Post up pics of tachs in your 40s (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jim S.

SILVER Star
Threads
How they're mounted, likes / dislikes, etc. Don't know whether to go traditional style or digital. Thanks.

Filled PO’s holes.
IMG_2602.JPG

Like @middlecalf filling po hole, very happy to find same size tach
1979 tach.jpg

I have always used cheap induction style tachs on snowmobiles and dirt bikes. One cruiser I had, I stuck one in the ashtray and ran the wire through a firewall hole to the plug wire. Worked well but I didn’t have it too long. I used it for setting idle and general tuning.

15BDFD88-AF88-4BFD-8A69-A09E72642FA4.jpeg

Cheap VatoZone plastic tach clamped on the steering column. Works well for me.

Sun Super tach II, in my 5/73
I do not mind not seeing the blinker light.
Works for me and is out of the way of my knee.

Sun Tach.jpg

I have always used cheap induction style tachs on snowmobiles and dirt bikes. One cruiser I had, I stuck one in the ashtray and ran the wire through a firewall hole to the plug wire. Worked well but I didn’t have it too long. I used it for setting idle and general tuning.

View attachment 2919365

This tach is the best for size and "out of the way but you still can see it".

ok, now i'm impressed..not by the small size, which is nice, but by the 4k range..truly very nice you get to use 3/4 of the swing vs only a quarter of it

X2. Never understand having a 8K tachometer on any F engine. My plan is for a HJ47 bezel using either a FJ60 or FJ62 tachometer. Have a few FJ62 tachometers already but FJ60 is 500 RPM lower on the range. Both need a little work to fit the 40 series tachometer bezel but the right size. Have a small aftermarket tachometer clamped to the steering column on my 68. Different location and no picture. Believe that one is 6K range. My 73 had some large on clamped top to the steering column. It required trimming the clamshell cover. Would have to check range but was too big in my opinion.

I looked around a bit for a FJ60 tach, but wasn’t successful, plus I had the two holes the PO(s) had cut into the dash to fill or … well fill. I was almost on the verge to fill them with metal 😂 and forgo the tach (and the Autometer volt meter which I already had and fit - 2-1/16”) when I came across the speedhuts. They’re the only ones I found that had a 4k gauge in 2-1/16”. 2-1/16" Tachometer 4K RPM Shift-light - https://speedhut.com/gauge-application/classic-street-rod/classic-tachometers/classic-standard-tachometer/2-1-16-tachometer-4k-rpm-shift-light/

The way I drive my cruisers, I really don’t need much over 2k 😂.

I use this mounted like @middlecalf left of the steering column.

I drive by tach because it’s more reliable than my non-op speedometer.

I looked around a bit for a FJ60 tach, but wasn’t successful, plus I had the two holes the PO(s) had cut into the dash to fill or … well fill. I was almost on the verge to fill them with metal 😂 and forgo the tach (and the Autometer volt meter which I already had and fit - 2-1/16”) when I came across the speedhuts. They’re the only ones I found that had a 4k gauge in 2-1/16”. 2-1/16" Tachometer 4K RPM Shift-light - https://speedhut.com/gauge-application/classic-street-rod/classic-tachometers/classic-standard-tachometer/2-1-16-tachometer-4k-rpm-shift-light/

The way I drive my cruisers, I really don’t need much over 2k 😂.

Believe the aftermarket tachometer in my 68 has settings for 4, 6 or 8 cylinders. I could set it for 4 cylinder that way when I drive 1800 RPM which it what the engine likes would only read 1200.

I do have a 73 with plenty of extra holes in the dash. One above the light switch black face and white text would probably look good.
IMG_20200923_121055460.jpg
IMG_20200923_121023440.jpg
IMG_20200923_120956535.jpg

Autometer # 2891
6K max, mounted on the column with a hose clamp.
My only complaint is how bright the backlight is at night, I need to get around to installing an adjustable resistor to dial down the brightness.
Works great and matches my cluster better than the Sunpro (in my opinion).
PXL_20220210_013110658.jpg

Thanks all for your posts. Have a 3 3/8" coming from Summit. Will mount it on Steering column.

Do you have details on the gauges in your cluster?

I replaced the stock oil pressure, temperature, and ammeter gauges with Autometer equivalents, though I used a voltmeter in place of the ammeter. There is a Mud member who used to make kits to do this, and I bought and used one of his kits. Unfortunately, he is no longer making or selling the kits. :(
The important parts of the kit were a custom-formed sheet metal bracket that the new gauges bolted to, and a mask for the front so that the gauges looked right (more like stock) in the cluster. It also included electroluminescent wire to light the entire cluster (this was before LED cluster lights were commonly available).

I replaced the stock oil pressure, temperature, and ammeter gauges with Autometer equivalents, though I used a voltmeter in place of the ammeter. There is a Mud member who used to make kits to do this, and I bought and used one of his kits. Unfortunately, he is no longer making or selling the kits. :(
The important parts of the kit were a custom-formed sheet metal bracket that the new gauges bolted to, and a mask for the front so that the gauges looked right (more like stock) in the cluster. It also included electroluminescent wire to light the entire cluster (this was before LED cluster lights were commonly available).
Thank you. The gears in my head are starting to turn.

Autometer, Ziptied. I like the 4k limit and it's lighted.
The straight on pic is misleading, it only blocks the blue high beam light in the gauge cluster from the drivers view.

View attachment 2920134View attachment 2920135

What size of gauge is this? Thinking of mounting my 3 3/8" Boost/EGT gauge in this location. I bought a faceplate and 60 series tacho to go in the dash left of the steering wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom