What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (49 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed air bags..

lmTq7ej.jpg

And headed down to Moab

HUa3SI7.jpg

Installed air bags..

lmTq7ej.jpg

And headed down to Moab

HUa3SI7.jpg

I'm hoping to install my airbags this weekend. I've seen the other posts about this and think I have a pretty good idea what to expect, but am curious if you have any additional insights or ran into any problems?

I'm hoping to install my airbags this weekend. I've seen the other posts about this and think I have a pretty good idea what to expect, but am curious if you have any additional insights or ran into any problems?

I would watch an installation video beforehand if you haven't already. I got this kit so this video was perfect:

Make sure you have all the tools needed beforehand like saws, hole saw/step bit, and an airline cutter. I did fine with a razor blade but an airline cutter would have been much easier. You have to make sure your airline ends are straight or it'll leak.

Other than that, it's a pretty straight forward job - KDSS valves open, remove shocks/swaybar, drop axle, remove springs, install airbags and lines, then put it back together. Make sure to test for leaks with soapy water/spray bottle before you button it all up.

I don't know if it's the same on all model years but I found a spot that was perfect for the valves since I was going manual, not tying into a compressor.

kizL55c.jpg

It's a metal lip directly between the spare tire and the tow hitch area, slightly on the driver's side. There was already one hole there that I had to slightly enlarge, then drilled a second closet to it, then painted the bare metal, and installed the valves.

MI123LI.jpg

B8p7cJK.jpg

(don't mind the grime, that's fluid film from the winter)

It seems to be a well-protected spot as it's directly behind the spare tire so most likely won't hit any rocks etc. The kit I got included two valve caps with seals inside. Stayed clean and dust free through Moab and you know how that red dust gets anywhere unprotected.

Which airbags did you go with? This in on my list for the occasional tow. Taking my 200 to moab week after next. Have a great time!
Thanks man. I went with the Airbag Man high pressure kit with the fabric sleeves. Very happy with the kit:

It comes with sleeves, bags, airlines, airline sheath/protector, and valves. I ordered direct from them, only took 5 days to ship from Australia.

I would watch an installation video beforehand if you haven't already. I got this kit so this video was perfect:

Make sure you have all the tools needed beforehand like saws, hole saw/step bit, and an airline cutter. I did fine with a razor blade but an airline cutter would have been much easier. You have to make sure your airline ends are straight or it'll leak.

Other than that, it's a pretty straight forward job - KDSS valves open, remove shocks/swaybar, drop axle, remove springs, install airbags and lines, then put it back together. Make sure to test for leaks with soapy water/spray bottle before you button it all up.

I don't know if it's the same on all model years but I found a spot that was perfect for the valves since I was going manual, not tying into a compressor.

kizL55c.jpg

It's a metal lip directly between the spare tire and the tow hitch area, slightly on the driver's side. There was already one hole there that I had to slightly enlarge, then drilled a second closet to it, then painted the bare metal, and installed the valves.

MI123LI.jpg

B8p7cJK.jpg

(don't mind the grime, that's fluid film from the winter)

It seems to be a well-protected spot as it's directly behind the spare tire so most likely won't hit any rocks etc. The kit I got included two valve caps with seals inside. Stayed clean and dust free through Moab and you know how that red dust gets anywhere unprotected.

Thanks man. I went with the Airbag Man high pressure kit with the fabric sleeves. Very happy with the kit:

It comes with sleeves, bags, airlines, airline sheath/protector, and valves. I ordered direct from them, only took 5 days to ship from Australia.

Make sure your valve caps have a gasket in them and they fit waterproof. I had mine installed like that and a leaky cap filled with water and corroded the valve stem.

Not necessarily. Is it dripping down the back and running down the front of the transmission? Mine was a front inlet hose o ring. That's what the dealer said when I dropped it off. They changed out and no more leak. Hopefully yours is also a minor nuisance. Good luck
It is a really slow leak. When I get a chance I'll inspect further. Regardless, I have everything to fix it. Thanks for the encouragement!

Removed my FrontRunner rack (wife and kids got me a Gobi last Christmas and it had shipped), then realized I don't have the factory hardware removed from the front most mount points needed for the Gobi install. Waiting for the parts from Toyota to install...truck sitting in the garage while I wait.

qYTWMS5uT%+04cWLsEx81w.jpg

Removed my FrontRunner rack (wife and kids got me a Gobi last Christmas and it had shipped), then realized I don't have the factory hardware removed from the front most mount points needed for the Gobi install. Waiting for the parts from Toyota to install...truck sitting in the garage while I wait.

View attachment 2995936
Don’t mean to shift a third time, but slick top sure is looking good…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom