Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I tried Fluid Film on the tip of my exhaust pipe. It keeps the carbon suit from sticking on the inside. Super tiny victory, probably too early to tell. It seems worthy trying to enhance the life of the galvanized coating, I wonder how much heat Fluid Film can take? Like, will Fluid Film just polymerize, akin to the coating on my cast iron Lodge skillet, and I can keep exhaust welds looking clean?

Don’t forget the underside

AE28F16C-5CBD-42C6-AC93-EADC97C60ECB.jpeg

@wngrog is your process on the underside different than for the rest of the truck?

@wngrog is your process on the underside different than for the rest of the truck?
Oh yeah.

Underside I dry clean the frame and body as much as I can. Chipping mud out of the frame and using a air gun and vacuum

I then wash and scrub

Let it dry and then I either coat with undercoating or
Paint.

Once I finish all of my mechanicals I hose them with fluid film to get all the spots I missed

So you paint and also fluid film? I get that the film gets into places you missed, but you feel it also protects the newly painted surfaces?

Even on a newly painted underside this stuff gets all in the mounts and in the frame. On fresh paint it makes cleaning really easy.

Steel wool and lanolin make for anything but a sheepish Cruiser. This time, I specifically used Boeshield (here, I'd prefer a thin white wax film over the dust magnet of the lanolin-based Fulid Film). This air cleaner assembly was like velcro catching all the lint off of a rag, but after getting the 0000 steel wool treatment, it easily wipes without catching rags, making it nice to maintain at an unrealistic level of cleanliness for something that is going to be exposed to an unfathomable amount of New Mexico clay and silt. I was amazed at the level of smoothness I was able to accomplish without removing too much paint and rust.

20211203_164646.jpg

Not a cruiser, but hoping for a decent patina truck. This '71 Scout II was sitting for close to 20 years before I got it and all the grime shows! Other than the junk growing on the truck I also had to deal with the rough "mossy oak" paint job the PO added. Started with a CLR clean and goof off/lacquer thinner combo to remove the camo paint job. I have a few little spots to clean up before I finish with Boiled linseed oil, but this is already a heck of a lot better!
Image from iOS (100).jpg

Image from iOS - 2022-01-24T165419.202.jpg

Image from iOS (99).jpg

Image from iOS (98).jpg

Last edited:
Not a cruiser, but hoping for a decent patina truck. This '71 Scout II was sitting for close to 20 years before I got it and all the grime shows! Other than the junk growing on the truck I also had to deal with the rough "mossy oak" paint job the PO added. Started with a CLR clean and goof off/lacquer thinner combo to remove the camo paint job. I have a few little spots to clean up before I finish with Boiled linseed oil, but this is already a heck of a lot better!
View attachment 2904362
View attachment 2904361

View attachment 2904363

View attachment 2904364
My first “real” 4wd was a 71 Scout II I bought out of a field from my brother’s girlfriends mom for $200. I scraped that $200 together, then proceeded to ruin that thing by not understanding what a spring over plus 6” lift wagoneer springs would do. Plus cutting up and discarding lots of original parts. But it would pull a wheelie in 4 low, low gear and no front driveline (see soa + 6” waggy springs). Mine was same color but 2 tone so white down the center of the body. Ahhhhh… memories.

I love seeing these progress pics.

Thought I’d share - I came across an ad for Poppy’s Patina the other day. I have no affiliation with this co and have never tried it, but it seems relevant to preserving patina when there is rust. Apparently you can wipe it on? I’d never heard of it before and apologies if it’s been posted already.

Image taken from their site:

27D61DFB-AE20-4F83-A90D-8E1F6211AAD2.jpeg

The "can use a catalyst but it's not necessary" makes me think it is an enamel clear coat of some sort.

@wngrog Wondering if you've ever used high pressure water sprayer to lightly strip second coat of paint? Our 40 has a bad second paint layer over mostly good original paint. I've been able to remove some with a wet razor blade, but some paint is better adhered in places and I risk scratching the good paint. Would love to strip off the second layer to expose what's underneath. Any advice? (Apologies if I missed an earlier post.)

Pic of our rig:
IMG-7916.jpg

@90WT try soaking in easy off oven cleaner, wait 5 minutes then use grey scotchbrite

Can also try graffiti remover, sit 5 minutes and high pressure water. Then try the oven cleaner after.

Have had good luck with EasyOff on my crappy primer job from previous owner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom