Live Help Parking Brake New Shoes and Rotor Adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All.

Im stuck. I've installed new parking shoes adjusted the shoe gear at the bottom to the smallest, loosened the turnbuckle on the cable until the cable has slack and adjusted the bell crank bolt all the way in. Im installing my new rear rotors and im still getting a little drag on and off as it rotates, like the shoes arent perfectly center. I've done everything right and went over all the available material. Any clues other than sand down the portion of the shoe that dragging. Its the leading side that moves the most.

Workinig on getting a video when rotating hard to hear but there is a slight drag where the other side has none. For context the drag is very slight.

I did my rear shoes a few years ago. The FSM actually says to grind/sand them to get the shoes round, I skipped that step and the step that says to replace a shim on the shoe arm. I forgot, but I think there's a thread about a similar noise that I remember, I think they had to grind or bend something down or lube a contact point.

I did my rear shoes a few years ago. The FSM actually says to grind/sand them to get the shoes round, I skipped that step and the step that says to replace a shim on the shoe arm. I forgot, but I think there's a thread about a similar noise that I remember, I think they had to grind or bend something down or lube a contact point.

Good to know thats exactly what I ended up doing.

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, busy going through the same process…. All calipers pretty rusted and pistons seized or at least working in a minimalist fashion! Remanufactured calipers, new rotors and pads all round and decided to replace the parking brake shoes and hardware at the same time - what could possibly go wrong I ask myself….

Anyway, fitting new parking brake shoes is a job for a gorilla and 2 midgets ( and no slight or slur intended), but I discovered that welding clamps carefully applied do a stunning job of securing the parking brake shoes in place while you fit the springs, especially the locking ones over the two pins - and a little spring puller tool (think large crochet hook with a T-handle) makes seating the top springs a cinch…

Hopefully that helps someone else fighting the good fight. Now to check that everything spins as it should!

After maintaining the parking brakes several times over the last 20 or so years, I have found that two things are of particular importance.
One is to always clean and re-lube the bellcrank (the pivoting arm that goes through the back plate). It is exposed to dust and water, and easily rusts, even though it is partially protected by a rubber bellows.
Th second is to follow the steps in the FSM carefully, when adjusting the parking brake.
I have found that if the car is used in an area with salted roads, a full disassembly, cleaning and lubing has to be done annually.

To maintain good operation of the parking brake (emergency brake) is of particular importance on the 100 series, because when the brake booster fails (when, not if), it will be needed in full force.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom