Filled up with gas this A.M. Missfire on cylinder 4 100ft out of the parking lot. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
SOB!
Having a hard time believing it's just coincidence that I suddenly lose a fuel injector.
I'll run all the standard diagnostics but my guess is I have 25 gallons of fuel I probably have to dump and a clogged injector.

Any thoughts from the collective?

SOB!
Having a hard time believing it's just coincidence that I suddenly lose a fuel injector.
I'll run all the standard diagnostics but my guess is I have 25 gallons of fuel I probably have to dump and a clogged injector.

Any thoughts from the collective?
You have two fuel filters between the pump and the injectors.

If you bought fuel from a "busy" gas station, odds are it's not the fuel.

If it's from a no-name fuel station that is never busy, you may have water or poor quality fuel, but it will still run.

I think you're getting OCD about it. It will most likely work itself out or it's a separate issue from a loose or damaged wire.

Also, pull the EFI fuse to clear all settings and see if it resets.

Take a breath, slowly in and out......

Maybe check the spark plug wire connection on the dizzy cap and the spark plug??

100 feet may not be enough time/distance for any kerapp in the new gas to get to your injectors. The couple times I've gotten bad fuel it took ?? 1-3 miles before the engine started to cough IIRC.

One day twenty years ago after visiting a dealer service dept I got a misfire on #3 while on a trip, turned out to be a loose wire on #3 spark plug. Another time I found a poor connection at one of the wire towers on the dizzy cap (it was after that when I started to do most service/repairs myself).

FWIW

Last edited:
Found it...
I was holding the spark plug boot in the area of the red circle with the plug grounded to the lifting hook; when my wife pulsed the key, the jolt knocked me off my foot stool. WOW the igniter's working!

Pretty sure I'm not supposed to get shocked holding the insulator....:rolleyes: Dammit that hurt.
1649630839675.png

Just had a similar experience, I think it has something to do with the switch to summer blend. In my case a new fuel pump did the trick.

So was it a bad/loose connection, defective spark plug wire, or??

Found it...
I was holding the spark plug boot in the area of the red circle with the plug grounded to the lifting hook; when my wife pulsed the key, the jolt knocked me off my foot stool. WOW the igniter's working!

Pretty sure I'm not supposed to get shocked holding the insulator....:rolleyes: Dammit that hurt.
View attachment 2977196

Bet the Wifey 'snickered' a bit.

Mine would have laughed out loud.

Bet the Wifey 'snickered' a bit.

Mine would have laughed out loud.
To her credit she was afraid she'd hurt me seriously. Definitely a keeper.👍

So was it a bad/loose connection, defective spark plug wire, or??
Defective boot is my guess, I used NKG wires last time... genuine Toyota inbound.

Defective boot is my guess, I used NKG wires last time... genuine Toyota inbound.

After replacing the wire set, I hope you tear down the existing one to see exactly what went wrong. I just did some searching and couldn't find out how NGK sets are constructed. Could it be the extension tube coming unthreaded, or is it molded in place? Broken terminal ear?

The boot I was holding just slips over the wire. It tagged me right through the boot.

Update:
So I looked back through my records and lo and behold I did not change the wires last time I changed the plugs.
I did an ohms inspection per FSM and they passed the "greater than 2K ohms test." and that was 20K miles ago.
These were the plug wires put in by the PO at least 50K miles ago. I bought the rig at 211K and she's at 260900 today. Not bad after all.
The ohms test shows 400 to 600 ohms on these plug wires, so I guess I can't be too upset.
Runs much better.

Minor momentary panic...oops.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom