FJ60 idle help and PCV question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

ever since I got my '83 up and running it has never idled well. It runs great with the choke slightly pulled out, but with the choke in it stalls out as soon as I left off the gas. I am not only new to wrenching but this emission system and carb confuses the heck out of me. I've been trying to learn more and I have the 2F emission manual.

currently checking for loose hoses and connections. This 'T' coming off the PCV valve is confusing me, there is no description of this in the 2f emissions manual. Anyone know where this connects to?
2022-04-09 10.12.55.jpg

1942CEBA-5781-4E99-A206-141F30D349B6.jpeg

Curious where you found your 60. I brought mine from NV to FL and it was idling at 1500 when it started here. Difference in altitude required adjusting the timing and the idle setting on the carb.

Curious where you found your 60. I brought mine from NV to FL and it was idling at 1500 when it started here. Difference in altitude required adjusting the timing and the idle setting on the carb.
The town which I bought it from in gold country California is about the same altitude as where I am located. About 100 ft elevation difference.

That tee fitting should have a hose connected to it and the HIC valve under the air cleaner cover.

If your HIC valve is gone or inop, plug that tee fitting pipe that’s connected to the PCV valve. It’s a huge vacuum leak when open. That’s why the engine isn’t idling nice.

BB874F1F-1D29-4DE3-B040-090409CDB60E.jpeg
7F80801D-28C7-46A3-BDF4-B9F59D72EDBE.jpeg
FFF35502-74C1-4568-A8F5-56B7F6F8F6DE.jpeg

That tee fitting should have a hose connected to it and the HIC valve under the air cleaner cover.

If your HIC valve is gone or inop, plug that tee fitting pipe that’s connected to the PCV valve. It’s a huge vacuum leak when open. That’s why the engine isn’t idling nice.
Hey thank you so much, I guess I was looking at PCV diagram and it was not on that one. with the choke pulled out about a finger width, I place my finger on the hose and it is a huge vacuum leak for sure. I just didn't know where it was supposed to connect to. There is another open pipe in my 2nd picture just underneath the air cleaner cover, I guess I will plug that one up to as it is probable part of that system.

Yes - see drawing.
It looks like the previous owner removed the HIC valve and replaced it orientated 90° out. Normally its L pipe points towards the rear so the hose connects to it in a straight path.

44BAF917-960B-408F-99A5-7F3A46A4D3D3.jpeg

Hi folks,

ever since I got my '83 up and running it has never idled well. It runs great with the choke slightly pulled out, but with the choke in it stalls out as soon as I left off the gas. I am not only new to wrenching but this emission system and carb confuses the heck out of me. I've been trying to learn more and I have the 2F emission manual.

currently checking for loose hoses and connections. This 'T' coming off the PCV valve is confusing me, there is no description of this in the 2f emissions manual. Anyone know where this connects to?
View attachment 2976074

View attachment 2976075

44BAF917-960B-408F-99A5-7F3A46A4D3D3.jpg

I plugged those lines seems to be better idle but still weak and dies after a few seconds.

my ICS is working, I hear the click and I am getting power to it.
When I pull the actuator on the back of this diaphragm I get a good idle with the choke in! now I am trying to see where and how I can get decent amount of vacuum strength to this diaphragm.
photo_2022-04-09 14.01.37.jpeg

I See one open port here but no vacuum:
2022-04-09 14.05.37.jpg

another on the egr that is capped but no vacuum that I can feel:
2022-04-09 14.07.19.jpg

zoomed out picture of engine bay:
2022-04-09 14.05.47.jpg

im gonna dig into this manual to see how I can get vacuum in to that diaphragm as I believe this will solve my issue. anyone have any pictures of their rigs that would be awesome.

@robcgray

Your EGR and bottom of HAC valve (red thing) are not vacuum leaks.
yea I see that the Q line from that top valve is what connects to the EGR line there, they are both capped off. any idea how I can vacuum to that diaphragm? I had this truck at a pretty well known cruiser mechanic and he told me that line to the diaphragm was not necessary as it is for ac, and I do not have ac. but the idling when the actuator behind the diaphragm is pulled gets my idle back.

2022-04-09 14.43.20.jpg

this is all I have the driver side border of the engine bay, looks like the line should attach there ac idle vsv, but the plastic pipes are broken.
I suppose id need this, even if I dont have AC? or is there someway to adjust the actuator on the carb?

B02B1890-C73D-4E57-B876-46186486E78E.jpeg

Last edited:
EGR line there, they are both capped off. any idea how I can vacuum to that diaphragm

See the EGR system in the emissions manual. There’s a few extra components it requires. Since yours is all capped off, leave it as is. It was disabled likely because it was malfunctioning.

That broken VSV on the driver’s side engine bay was indeed used to control the AC system idle up. Since you don’t have AC, you can remove it - since it has busted pipes anyway.

While you guys sort out which vacuum hose goes where, I’d like to suggest that you replace that crusty looking PCV valve (12203-61010) and the rock hard grommet (90480-18180) with new parts.
Thanks, yea was thinking the same it’s kinda loose fitting the gasket is definitely crusty

See the EGR system in the emissions manual. There’s a few extra components it requires. Since yours is all capped off, leave it as is. It was disabled likely because it was malfunctioning.

That broken VSV on the driver’s side engine bay was indeed used to control the AC system idle up. Since you don’t have AC, you can remove it - since it has busted pipes anyway.

so since I dont need that system, I am assuming I dont need vacuum to that diaphragm to help pull the actuator. So the issue is likely with my carb then, I will have to learn to adjust it next.

You need to get a vacuum gauge. Required equipment for this engine. You can get one at any auto parts store.
It’ll show what the engine vacuum is and let you know if there’s any vacuum leaks.

When the engine is warm, the choke no longer is a choke but a throttle positioner. Pulling out on the choke knob when the engine is warm is exactly the same thing as slightly depressing the gas pedal.

If you can get the engine to idle smooth and not too fast by just pulling out the choke a tad, then maybe all that needs to be done is setting the idle speed on the carburetor a little faster.
It’s just a set screw you can access with a normal screwdriver. Super easy - once you find it.

32391641-5CF8-4496-B629-A6C9E658CEB0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom