My Turn - The Mega Dream Garage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hugh Heifer

Less than 115 days!
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.stlca.org
After reading dozens of threads and salivating over the FaceSpace Shops, Garages and Mancaves page/thread (whatever the kids call it on there, I finally am getting the shop I have always dreamed of.
Here are the renderings I did on the SteelCommander's website. Nice of them to let you use their tool for your own planing purposes. (There is some variation regarding to door placement.)

Back.JPG
Front.JPG
Left.JPG
Right.JPG

45x40 with 14 foot eve height. The leanto turned out to be 16 x30 in order to take full advantage of the 10' door height.

I found a guy on FB who has been building post frame buildings all around my area and his work looks top notch. He showed up on time (a little early actually) for the initial consult and got me a quote quickly. He came back yesterday for a down payment and they got going this morning. I am stoked.

He is doing the concrete on the interior.

I have a couple huge old concrete reservoirs on my property and am taking advantage of all the concrete by having the lean-to extend over it where one wall was bulldozed. (Ignore the setback - also the diagram is for placement only and is a bit bigger than it appears.)

Plat Zoom Air w plan.jpg

@Michael B and @Drake2 for some inspiration over the last year or two.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of demoing some of the reservoir wall. There was already a gap the PO made to drive in there. I built a leanto in there last year as a stop gap.
20210426_200724.jpg
20210807_141422.jpg
20210820_140236.jpg
20211017_185114.jpg
20211017_185138.jpg

And this is where I am today around lunch.
20220328_133043.jpg

It seems getting craftsman to show up is the biggest battle but my guy has been Johnny on the spot. I hope it turns out as good as some I have seen him build.

It is lookin' good HH! You might think about making your roll up doors 12' wide. A 10' wide door is very tight especially for backing anything into the building. Will there be a bar joist supporting the front edge of the lean to? if so you might not get the full 10'2" clearance as indicated by your drawing.

It is lookin' good HH! You might think about making your roll up doors 12' wide. A 10' wide door is very tight especially for backing anything into the building. Will there be a bar joist supporting the front edge of the lean to? if so you might not get the full 10'2" clearance as indicated by your drawing.
Thanks for the input. I was promised the full 10 feet to the door height. Originally we thought I could get 18 feet on the lean-to but he realized that was going to bring it too low so it is going to be 16 long and 30 wide. Good point on the door width. Their has been some discussion about that. My lean-to is 10 feet wide and, although tight, I have been able to handle it ok. But bigger is always better.

If you do or don’t get a wider door, I would go ahead and space the posts on the front edge of your lean to wider than 10’. A 10’ wide opening leading to a 10’ or possibly 12’ wide door is a very narrow and tight approach!

If you do or don’t get a wider door, I would go ahead and space the posts on the front edge of your lean to wider than 10’. A 10’ wide opening leading to a 10’ or possibly 12’ wide door is a very narrow and tight approach!
You actually talked me into it. I called the builder and he said it was no problem (but an up charge). I am getting a 12x12 on the side door.
Thanks for the suggestion.
The span to get to the front doors is not as shown. It is wider.

Posts are set.
20220329_081840.jpg

He is going to let the concrete set up and then be back in a day or so to start doing girts, then trusses, then endwalls, then concrete, then metal, then doors and windows. Should be done in about 14 days if the weather holds.

Looking forward to following along! What is the story on the concrete reservoir structures? Thats a very unique feature/structure i've not seen on a residential property ever before. Looks like a perfect place to hold a demo derby, you've got your very own mini colosseum!

Based on the turnaround time from initial consult to breaking ground, I assume no permits needed? Do they have any building inspections at all during the process?

Looking forward to following along! What is the story on the concrete reservoir structures? Thats a very unique feature/structure i've not seen on a residential property ever before. Looks like a perfect place to hold a demo derby, you've got your very own mini colosseum!

Based on the turnaround time from initial consult to breaking ground, I assume no permits needed? Do they have any building inspections at all during the process?
So I have two huge concrete reservoirs on 1.6 acres beside my 15 acre home property. I was required to join those two properties in order to build the shop since I was incorrectly zoned suburban residential and not agricultural residential (I am being rezoned this year AR - there is a horse farm right beside me :meh: ) The residential dwelling here must be on the same parcel as any accessory building when zoned residential.
Anyway, the reservoirs held over 2 million gallons of fire suppression water for the now shuttered textile mill down the hill from me that is now an event and movie venue. (Scenes of Mockingjay were filmed there.) The previous land owner was quit claimed the reservoir property as it is land locked by this property and other parcels I now ow . Now I have it. (Total acreage is 35.) He bulldozed a hole to be able get in and to try to use it for something but never did use it. The infrastructure of pumps and valves has been removed but the drains (thankfully) work fine. They really can't hold water anymore. I built a leanto in there as a stop gap for the garage about 2 years ago. I considered covering the entire thing with a metal roof but it would have been cost prohibitive, never dry inside and freezing cold in the winter and an oven in the summer. Similarly, puting the building on it would have required extensive and expensive demolishing of the concrete since it is a bit of a bowl and always been wet on the floor. So it is now a place to drag and cut logs, store construction equipment and parts cars. I am going to put raised beds in there when this is done. We also party in there from time to time. I am going to add a basketball hoop too just because. The other one is our shooting range. :hillbilly:

As far as permitting, according to our Unified Land Development Code, an agricultural building needs no permits if it is under 4000sqft except for power. It must meet code if it would later be used for other purposes. I will be storing my tractor and pickup in there as well as drying hand cut lumber so it meets the requirements of an ag building.
I will need a permit to do the electrical. I plan on hanging a meter on it. There is a poke about 30 feet away that the meter on my little s***ty shed is connected to by meter.
I am allowed to do other stuff in the building but its primary purpose must be ag. A guy I know just built one that is a party barn with a bar and signs and his car collection in it. Whe he got the wiring signed off all the inspector could do was stand a drool. Not an ag purpose at all to his.

I will say that the inspectors and most of the guys at planning do not know their own rules and tried desperately to sell me $550 worth if permits. The code is pretty clear. I am sure they will pay me a visit before long to be able to hear all that again.

this looks to be pretty cool, out of curiosity, what were the reservoirs used for previously?
From above:
Anyway, the reservoirs held over 2 million gallons of fire suppression water for the now shuttered textile mill down the hill from me that is now an event and movie venue.

I don't know why, but I am very sad that I don't have one of those old reservoirs on my property. :)

Rain is killing me. Builder advised he was going to hang trusses tomorrow but it rained off and on all weekend and is supposed to rain midnight until noon tomorrow which means a muddy mess on the build site.

Eventually I guess.

It’s all part of building. If it ain’t one thing it’s another!

We could sure use some rain where I live; we are in drought conditions and this is supposed to be the rainy time of the year when our aquifers get recharged, but barely anything this year so far. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom