FJ62 Oil Pan- What would You Do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TStro

SILVER Star
Threads
I recently got "Help" changing my oil in my 89' FJ62 from a family member. After draining the oil I proceeded to get out from underneath my cruiser to swap out the filter. My family member decided to take it upon themselves to re-install the drain plug, with an impact gun. Not the small Dewalt, but the Big Daddy used on lugnuts. UGH! Thus stripping out the oil pan with the drain plug in place. It just spun and spun. To get the plug removed I was able to wobble the plug and get it removed, but the threads on the pan were toast. I ordered a new OEM pan, gasket, and plug and waited for Mr. Fed Ex.
This past weekend I took my time removing and replacing the pan and gasket. (Thanks to all the members posting threads on the process and tips and tricks!) I waited a day for the FIPG to set up and went to install the new OEM plug and fill the oil. After a turn-and-a-half by hand, the plug bound up. I tried a few more times, but still, it bound up like the threads are messed up. The threads on the plug look fine. I know it's the correct size and angled orientation to sit flush to the pan. At this point, I am scared s***less of screwing up a new pan. I don't want to force it but I really want to put this simple task of changing the oil behind me, two weeks after what should have taken 45 min. Any ideas and thoughts on my next step would be appreciated. Pic for attention
1649185163932.jpeg

Did the pan come with a new plug? I’ll bet it’s a smaller plug than the original. Do you know the thread size? For example, 14x1.50 ? If someone will call out the right size, I would run the appropriate size tap through it with some grease on it to catch any debris.

There are two sizes for the plug. My new oem pan I did in 2018 was much smaller than the oem plug. I think m12x1.25 and I used a Dorman magnetic plug and it uses a 14mm socket.

I dont remember what the original size is.

Since the drain plug isn’t included with the pan, perhaps the wrong drain plug was shipped or ordered?
Normally it screws in effortlessly.
Maybe there’s a burr on the pan threads or the plug?
Examine with a magnifying glass.

UPDATE: Thanks for all of the replies. I purchased a new plug with the same part number, 90341-12012. It spun in with ease. I compared the two plugs, with identical part numbers, and the threads were different. I guess Mr. Toyoda and his part departments aren't perfect. :bang::rolleyes:. I installed the plug and filled it with oil. Everything worked great after that. Replacing the pan fixed my slow drip, so far, so I guess everything worked out for the best in the end. I will re-torque the pan bolts in a few hundred miles. On to the thermostat and u joints!

In the future you should limit your helpers to tasks such as "hand me that wrench" and "can you scratch my nose". Either that or keep your impact gun in a locked cabinet and tell them you lost the key. I'm glad you are taking this so well...:p

FWIW it was my father. He was an engineman in the Navy on an old diesel submarine. We have worked on motorcycles and lawnmowers my whole life. He's forgotten more about engines than I've even learned.

FWIW it was my father. He was an engineman in the Navy on an old diesel submarine. We have worked on motorcycles and lawnmowers my whole life. He's forgotten more about engines than I've even learned.
Ahhh. I didn't mean to disrespect your father. Maybe it's the new tech. How can anything not connected to a plug or a hose have any real power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom