TOYOTA, more than ever before... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i may indeed have a NOS Yellow Zinc one , ill check now

in mean time .........

Feast Your Teq Eyes on these :

100% METAL !

100% Thick type Brushed ALLOY media type better then OEM in every way

i over engineer , over deliver on these .

View attachment 2807629

View attachment 2807631

View attachment 2807633

Copy_67bb83e1-bc65-4d81-8d85-889151d809d0_2048x.png
Can I buy power steering reservoir decal? And what others are available?

I guess I can update things a bit here.

Florida is not for me. I grew up in Atlanta/Louisiana and it is hot and humid, but Florida is a different level and it’s not even “hot” yet. My German Shepard already hates being outside which is alarming. Everything on my truck has developed a light layer of rust and corrosion and the last bit of clear coat is finally peeling off my hood. Time to make an about face and retreat.

Heading to Montana. Was gonna leave tomorrow, but as I was running some last minute errands yesterday my ghetto fab exhaust rig finally gave up the ghost. It was always leaking a little bit. I had major power issues climbing steep hills with a heavy load. More than would be expected and I suspect that exhaust was being blown out of the system before it got to the O2 sensor under heavy load. Now, it will intermittently crap out around 2500 rpm. Can’t have that. So I’ve made an appointment to have the exhaust sorted out by someone who has the tools to do it. I’ll be here for at least an other week…

Well, my ghetto fab exhaust is finally fixed properly. I had the O2 sensor moved up stream a few inches to where it should be. The cat was nearly completely blocked because this thing was running so rich. Cat is gone now. The sniper wizard is running itself and should be good to go by the end of the day.
291FAAF6-7BDF-4BB4-8FE0-62D819A2FB86.jpeg
FDC71C88-AFE5-456B-94A5-15AC991D3389.jpeg
8A2C40F0-2754-447D-83AB-56B190A3864F.jpeg

Next on the list is solving the small air filter problem. When I installed the sniper I neglected to get an adapter for fitting the OEM air cleaner to the sniper. Thus, I bought a $20 Edlebrock air cleaner from the box store. It did it’s job. The filter doesn’t have much surface area and isn’t really that great. I certainly don’t want to go off road with it. It’s collecting dust very quickly.

Because I was strapped for space and time when I left Colorado for Florida I let go of all the spare parts that I didn’t have room for. Regrettably, I no longer have the OEM air cleaner. I had intended to find a bj60 series air cleaner box and carb hat so I could run it on the passenger side. Turns out those suckers are hard to come by and expensive here.

So my thoughts are to get an other OEM air box with adapter and install a left hand snorkel. My driver side fender is already trashed so cutting holes in it won’t hurt me a bit. And running a snorkel in the passenger side and then routing the air hose across the engine bay and over the valve cover seems like it’s more clutter than I would like.

My last idea is to use the driver side snorkel and install an in-line air box with a cone shaped filter. I would have to find a hat for the carb that will work. Seems like it would be the sleekest option and maybe the cheapest.

Thoughts?

I’ve never installed a snorkel but I’ve seen many setups online. (Armchair snorkel fan). If I had a snorkel, I’d want it installed as cleanly and as simple as possible. No convoluted ducting in the engine bay.

Some times when I was at a crossroad of indecision as to what would be the best way to do something - I’d refer to my guiding North Star and ask myself: How would Toyota do it?

If my plan didn’t pass what I thought was Toyota QC muster, (to a reasonable degree) I’d reassess and devise a different strategy.
Obviously I wasn’t capable of casting and machining new parts, but for little bolt on accessories- using that as a guide helped.

After selling, donating, and scrapping 9/10ths of my personal belongings I crammed the rest of my stuff into the 60 and I’m moving to Florida. It’s bittersweet. I love this place and it’s been home for almost 10 years, but I just can’t take the high cost of living and all the mask/vax stuff going on here. This trip will be interesting to say the least… I’ll post updates along the way. View attachment 2836156View attachment 2836157
Where did you get those seat covers? I like the look and want to keep my fabric looking good on my seats. Thanks.

I would source a 62 airbox and skip the snorkel unless I decided to do a lot more convoys through the desert. I often drive through ankle deep dust and the stock 60 air filters still lasts me a couple years.

Where did you get those seat covers? I like the look and want to keep my fabric looking good on my seats. Thanks.
Oreilly’s auto. They were the cheapest thing that wasn’t mossy oak camo. They haven’t held up well and I can’t say they have really protected anything. They mostly look better, but even that’s subjective. I suppose it keeps the dog hair from getting imbedded in the original fabric. But that’s a moot point really because the dog hair makes it’s way in there anyhow. I probably should have gotten the vinyl covers.

I would source a 62 airbox and skip the snorkel unless I decided to do a lot more convoys through the desert. I often drive through ankle deep dust and the stock 60 air filters still lasts me a couple years.
I received a job offer from Gibson guitars in Bozeman, Montana this week. I’m pretty certain I’ll be needing the dust and water protection that a snorkel provides. I know having the snorkel for water crossings really isn’t necessary because if the water was high enough to cover the hood the truck would become botany and float. It’s mostly for peace of mind and dust. I also like the fact that it rams cold air into the sniper, for what that’s worth.

So, I just noticed this…
76A7A093-7BE0-466B-8C8F-A68C2EBBE586.jpeg
not sure what exactly what is happening here. All the other plugs look nice and new. It doesn’t LOOK like an exhaust leak… it’s not an oil leak… maybe a small coolant leak? I cleaned all that up pretty well back in October when I was doing all the work.
76BFEAD8-38D5-445C-9572-A7FF565548CA.jpeg

If I had to guess, my guess would be that the freeze plug on top of the head is weeping a tad.

Mine was too. That would explain why the top of the head is so rusty also.
Well, that jives. Every so often I smell coolant cooking and I had assumed it was the overflow purging. Could never find a leak anywhere. Also explains the fine mist of what I had assumed was PS fluid left over from when I purged the system.

Is this a freeze plug that causes concern or can I just keep an eye on it till further engine overhaul plans arise?

Mine was weeping ever so slowly when under pressure for at least 10 years. Lots of rust on that side. I didn’t realize it until the head came off since it’s kinda hidden.
Your freeze plug has been in your cylinder head for 35+ years. It’s time tested -though maybe weeping a tiny bit when under pressure.
It’s seems that the chances of it blowing are extremely slim. Maybe none. Nobody on Mud has ever reported a blown cylinder head freeze plug that I’ve read.

Now that you’ve identified that potential problem spot, maybe just clean up that area and keep an eye on it until the next time the head comes off.

Mine was weeping ever so slowly when under pressure for at least 10 years. Lots of rust on that side. I didn’t realize it until the head came off since it’s kinda hidden.
Your freeze plug has been in your cylinder head for 35+ years. It’s time tested -though maybe weeping a tiny bit when under pressure.
It’s seems that the chances of it blowing are extremely slim. Maybe none. Nobody on Mud has ever reported a blown cylinder head freeze plug that I’ve read.

Now that you’ve identified that potential problem spot, maybe just clean up that area and keep an eye on it until the next time the head comes off.
Do you think it’s possible for exhaust gasses to leak past those plugs? I’m toying with the idea of scrubbing that area down, pulling those plugs and resealing them. I used red loctite on them. Everything else has held up. It’s just those two. I’m not entirely convinced it’s a coolant leak. I do have some weeping around the rear heater port and the original temp sensor. I’m considering removing the temp sensor and blocking it off with a plug. The sniper tells me exactly how hot the block gets.

I made it from Orlando to Atlanta yesterday. When I left initially, I was running low on fuel and hadn’t filled up in about a month. Truck had been sitting mostly and was only used for groceries.

The sniper was running the wizard right after I fixed the exhaust and moved the O2 sensor. When I would rev up to 2050 rpm I would lose power and it would hesitate like it did before the exhaust fix. I stopped and topped off the fuel thinking I’d have to limp back to my friend’s house. The truck seemed to drive just fine after that. Occasionally, I would feel it hesitating as if it was trying to catch up with the heavy load I’m carrying. It sailed smooth all the way up here. I even hit some bumper to bumper traffic and didn’t even have to use the gas pedal. Just release the clutch and it would crawl with traffic.

It’s just that weird hesitation yesterday at 2000 rpm and this odd corrosion around those air rail plugs that give me pause. Everything else is absolutely ace from what I can see/smell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom