Painting an 85 Copper 60 (with headliner install video) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know no one has a free hand when putting in a windshield, but do you think you’d be able to get a couple good photos of the process? It’s something I have to do soon and I haven’t found a good video of how it’s done on a 60… it sounds quite tricky!!
Absolutely Al. It’s not as bad as you would think. Not to over simplify it but you essentially wrap the glass in the gasket and put a nylon type 3/8” ish rope around the perimeter. Set bottom on the pinch weld so both sides of the gasket straddle it. Then press on the glass as you work the rope around from both sides. An extra set of hands helps. Try googling “the rope trick for glass installs”. Check out this video. It’s a jeep but same concept.

Last edited:
Ah ha, I get it now, thanks Jimmy! Raymond and I should be able to handle it.

Now , back to Painting an 85 Copper 60…

Ah ha, I get it now, thanks Jimmy! Raymond and I should be able to handle it.

Now , back to Painting an 85 Copper 60…
Awesome. Glad that helped

Weekend is here :). I’ve actually knocked out a few hours during the evenings this week. Here’s some of the progress the last few days. Weather permitting I’ll probably shoot the front clip on Sunday. One shot is the hole I patched on top of the drivers fender and the other was a “reverse dent” above the air cleaner. Assuming someone closed the hood with something sitting on top of the cleaner. This is a really straight hood but that one is a hard spot to work. The hood flex’s with any type of pressure due to the body glue being deteriorated on the cross supports. I really should take a few days and redo that. Did it on my 60 and makes a world of difference. May still do it after I paint since I’m not doing the underside.
AFB2FEE5-62A6-43E2-A7B1-C17565105364.jpeg
8E98BC2F-2FDF-4081-8571-4C66CA2A404A.jpeg

This was kinda cool. Using a razor blade to remove the pinstripes. Still need to remove the bottom tape. Typically get it in 2-3 runs so it’s quicker than sanding them. Anyhow, you can see the original paint and it’s actually raised a bit from the rest of the paint on the panel. Imagine the paint thickness gets thinner over time as it fades etc.
F249FA47-AC22-4132-A8C4-E87529C78371.jpeg

So another productive weekend. Not thrilled with how the hood came out as it has more trash in it than acceptable and some light to medium orange peel. So I did a third coat pretty wet to give me extra material to flatten out later with some high grit paper. Painted closer to the front of the shop where my doors are. Guessing every time I opened one to exit between coats there’s more dust bunnies in that area. Also got some stripping again in the center area of the hood. Can’t see it in the pics. What you’re seeing is the reflection of the corrugated roof panels of my barn ceiling. Similar to the roof I believe I’m not doing a good job keeping the sprayer tip 90 degrees as I stretch to hit the center. The vertical panels all came out perfect. As I always say…look to learn something new every day :). So now on to prepping the doors. Decided I will strip them of glass and chrome trim. So it will take a bit more work.

AD8A027D-5F69-4393-A9E6-6FD4A8C5525D.jpeg

85A72F2E-948D-42CA-9ABB-6B5AE7049A3B.jpeg

0F27C068-AEC1-4316-9BF3-5D600BE3CEE6.jpeg

509C7EDD-D081-4FDF-8B73-67269218F9D6.jpeg

From here it looks great!👍

From here it looks great!👍
Thank you John. If it bothers me enough I’ll pull the hood and reshoot it on a stand which I’m confident I can manage the square footage a bit easier. Unlike the roof, it’s a panel that gets a lot of eyes on it, so I’ll correct it one way or another :). Hindsight I should have done this to begin with.

Thank you John. If it bothers me enough I’ll pull the hood and reshoot it on a stand which I’m confident I can manage the square footage a bit easier. Unlike the roof, it’s a panel that gets a lot of eyes on it, so I’ll correct it one way or another :). Hindsight I should have done this to begin with.
@John McVicker, let me interpret. Another opportunity to inhale some reducer vapor and see Shangri La.

I think it looks great in those photos. Nice work man.
Thank you. I’ll have to do some wet sanding at a minimum. Went out this morning to find one of the cats jumped on the hood but must have missed its intended landing area. Some scratches on the front of the hood. So at a minimum I’ll do some wet sanding and buffing.
3AA40B9F-48C5-4757-976A-1DED26805C57.jpeg

😹😹😹😹😹😹😹😹

It still looks great. Quite inspiring. Makes me almost want to repaint mine. No way I could get these results though. Thing is gonna be a real cream puff when you are done with it.

😹😹😹😹😹😹😹😹

It still looks great. Quite inspiring. Makes me almost want to repaint mine. No way I could get these results though. Thing is gonna be a real cream puff when you are done with it.
I'm confident you could do this with good results. Just not sure you would want to. For every picture there's a lot of hours in there. If work like this is an interest then the odds of bailing on the project go way down. I'm one of those screwballs that love this type of work :)

So I forgot what a pita disassembling doors are. But I did remove the chrome strip without breaking any clips. Better than I did on my truck years ago. So I actually remembered something I learned 6-7 years ago. That’s success at this point in my life :). A few more to go and then it’s prep time.
E3C4C9DB-141D-4D5A-BA72-9A9DA099CD66.jpeg
E3C4C9DB-141D-4D5A-BA72-9A9DA099CD66.jpeg

9F36EFC5-F037-4BA9-8315-6BA58E8BE17B.jpeg

B8C7160C-0399-4122-BA71-7B4E88F6CA32.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom