Need a High-Speed gear and 4 speed output shaft for my Transfer case rebuild: 10/73 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for good used components to complete my transfer case rebuild. When I put the gear on the shaft, I hear a metallic noise indicating wear. Let me know if anyone out there has a good set. Thanks

20220408_154534.jpg

20220408_154519.jpg

Are you sure thats a 4spd case ? Gray at Mudraks or Georg at Cruiser Brothers, need a new gear or just a bushing ?

Are you sure thats a 4spd case ? Gray at Mudraks or Georg at Cruiser Brothers, need a new gear or just a bushing ?
There is some slop in the gear so I guess I could replace the bushing. I guess I would prefer to just buy a set that is in good shape.

It was my experience that the bushing and shaft wore in an hour glass pattern which required a new shaft and bushing, which is hard to find by the way.

Again, the shaft pictured indicates a 3 speed case. Both the vendors above are familiar with what the clearance between the bushing and shaft should be, have to check with them and see if the have a set thats within tolerance. Like 1 to 3 thousandths IIRC.

Again, the shaft pictured indicates a 3 speed case.
I'm new at this so bare with me. I have a late 73. It has a 4 speed transmission mated to my transfer case. I have been lead to believe it is a 3 speed transfer case.

Again, the shaft pictured indicates a 3 speed case. Both the vendors above are familiar with what the clearance between the bushing and shaft should be, have to check with them and see if the have a set thats within tolerance. Like 1 to 3 thousandths IIRC.
Thanks. I'll give them a call.

The 1/74-4/75 transition four transfer case actually had the thinner gears on the input gear, high range part of the idler gear and high range output gear. Only the low range gear on the idler and low range output gear are wider. The input gear changed to sixteen spline with the four speed. Idler gear was different during the transition. The high range output gear was the same as on the three speed and transition four speed. Low range gear thebthe transition case actually was the same ratio as the 4/75-7/80 transfer case. Not the same as the one in the three speed.

What output high range gear depends on what four speed case. Up to 4/75 would be a three speed type. Later would be the wider four speed.

But the transition 4spd case would have had a stake nut not the cotter pin ?

But the transition 4spd case would have had a stake nut not the cotter pin ?

That could be possible. Haven't found a listing for that nut. Have a few of these transition transfer case. A easy to get to is 4 K or 11/74. It has the stake nut. It also has the narrow high range and wide low range gears. Could date the case or best check the idler gear. But with a cotter pin probably is a three speed case

Funny the two transition cases I have were out of a 78 and the one that is in my 3/79. Not sure it these were installed thinking was a easy way to get the lower gears in low range a replacement for a problem in the original case. Funny thing if think they are getting lower gears when actually have the noisier narrower gears in high range and the four speed higher gearing in low range.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all of your great knowledge. I measured the shaft and both the high speed and low speed gears and they were both out of spec. I ordered new gears and a new shaft from FJ Parts. Sonny over there was pretty helpful and knowledgeable.

Mic the new shaft at both sides and in the middle of where the bushing rides, mic the bushing in the new gear at the same points and see what you get, I'm curious as we had to check a few before we found a winner, is it in fact a NEW shaft ? with the course splines or are you going with the fine spline front disconnect ? I di dnot think the old coarse spline ones were available as a new part, curious ?

Mic the new shaft at both sides and in the middle of where the bushing rides, mic the bushing in the new gear at the same points and see what you get, I'm curious as we had to check a few before we found a winner, is it in fact a NEW shaft ? with the course splines or are you going with the fine spline front disconnect ? I di dnot think the old coarse spline ones were available as a new part, curious ?
I will do what you suggest and get back to you. L

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom