‘74 FJ55 fuel tank not like the others…. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’m in the process of pulling out the fuel tank on my FJ55 to do a restoration and sealant in addition to replace all fuel supply and vent hoses. I’ve been reviewing the schematics to make sure that all the vent hoses get run to the correct place and as I lay under my pig today to make sure I had a visual of where everything would go I realize that my tank doesn’t look like the any schematics for the FJ55 I have seen.

My tank doesn’t have the fill hose, overflow hose, and all four vent hose connections at the same spot on the tank. It has a vent hose on each corner instead. Leaving only the fill and overflow connections together. Has anyone else seen this? Below is what I expected, but not the tank I have. My tank has the vent hoses on each corner, but is identical otherwise
92A7D06C-C222-4D94-91C9-E58EA9AAC866.png

Yes, we need pics.

could be an early model year which was still using parts from the previous year
or
a PO changed the tank to an earlier one sometime in the past 48 years

could be an early model year which was still using parts from the previous year
or
a PO changed the tank to an earlier one sometime in the past 48 years
Or it's not a 1974. According to the part's diagrams, the four vent at the corner configuration went through 09/92. Not sure if September would have already been a 1973 model year? Maybe.

It just means the fuel vapor canister that you assumed was on driver side and a single unit with four inlets is actually 2 separate units, one on each side.
Drop it down and get it done! Piece of cake. Oh, and I would grab a sender because the copper wiper inside is most likely wiped it’s last or headed for it’s last wipe across the coil. @ToyotaMatt sells a period correct copy.
BDF74738-9D59-40AA-9CE6-27C40EC54400.jpeg

CF145DFD-F2F0-40BB-AAE2-665D796FD1B1.jpeg

Hey everyone thank you for the info…I think WarDamnEagle is right. Thanks for finding the schematic I couldn’t find that one. My pig is a Nov 1974 according to the under hood plate so it seems as though a PO swapped the tank with and older one at some point. They then proceeded to run all four corner vent lines to the one collection canister at the driver side rear QP. However they didn’t route them to the correct locations (one corner vent goes to the check valve line that exits the collection canister which should be routed to the front of the truck). For some reason they also pieced together the vent hoses from what looks like spare hose pieces they had sitting around their shop.

I am pulling the tank tomorrow and dropping it off to be cleaned and sealed. Once back I plan to replace all the hoses including fill, over flow, and vent and then route them all to the correct locations on the existing collection canister at the rear…I will then route the hose from the check valvle at the back all the way back to the front of the truck.

Seems straight forward….am I missing something?
BA92E96A-33F8-4C9F-847B-D2F5B07C385C.jpeg

So I’m in the process of pulling out the fuel tank on my FJ55 to do a restoration and sealant in addition to replace all fuel supply and vent hoses. I’ve been reviewing the schematics to make sure that all the vent hoses get run to the correct place and as I lay under my pig today to make sure I had a visual of where everything would go I realize that my tank doesn’t look like the any schematics for the FJ55 I have seen.

My tank doesn’t have the fill hose, overflow hose, and all four vent hose connections at the same spot on the tank. It has a vent hose on each corner instead. Leaving only the fill and overflow connections together. Has anyone else seen this? Below is what I expected, but not the tank I have. My tank has the vent hoses on each corner, but is identical otherwise View attachment 2988568

So the fuel tank is out and headed off to be cleaned. Definitely not the correct year tank for the 74. once it it cleaned I’ll add the interior and exterior coating protection, all new hoses and sender unit, and get it mounted back up.

Before and after exterior fuel tank. Upon inspection the interior of the tank is pretty clean. I plan to rinse, soak interior with degreaser rinse again and then use POR-15 tank sealer kit to seal the interior of the tank. I plan to do the same with the metal part of the filler neck. POR-15 on tank exterior then new hoses and reinstall.

551067A6-0E1C-4B9F-BBE2-EF3304182E67.jpeg
297304AE-AFBD-4BE7-876D-E0789C33F247.jpeg
0d4c5ec7-6b82-42e2-81d5-4f2c5245bd5d-jpeg.2992796
1EA3B9F3-BADC-4FB0-ACF2-F25ED487A1D5.jpeg
2DCCB709-7923-4C4A-8EDE-7EA5F0F98810.jpeg
E4F699C3-5411-48CE-B183-E963A61232A6.jpeg

Fuel tank update. So inside the tank is clean and ready. All hoses are attached except for filler hose and the two overflow hoses. My resolution for the two overflow hoses is to run them together into a T adapter and then run a single hose up to my one overflow connection to the filler neck. Hope to have it installed this weekend. What do you think so far

?
62041F9C-31C1-4464-BC45-FEF5A75FD3EA.jpeg
74E3B5F8-6496-4EE6-AEAB-5071719A152B.jpeg
D472BFF4-EFB6-4571-A1DB-82EE80B1ECCA.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom