What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (50 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent entirely too much money on a rear lift handle (one of the arms on my original was broken and Ive spent months on and off trying to jury rig it). Cleaned my fuse box and ground connections and am now working on fixing a crack in my frame. The projects never end

Assembled T-case direct shifter and test fit.

IMG_2954.JPG

I just reinstalled mine too, but yours is a lot cleaner than mine. :beer:

Through no effort of mine. My original is buried underneath 46yrs worth of Idaho dust and West Virginia clay.

Well, it was all fun and games until now.
20220425_143904.jpg

I parked the cruiser for 30 minutes and when I returned there was oil dripping from the timing gear cover(so I think). I tried to tighten the 2 lower bolts and just made things worse.

Here's a piece of cardboard after a minute of being place under the drip
20220425_144137.jpg

Its frustrating, as I've replaced the gasket multiple times now. This latest SNAFU happened about 1,000 miles after replacing the gasket.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
I used the FIPG on both sides of the gasket, just like when I did the oil pan.
Its been suggested that I only use the FIPG. That the gasket is not necessary if using the FIPG. I am inclined to try it. Any insight from those who have gone through this?

View attachment 2993399
I parked the cruiser for 30 minutes and when I returned there was oil dripping from the timing gear cover(so I think). I tried to tighten the 2 lower bolts and just made things worse.

View attachment 2993400
Its frustrating, as I've replaced the gasket multiple times now. This latest SNAFU happened about 1,000 miles after replacing the gasket.
Its been suggested that I only use the FIPG. That the gasket is not necessary if using the FIPG. I am inclined to try it. Any insight from those who have gone through this?

This has got to be frustrating. :mad:

These cork gaskets are fragile. You can actually over-tighten a cork gasket. If it's compromised in anyway (small tear) you'll only exacerbate the problem. Over-tightening can flatten the gasket and cause weeping at the point of compromise. The cover is only tightened enough to secure the cover without crushing the gasket. I think, but don't recall right off hand that the fasteners/bolts have a specific length and location also. I think they are 6mm and 10mm. Make sure your timing cover surface is flat and clean. Lastly, the sealant isn't the culprit. Apply it, add the cover and give it a chance to dry a day or so before you tighten the cover all the way.

If that doesn't work, I'm willing to drive up during moose season and take photo's for the visual record..:rolleyes:

Got my used faded soft top on, and I'm diggin it. Gotta roll it out in the sun to let it stretch a bit. The rear bow is a little low due to rust holes I have yet to fix. 😬

20220427_151002.jpg

View attachment 2993399

View attachment 2993400
My oil pan gasket was similar. It leaked horribly for a few days then after a few cycles of driving it stopped. The cork expands as it absorbs oil. But you can overnighten it to. I would run it for a week or two and see if it stops.

This has got to be frustrating. :mad:

These cork gaskets are fragile. You can actually over-tighten a cork gasket. If it's compromised in anyway (small tear) you'll only exacerbate the problem. Over-tightening can flatten the gasket and cause weeping at the point of compromise. The cover is only tightened enough to secure the cover without crushing the gasket. I think, but don't recall right off hand that the fasteners/bolts have a specific length and location also. I think they are 6mm and 10mm. Make sure your timing cover surface is flat and clean. Lastly, the sealant isn't the culprit. Apply it, add the cover and give it a chance to dry a day or so before you tighten the cover all the way.

If that doesn't work, I'm willing to drive up during moose season and take photo's for the visual record..:rolleyes:
Only show up if you bring the Mule.
I'm aware of the bolt size(s) and orientation. I'll definitely let the FIPG sit for a night before tightening things down.
Thanks for the advice.

My oil pan gasket was similar. It leaked horribly for a few days then after a few cycles of driving it stopped. The cork expands as it absorbs oil. But you can overnighten it to. I would run it for a week or two and see if it stops.
Sorry for the confusion. The oil pan gasket is fine. Hasn't leaked since I replaced it in 2020.
It is the timing gear cover that has given me the fits. Perhaps I'm not being patient enough when installing the gasket with FIPG.
I know the 10mm bolts only get inch pounds of torque and the 14mm ones about 17 foot pounds.
Next round I'll let things sit over night and slowly work my way around tightening the cover down after the gasket maker has setup.

Only show up if you bring the Mule.
I'm aware of the bolt size(s) and orientation. I'll definitely let the FIPG sit for a night before tightening things down.
Thanks for the advice.
Brother, I'd be honored to tote the Mule to your neck of the woods, trouble is, I may not come back to WV.....:beer:

Oil leaks, next to electrical gremlins, are the bane of the 40 community. It's a Tractor engine for all practical purposes.

Let that FIPG, or whatever flavor you have, settle (nice even thin coat) and tighten like you would one of your rims in a star type pattern.

View attachment 2993399

View attachment 2993400
Have you recently adjusted or tightened the oil squirter in the plate?

Put a raduator pressure tester on it, 'cause I've never done that before. Did find a couple little leaks, able to quickly fix those by adjusting a hose clamp and snugging down the thermostat hosing.
Now it loses maybe 1 pound in 10 minutes.

20220427_142624.jpg

FJ45LV. Keys Blanks ..

And

The gratitude swag : new 3F fire 🔥 brigade logo decal and Gold Plated OEM blank

Gold Cad ….fyi

2694823D-EAC9-46B4-80C0-7CEC373F1FCE.jpeg
A89BFCB1-05A4-4047-A8A9-04B8EB5A1772.jpeg
9B600167-2866-4331-BE79-DDF5650C4F7A.jpeg
4301CB5E-153A-4263-A61D-B117459FD1A0.jpeg
72686D52-FB29-48CB-BE42-9E057676725E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back