Builds The Green Bastard (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The preload nut controls bearing preload. I spun my preload nut and lock ring down to my marks and reassembled. I didn't realize I needed to keep spinning the preload nut two or three more times before it was truly tight. I had a fully 70* to 80* degrees of play in the steering wheel after it was fully rebuilt and installed on the truck. I had to remove, drain, disassemble and spin the preload nut and lock ring tighter to the marks.

The lock ring doesn't control tension but all three should have marks and they should line up. Are you sure you didn't mark the lock ring? Without proper tension from the lock ring, the preload nut could back off and cause excessive play.
View attachment 2987680
I checked both side, and did not see any marks on the lock ring, however I put it back on with a little bit more force than it took to take it off 🤞

That is also the state my rebuild is in right now

I checked both side, and did not see any marks on the lock ring, however I put it back on with a little bit more force than it took to take it off 🤞

That is also the state my rebuild is in right now
You need to have it ready for next week.

not looking promising, I broke the new teflon seal for the pitman arm trying to install it
Order a replacement from the dealer?

1650591385877.png

Was soldering in a connection for the replacement license plate light (dont know how the first one got ruined :hillbilly: 😅 )

Discovered that the rear pinion seal is leaking quite a bit, guess that will be on the list this year

Was soldering in a connection for the replacement license plate light (dont know how the first one got ruined :hillbilly: 😅 )

Discovered that the rear pinion seal is leaking quite a bit, guess that will be on the list this year
You ever want to reply with one of the emojis, but the emoji doesn't exactly fit? Want to give a thumbs up, but it's not a thumbs up for the leaky seal 😕

Extend your axle breather lines and put a lawn mower fuel filter on the end. The OEM breathers get filled with junk and hot/cold fluctuations cause the pinion to leak.

Mine was leaking and I figured I would have to replace the pinion seal to fix it. I found a post on MUD about replacing the breathers and tried it. Worked great and stopped the leaking completely.

put the PS gearbox back in after work today, it seems to work?

Going to see what some driving around does, also steering wheel in the straight position is about 90 degrees off from where it should be.
I also need to tighten that adjustment screw on the top of the box to tighten things up.

It's gonna whine until all the air is out the system, and lining your steering wheel up again is an easy fix.

Good job rebuilding it. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying one.

It's gonna whine until all the air is out the system, and lining your steering wheel up again is an easy fix.

Good job rebuilding it. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying one.
Thanks!

Would lining the wheel up just be taking it off and then putting it back on correctly? :D

No, just loosen your steerable link in front, twist it till straight, then tighten.

*I think it's called the steerable link.

hmmm, will look at that thanks!
I guess I am just confused on the wheel being position "correct" when I took things apart, and its now 90 degrees over when I put things back together
When I did mine, we used a paint marker on the threads to try and put it back in the same position. I was still off center when we reassembled 🤷🏽‍♂️.

hmmmmmmmmm, fixed up the plate light.

I adjusted the screw on top of the PS box all the way out I think (As much as I could with the questionable access to said screw from inside of the engine bay), and there is still a good amount of play in the wheel

I have 6 threads showing above the top of the nut? started at 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom