I was like a little kid with a new toy, driving around with a big smile in my face!!

This feels like the perfect project for full restoration to bring back an awesome, close to one of a kind, HJ60.... Any sponsors in here to do it here in the US? LOL LOL

A few pics for you guys! :)

lc5.jpeg

lc4.jpeg

lc3.jpeg

lc2.jpeg

lc1.jpeg

You could drive it to Mexico for body work

Truly a amazing find. Good luck.

I'd say forget about bodywork initially. Focus on broken and worn out things. Get the mechanicals tip-top and decrustified before digging in to the body. Once it's in good enough shape that you'd trust it to cross a continent, then start worrying about bodywork. Lipstick does not belong on pigs. In Texas you'll have a long time to get around to fixing the body before it disappears.

Looks like an awesome project!

He could just spray rust inhibitor on the bad areas in the meantime. Although I think roof rust needs to be fixed or it makes a real mess if rained on.

Fluid film is really good at slowing rust. I use it on my trucks until I get it fixed, it stops rusted metal from getting exposed to the air. The only problem is, my dogs absolutely LOVE the taste of it, they will lick the body and frame CLEAN of it every time I spray it. Fortunately non toxic to furry friends though.

What country is the truck coming from? @gimme a 60, your dogs licking the frame clean just gave me a good laugh! I would imagine my dogs will be doing the same when I get to spraying my 60!

What country is the truck coming from? @gimme a 60, your dogs licking the frame clean just gave me a good laugh! I would imagine my dogs will be doing the same when I get to spraying my 60!
Yes I know it sounds funny, but that stuff is expensive! Every morning they have a little convoy out to my trucks and they have a feast. EVERY TIME I SPRAY IT, they find out……. I’m not sure why but animals really like the taste it’s like crack. So, it’s very effective unless you have pets. It’s pissing me off so much that I have unfortunately had to build a little fence around the 60 to fight them off. 😆

Yes I know it sounds funny, but that stuff is expensive! Every morning they have a little convoy out to my trucks and they have a feast. EVERY TIME I SPRAY IT, they find out……. I’m not sure why but animals really like the taste it’s like crack. So, it’s very effective unless you have pets. It’s pissing me off so much that I have unfortunately had to build a little fence around the 60 to fight them off. 😆
They make it out of sheep .... wool. Just like our Jack Russel used to eat goat toenail clippings

It's sheep lanolin I believe, basically sheep fat...AKA, mongrel crack...Can't say I'v tasted it, but I definitely don't mind the smell (though there is certainly a bit of nostalgia for me as well, used a lot of that stuff in the Coast Guard...).

Is coming from the Caribbean... Dominican Republic.
Haven't been to DR, though it's very much on my list. I would somewhat expect that you can get comparable prices in Mx, likely with easier access to assess workmanship quality since it's a land border rather than a flight (depending on your part of Tx anyway)? Or as stated, do the work yourself. From the pictures the rust doesn't look too wild, so wouldn't be too bad to learn some welding and patch it up?

It's sheep lanolin I believe, basically sheep fat...AKA, mongrel crack...Can't say I'v tasted it, but I definitely don't mind the smell (though there is certainly a bit of nostalgia for me as well, used a lot of that stuff in the Coast Guard...).
Don’t taste it, I did. I had to know what I was missing out on. Conclusion is, it tastes terrible.

Haven't been to DR, though it's very much on my list. I would somewhat expect that you can get comparable prices in Mx, likely with easier access to assess workmanship quality since it's a land border rather than a flight (depending on your part of Tx anyway)? Or as stated, do the work yourself. From the pictures the rust doesn't look too wild, so wouldn't be too bad to learn some welding and patch it up?
The idea of taking it to Mexico is very appealing. I am already doing my research on it and making connections with several friends I have from there.

I might do the rust correction work down in DR as there is a small spot in the roof that lets water in. Once here, if possible, paint job down in Mexico. We'll see what happens... I am eager to get this going. Thanks for the good suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom