Adding abs brakes to a 1994 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1994 fzj80 and it does not have abs brakes. It has front disk and rear drums. I see the abs light in the dash so it must have been an option. Can i add abs to my rig? If so is there a kit i can purchase? Any advice is appreciated.

Thx

I spent a pile of money and time trying to get my 25 year old at the time abs system to work properly. I ended up deleting it after and it has never stopped better. If you want it to be safer I’d make sure the current brakes are working properly. If that doesn’t help maybe convert the rears to discs.

Why take it off? For wheeling?
Depending on where you are in the USA and what conditions you drive, ABS is horrible in snow.

ABS is bad when you're wheeling and are headed downhill on loose material and build up speed over 15 MPH.

The only place I even remotely like ABS is when it first starts to rain and I'm in rush hour traffic, and when I'm doing 80 in rush hour traffic and some douchecanoe in front of me decides to lock it up because he wasn't paying attention and panicked.

My ABS is disabled because I forgot to install the reluctor rings on my replacement Birfields. I have not missed it nor needed it in the last 110K miles.

Don't do it unless you don't know how to feather a brake pedal.

I would consider swapping a full float rear axle with disk brakes before considering adding the abs..

I would consider swapping a full float rear axle with disk brakes before considering adding the abs..

Which he would need to do to add ABS anyway, right ? It only came on the full float trucks, so they are the ones with the sensor mounts. Off the top of my head you would need a full float rear axle with sensors, front knuckles with sensors, birfs with tone rings, the actual pump / valve unit, the ABS computer, new brake hard lines, the ABS master cylinder, the inertia sensor under the center console, and newer wiring harnesses if yours doesn't already have the circuits. All to install a 30 year old design first gen ABS system that wasn't great to begin with (well, it might have been relatively great in 94), and really goes to crap if you upsize wheels / tires. I think Mr. Spock there is one the right track. Start with a full float disk brake rear axle. If you can live without a factory locker axle, they aren't too expensive and will be a decent upgrade to braking performance. If it isn't enough for you, it will at least be the first step in retrofitting ABS.

I really hate to be the guy that says this, but... If you really want ABS in an 80, unless your current truck was free, or you have a free wrecked donor with parts and plenty of time, you would be better off selling your non-ABS vehicle and buying an ABS rig.

Good luck either way !

Jason

Which he would need to do to add ABS anyway, right ? It only came on the full float trucks, so they are the ones with the sensor mounts. Off the top of my head you would need a full float rear axle with sensors, front knuckles with sensors, birfs with tone rings, the actual pump / valve unit, the ABS computer, new brake hard lines, the ABS master cylinder, the inertia sensor under the center console, and newer wiring harnesses if yours doesn't already have the circuits. All to install a 30 year old design first gen ABS system that wasn't great to begin with (well, it might have been relatively great in 94), and really goes to crap if you upsize wheels / tires. I think Mr. Spock there is one the right track. Start with a full float disk brake rear axle. If you can live without a factory locker axle, they aren't too expensive and will be a decent upgrade to braking performance. If it isn't enough for you, it will at least be the first step in retrofitting ABS.

I really hate to be the guy that says this, but... If you really want ABS in an 80, unless your current truck was free, or you have a free wrecked donor with parts and plenty of time, you would be better off selling your non-ABS vehicle and buying an ABS rig.

Good luck either way !

Jason
Thank you. I will just leave as is

I have a 1994 fzj80 and it does not have abs brakes. It has front disk and rear drums. I see the abs light in the dash so it must have been an option. Can i add abs to my rig? If so is there a kit i can purchase? Any advice is appreciated.
Brand new removed ABS brake system. Today offer only $500:p
Booster that doesn't suck
Master cylinder that's undersized
LSPV that is never adjusted right and probably plugged
ABS that doesn't let you stop
I'll even throw in an old tired steering pump and cut in half paperclip cooler! Heck while were at it I'll throw in a Charcoal canister that doesn't breath and just in the way.
There are things to you can do to improve your braking and adding ABS probably isn't one of them. Especially if you want good bang for your buck.

1651067061654.png

Brand new removed ABS brake system. Today offer only $500:p
Booster that doesn't suck
Master cylinder that's undersized
LSPV that is never adjusted right and probably plugged
ABS that doesn't let you stop
I'll even throw in an old tired steering pump and cut in half paperclip cooler! Heck while were at it I'll throw in a Charcoal canister that doesn't breath and just in the way.
There are things to you can do to improve your braking and adding ABS probably isn't one of them. Especially if you want good bang for your buck.

View attachment 2993398
Put that front ABS harness up for sale if it still works. It's NLA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom