High Idle after Valve Adjustment (3fe engine) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a valve adjustment and then fired it up and the idle is super high. I had my throttle cable a little tight but after adjusting that back to the appropriate tightness I'm still idling at like 1000-1200 in P. In gear idle drops down to 650-750..

Is it standard to adjust timing after adjusting valves? I didn't do that.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

650-700 in gear is perfect. What is your timing set at?
That's why I was confused. Seems like it should be the same in park. I'll go through and make sure I didn't forget a vacuum line or something.

Should be 7 degree before TDC.. I adjusted it a while back and haven't touched it since.

I did a valve adjustment and then fired it up and the idle is super high. I had my throttle cable a little tight but after adjusting that back to the appropriate tightness I'm still idling at like 1000-1200 in P. In gear idle drops down to 650-750..

Is it standard to adjust timing after adjusting valves? I didn't do that.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
If you disconnected the battery, the idle will typically be higher for a few drive cycles until the ECU relearns the sensors.
The throttle cable should have some slack at idle. If the throttle plate is closed, the ECU will periodically try to adjust the the ISC to make the idle correct at 650 rpm.

If you disconnected the battery, the idle will typically be higher for a few drive cycles until the ECU relearns the sensors.
The throttle cable should have some slack at idle. If the throttle plate is closed, the ECU will periodically try to adjust the the ISC to make the idle correct at 650 rpm.
Thank you. I'll drive it around and hopefully it corrects itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom