1990 FJ62 Build Thread - Ellen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DUTCHDJ1

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

I haven't had a Land Cruiser in over 15 years (a 1994 FJ80) but am finally back in the saddle again with this 1990 FJ62. Any and all advice/suggestions are welcome.

Meet Ellen. I picked her up on Friday, April 1, 2022 (No this isn't a joke. :)
Got her from an 81 year old woman (named Ellen) here in Southeast VA.

It is a bit of a unicorn. It's only got 88K original miles and has been garaged since day 1. So not a single bit of rust or paint fade.
I love that she opted out of the electric windows and locks so both are manual. The interior looks as good as the exterior. Not a crack or tear anywhere.
She also had an AudiVox aftermarket cruise control put in back in 1998 (I have the receipt) and it works great.
It also still has a mounted Motorola DynaTAC 3500 car phone (I'm going to modify the internals on it to work as a bluetooth headset or GRMS radio but keep the car phone look.

She even gave me the original window sticker (from Bill Page Toyota) and dealer brochure with the key code tag attached to it.

The FJ62 does need a lot of standard maintenance work as not much was done over the years. Oil changes and recalls were done and a fuel pump back in 2013.

So on to the work needed that is getting underway.
- Change ALL fluids and flush where that applies (radiator, trans, etc.)
- Both front axle seals
- Oil pan gasket
- Trans pan gasket
- Rear main seal (seeping)
- Rear pinion seal (seeping)
- New distributor, plugs, and wires
- Throttle body cleaning
- Timing adjustment (so I don't have to have the throttle knob pulled out slightly to maintain good idle)
- MAF sensor cleaning
- New fuel filter, air filter
- New front marker lights (plastic cracked)
- New wipers all around
- New shocks, springs, bushings, shackles, bushings (all being taken care of by an OME suspension kit)

Mods I plan on adding - minimal drilling to preserve stock build (thanks to Bull Run Overland in Manassas, VA for great consulting and pricing better than online)
- ARB OME Suspension (2" lift)
- ARB Front bumper (winch ready - still trying to find the right US made winch)
- Rear bumper eventually but haven't found what I want to get
- ARB Rear locker
- ARB CKMA12 onboard compressor
- ARB Base 64 roof rack
- ARB protection steps
- 31+ tires (trying to keep it gas and highway friendly as I'll take long trips - camping, overland, BLM land, etc.) - advice on tires appreciated!
- Possibly new wheels eventually but it's sensory overload on what's available so it can wait for now.
- Seat covers (still figuring out which ones but going with US made and water resistant/waterproof)
- Dash cover
- Waterproof mats / carpet protection / cargo area protection (advice on what anyone likes and why are welcome - trying to go US made here too)
- Eventually a bolt on pull out awning
- Anything I'm missing?

I'll post pics as she progresses.

20220401_190400.jpg

Looks like a real unicorn - nice find! Mine looks the same, but has 260K miles on it! After you lift it and hang all sorts of weight and drag on it, it sure won't go any faster. Sticking to 31s as a max tire size is wise.

Looks like a real unicorn - nice find! Mine looks the same, but has 260K miles on it! After you lift it and hang all sorts of weight and drag on it, it sure won't go any faster. Sticking to 31s as a max tire size is wise.
Thanks! I'm actually surprised how much pep this 1990 has. Maybe because it's EFI. But I know the extra 250-300 lbs will probably affect it some.

Nice find. I grew up in VB, now in Richmond. Where are you located? Looking forward to following what you decide to do.

But my first recommendation is to drive it around for a while and get to know your rig before going whole hog.

A real cream puff. Nice score.
Now about the extra added weight..
But I know the extra 250-300 lbs will probably affect it some.

From experience, I can tell you that those heavy ARB accessories (bumper, rack and maybe a winch and 2nd battery later) are definitely going to take the pep out of driving it. I had those things and they definitely take their toll on performance and especially stopping distance.

Congratulations on your find! I look forward to seeing your progress with Ellen! I'll also be curious to see what you decide on the ARB goodies. I too am wondering how much to beef up the front/back bumpers, and I like the idea of a roof rack but not a big additional weight. Lots of decisions to make. Glad another old Cruiser is getting a second lease on life!
Kathryn and Kaylee

Nice find. I grew up in VB, now in Richmond. Where are you located? Looking forward to following what you decide to do.

But my first recommendation is to drive it around for a while and get to know your rig before going whole hog.
I'm in Northern VA. Definitely looking forward to doing some overland camping in places like George Washington Forest, Rapidan WMA, etc. Not to mention beach trips to the Outer Banks, Chincoteague, etc.

Nice. Craigslist, Offerup, FB Marketplace, etc?
Actually scored it on Auto Trader surprisingly. Had been searching everywhere for about a month. Then this one popped up out of the blue. Turns out it had been sold but the buyer hadn't shown up after a few weeks so the PO told him to get bent and that he wouldn't sell it to him. I'm guessing that's why it popped back up all of a sudden and I jumped on it.

Congratulations on your find! I look forward to seeing your progress with Ellen! I'll also be curious to see what you decide on the ARB goodies. I too am wondering how much to beef up the front/back bumpers, and I like the idea of a roof rack but not a big additional weight. Lots of decisions to make. Glad another old Cruiser is getting a second lease on life!
Kathryn and Kaylee
I got the newer lightweight ARB low profile rack to minimize weight. And also not doing anything (other than tapping for the locker air line) that I can't reverse. I'm going out of my way not to drill or cut on this baby.

I had seen several (with lots more mileage and already modded) when searching. So happy to find this low mileage blank canvas!

Actually scored it on Auto Trader surprisingly. Had been searching everywhere for about a month. Then this one popped up out of the blue. Turns out it had been sold but the buyer hadn't shown up after a few weeks so the PO told him to get bent and that he wouldn't sell it to him. I'm guessing that's why it popped back up all of a sudden and I jumped on it.
Best way to do it, know what you want and be ready to roll with cash when the right rig comes up. Great score.

Work is finally getting underway!
OME suspension (2") lift, trans pan, and rear main seal to start!

20220422_123716.jpg

Finally got time to post all the work I've had done or did myself (more of the former as I am limited on what I can do in a townhouse community).

- Done 6/22 - Change ALL fluids and flush where that applies (radiator, trans, etc.)

- Done 6/22 - Replace both front axle seals and repack bearings

- Done 6/22 - Replace oil pan (dent causing leak at seal) and gasket

- Done 6/22 - Trans pan gasket

- Done 6/22 - Rear main seal (seeping)

- Done 7/22 - Rear pinion seal (seeping)

- Done 7/22 - New distributor, plugs, and wires

- Done 7/22 - Throttle body cleaning

- Done 7/22 - Timing adjustment (so I don't have to have the throttle knob pulled out slightly to maintain good idle and stop valve noise)

- Done 7/22 - MAF sensor cleaning

- Done 7/22 - New fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter

- Done 7/22 - New front marker lights (plastic cracked)

- New wipers all around

- Done 6/22 - New shocks, springs, bushings, shackles (all being taken care of by an ARB OME suspension kit)

Mods I plan on adding - minimal drilling to preserve stock build (thanks to Bull Run Overland in Manassas, VA for great consulting and pricing better than online)

- Done 6/22 - ARB OME Suspension (2" lift) - springs, shocks, and shackles.

- Done 7/22 - ARB Front bumper (winch ready)

- still trying to find the right US made winch)

- Rear bumper eventually but haven't found what I want to get

- Done 7/22 - ARB Rear locker

- Done 7/22 - ARB CKMA12 onboard compressor

- in the garage for now - ARB Base 64 roof rack

- Done 9/22 - ARB protection steps (at least I did these)

- Done 8/22 - (went with BFG K02 265/75/16) 31+ tires (trying to keep it gas and highway friendly as I'll take long trips - camping, overland, BLM land, etc.)

- Done 8/22 - (went with Toyota OEM 16" steel wheels with new OEM lugnuts all around and also put on new Toyota OEM center caps and center sleeves i got from the UAE) Possibly new wheels eventually but it's sensory overload on what's available so it can wait for now. - they look real good.

- Done 9/22 - (went with Carhartt PrecisionFit Seat Covers from Car Cover World - best price including new user discount) - Seat covers (still figuring out which ones but going with US made and water resistant/waterproof) - They were easy to put on.

- Done 09/22 - replaced rear metal tailgate sill with one from a donor vehicle.

- Done 9/22 - Swapped out the stock AM/FM only radio for one with a cassette player a friend had for an MR2 and it plugged right in. I even found a bunch of old cassettes and a cassette adapter with an AUX cord to connect my phone. CD player add-on coming next which will remove my 1 DIN box for cassette covers. 🤔 - early 90s issues.

20220916_183313.jpg

20220916_183253.jpg

20220916_183236.jpg

20220916_183323.jpg

20220916_183330.jpg

20220916_183413.jpg

IMG_6024.jpg

IMG_5558.jpg

Last edited:
On the head unit - in my '97 3rd Gen T4R, I'm running a single DIN head unit out of a contemporary Camry (junkyard) along with a Crux Bluetooth adapter, which plugs into the back of the HU and acts like an external CD changer. This is the third late '90s Toyota I've done this with and it works great.

I don't think Toyota started adding the external CD control to the factory head units until about 96 or so, but this company looks promising, ymmv.

Rig looks great, lots of good work done up above!

Last edited:
On the head unit - in my '97 3rd Gen T4R, I'm running a single DIN head unit out of a contemporary Camry (junkyard) along with a Crux Bluetooth adapter, which plugs into the back of the HU and acts like an external CD changer. This is the third late '90s Toyota I've done this with and it works great.

I don't think Toyota started adding the external CD control to the factory head units until about 96 or so, but this company looks promising, ymmv.

Rig looks great, lots of good work done up above!
I actually had a CD player with the cassette player I put in that was mated with it but it doesn't play CDs (bad lens I think) but this is the unit that plugs right into the back of the cassette unit. The CD player was made in Nov 1992 part # 08601-00812 and they a pretty easy to come by on ebay and not very expensive. Cheaper than what I can get a new LED for the internals on the one I have. I'll have to look into the Crux BT adapter. I did see some cassette adapters with BT that you just slide the BT cassette into the player.

20220903_141320.jpg

20220902_194606.jpg

20220902_194118.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom