3L Hilux vs 1hdt hdj81 drivability (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do these compare power wise when it comes to daily driving?

I know how they compare on paper but I'm curious if anyone has driven both and can compare them.

From my experience (driving auto 3L diesel (d4d Hilux (5speed auto and 5 speed manual versions) and 1hd-ft 80 manual and 4 speed auto), the hilux is easier (quicker off the mark / lighter / easier to drive etc) than the 80. In saying that, I would 100% prefer the 80 for daily driving over the Hilux….
Another comparison is my wife’s 2014 200 series VX Landcruiser 6 speed auto (ttd) compared to my 1988 12ht manual 60 series…. With the mods I have done to my 60, on paper it produces similar power and torque at the wheels to the 200, however 200 is in another world as far as ease of daily driving, taking off with traffic, braking etc. everything is easier and better in the 200. Again - I prefer my 60 (and my wife and 2 daughters also prefer trips and daily driving in the 60…
I may be just a bit weird….

From my experience (driving auto 3L diesel (d4d Hilux (5speed auto and 5 speed manual versions) and 1hd-ft 80 manual and 4 speed auto), the hilux is easier (quicker off the mark / lighter / easier to drive etc) than the 80. In saying that, I would 100% prefer the 80 for daily driving over the Hilux….
Another comparison is my wife’s 2014 200 series VX Landcruiser 6 speed auto (ttd) compared to my 1988 12ht manual 60 series…. With the mods I have done to my 60, on paper it produces similar power and torque at the wheels to the 200, however 200 is in another world as far as ease of daily driving, taking off with traffic, braking etc. everything is easier and better in the 200. Again - I prefer my 60 (and my wife and 2 daughters also prefer trips and daily driving in the 60…
I may be just a bit weird….

That's what I wondered. Is even though it made less power, how it drove due to the likely lower weight, gearing and smaller tires.
My diesel experience prior to my 1hdt was 500+/1000+ power strokes. So no want or need for power. Definitely a different experience. I am not sure I could drive something with much less power than my 80. I'm really itching for gears on my rig to help drivability a little.

When I read "3L Hilux" I was thinking 2.8L non-turbo diesel, which is obviously going to be a dog compared to a 1HD-T. If you're talking D4D, that's a different conversation altogether.

When I read "3L Hilux" I was thinking 2.8L non-turbo diesel, which is obviously going to be a dog compared to a 1HD-T. If you're talking D4D, that's a different conversation altogether.

No, not the d4d.

The 2.8L 4 cyl 3L

The only importable Hilux is pre 1997.

No, not the d4d.

The 2.8L 4 cyl 3L

That depends on where you live, here in Canada I can import up to 2007.

1HD-T you can turn up the boost to 14psi with just a boost and EGT gauge, and a manual boost controller, no such cheap upgrade is available for the non-turbo 3L. Even before that, I would expect the 80 series to be quicker accelerating in all situations, but the smaller body Hilux (single cab anyway) might be easier to park in a crowded lot and stuff like that, I'm not sure how good the turning radius is on them.

That depends on where you live, here in Canada I can import up to 2007.

1HD-T you can turn up the boost to 14psi with just a boost and EGT gauge, and a manual boost controller, no such cheap upgrade is available for the non-turbo 3L. Even before that, I would expect the 80 series to be quicker accelerating in all situations, but the smaller body Hilux (single cab anyway) might be easier to park in a crowded lot and stuff like that, I'm not sure how good the turning radius is on them.

American not Canadian, which is why I stated the year range.

Crew cab would be ideal

I am leaving the engine in my 80 stock other than an exhaust system.

When I daily drove my HZJ77 to work and it was still NA there was a four door hilux in the area that did the same route. There’s a hill to get to town. It was all I could do to reach the speed limit of 90kmph but he couldn’t break 60kmph. They are slow as in slower than a 1HZ. A 1HDT will leave it in the dust. The chassis really isn’t comparable either.

I've owned and driven both an HDJ81 and an LN106 Hilux. The Hilux is no match for the LandCruiser; it is comparatively slow, noisy, uncomfortable and cramped. The Hilux I had cruised happily from Vancouver, BC all the way to Montana, doing around 110km/h on the interstate whenever it was flat. Pulling passes and hills was another matter, and generally required dropping into 4th gear, sometimes even 3rd. The HDJ81 was happiest cruising at around 110km/h too, but rarely had to slow down for hills and even mountain passes could be pulled at 90-100km/h.

The 3L in the Hilux was a puny but willing engine, happily working away to keep the truck at speed. The 1HD-T was under stressed and a little lazy feeling, but with power to spare when needed for hills or passing.

Drive a 22re pickup and a 1fzfe cruiser. That's pretty much apples to apples once you add a turbo to the hilux.

Drive a 22re pickup and a 1fzfe cruiser. That's pretty much apples to apples once you add a turbo to the hilux.

I wouldn't turbo it. I was debating one as a dd. But I spend a fair amount of time on the freeway and frankly the stories told sound like I should just look elsewhere.

Thanks guys.

I have the Japanese version HDJ81 with 5 speed manual. Tons of torque but geared way too low for the highway, 90km/h is the cruising speed which is 2250 rpm or so. I wish it had the 3.7 diff gears that the euro 5 speed HDJs have, 4.11 is just too low for pave without the auto tranny.

No, not the d4d.

The 2.8L 4 cyl 3L

I imported a Prado from Latin America with the 3L. It had a 5spd, G5x series iirc. It also had 4.88 factory gears.

Not fast but not a turtle around town. Didn’t like to go much over 55-60mph though.

The 3L is a great little diesel though, very reliable with out the 2LT head issues.

Stuff 25psi in your 1HDT, you won’t be disappointed. Just do it right.

Cheers

I imported a Prado from Latin America with the 3L. It had a 5spd, G5x series iirc. It also had 4.88 factory gears.

Not fast but not a turtle around town. Didn’t like to go much over 55-60mph though.

The 3L is a great little diesel though, very reliable with out the 2LT head issues.

Stuff 25psi in your 1HDT, you won’t be disappointed. Just do it right.

Cheers

It wasn't going to be a replacement. But an additional vehicle.

But I need something that can handle 70 mph with ease.

But I need something that can handle 70 mph with ease.
Yeah, that won’t be a Hilux. A KZJ90 would probably be pretty slick for a commuter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom