Tie rod end boot rubbing on rim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

avicenna110

SILVER Star
Threads
I did a knuckle + tie rod end rebuild on my 65 and noticed the rim is rubbing on the boot of the tie rod end. The rim is 16” and has 4” off back spacing. See below:

9DAA9A7B-E9D4-42E0-84F1-85ED6309419B.jpeg

I compared the clearance to my 77 and it seems that the knuckle arm sticks a bit more out on the 65. Here are the comparison:

65:

3A980D39-0A40-48FD-8B2E-CC6DC3836249.jpeg

77:

06E12E35-CA1F-4958-BCCE-A618DC2BA8E1.jpeg

I thought I put the arms on the wrong sides but I’m pretty sure they’re correct.

What’s the backspacing on the OEM rims? And are the clearance indeed different for early models? Thanks.

I did a knuckle + tie rod end rebuild on my 65 and noticed the rim is rubbing on the boot of the tie rod end. The rim is 16” and has 4” off back spacing. See below:

View attachment 2996141

I compared the clearance to my 77 and it seems that the knuckle arm sticks a bit more out on the 65. Here are the comparison:

65:

View attachment 2996140

77:

View attachment 2996139

I thought I put the arms on the wrong sides but I’m pretty sure they’re correct.

What’s the backspacing on the OEM rims? And are the clearance indeed different for early models? Thanks.
3.5” backspacing on a stock rim. Might want to throw a 1/4” spacer on there if you are going to run those rims.

Thanks. My 77 came with a set of rims that have 4.5” backspacing and it fit with a 1/4” spacer. But now I remember that the tie rod end boots were no good so the fit was tights. I’m close to putting the front end on that one together soon, but I’m pretty sure the 77 has more space since the rims with 4.5” backspacing don’t even fit on the 65.

View attachment 2996141

65:

View attachment 2996140

77:

View attachment 2996139

brand of front rotors ?

double check there correct ones

65 had DRUM brakes

if there 65 rims on a later disc brake axle maybe related ?

View attachment 2996141

65:

View attachment 2996140

77:

View attachment 2996139

how come your square service plug is on the front of your axle

and here it's on the rear side ?

maybe some one knows this topic ?

1651389933934.png

65 had DRUM brakes

if there 65 rims on a later disc brake axle maybe related ?
Oh boy you made me realize I hadn’t put the drums on the 65 🤦‍♂️ I was trying to test fit things before finishing the brakes and made a rookie mistake. The drums should add the difference…. Thanks for bringing that up

how come your square service plug is on the front of your axle

and here it's on the rear side ?

maybe some one knows this topic ?

View attachment 2996769
You got me worried. Just checked my videos on the 77 and I put it back how it came:

D9A31CF3-9836-406D-AE59-0621A54ED29A.png

I checked some others on the forums here and they’re like mine. When doing the 65 I followed the 77 based on the filler hole (it being on the front) and realized the mistake since the arms orientation were not correct. I checked my pictures of the 65 and it came with the filler on the back and I saw other 65s were like mine so I’m thinking they’re just difference. On the back it makes more sense but I think the disc calipers get in the way on the 77?

Need to have different back spacing. Add a spacer.

You got me worried. Just checked my videos on the 77 and I put it back how it came:

View attachment 2996800

I checked some others on the forums here and they’re like mine. When doing the 65 I followed the 77 based on the filler hole (it being on the front) and realized the mistake since the arms orientation were not correct. I checked my pictures of the 65 and it came with the filler on the back and I saw other 65s were like mine so I’m thinking they’re just difference. On the back it makes more sense but I think the disc calipers get in the way on the 77?

not trying to make u fret

i installed a pair back wards once long time ago , that's why i asked ?

No problem, I rather worry and have it right so your comments are appreciated.

if anyone can explain why the SQUARE koly EP grease service plugs are on the front or back please chime in here , its very confusing ?

ahhhhhhhhhhh....... :D

i know how knows , my personal Teq Oracle , @Living in the Past , i bet he has the 411 we seek here for sure !

lets wait and see ...........

if anyone can explain why the SQUARE koly EP grease service plugs are on the front or back please chime in here , its very confusing ?

ahhhhhhhhhhh....... :D

i know how knows , my personal Teq Oracle , @Living in the Past , i bet he has the 411 we seek here for sure !

lets wait and see ...........
Looks like the disk caliper and its bracket would be in the way if it was in the back:

2719E180-069E-460D-868C-951377FA0D7F.jpeg

Looks like the disk caliper and its bracket would be in the way if it was in the back:

View attachment 2997056
Perhaps you have a Toyota truck knuckle ?

a simple disc brakes conversion might explain this as well if all later 4 parts were used maybe ?

get a spacer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom