60 series 3F into 62 with automatic transmission swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just inherited a 62 from a friend with no engine and a bad trans. It is in great shape in all the important places and I want to take the engine install as a DYI project. I have limited experience mechanically but very skilled friends who can and are willing help out. I was able to source a low mile 3f from a 60 locally for a good price and have found an automatic trans from a 62 - any reason why I can’t couple these? Obviously the 60 was an manual, but I don’t really want to have to do that swap with limited experience. There will be plenty of fun learning involved in this process so I am happy to keep it closer to how the tuck was intended to live for now. Any major differences I am not considering beyond the EFI on the 3FE that would cause this not to work. Thanks in advance for any advice or insight anyone can offer.

Last edited:
The FJ60 2F engine mated to the FJ62 automatic transmission would be a horrible combination- if it’s even possible.
The 2F redlines at 4000 rpm and sounds like the world is going to end when it gets near 3600 rpm.
You don’t want to bolt the FJ62 transmission to anything but a 3F-E (if you have to use that transmission).

Assuming you mean you sourced a 2F motor from a 60 (?). (There actually is a 3F motor designation, not offered in the US).

The first thing that comes to mind is the kick down cable that connects the 3FE throttle/EFI to the automatic transmission. With a 2F motor you will not have his attachment anywhere in the throttle linkage/carburetor. Not sure how that would play out.

The flywheel/flexplate conversion should work, the manual trans swap is very common now on the FJ62 so should work just fine in reverse engineering. Speaking of...a 2F connected to the A440F auto trans is likely to be a real (slow) dog! The automatic sucks the life out of these low powered slow motors. The 3FE was at least configured somewhat with that in mind, the 2F was not.

The A440F auto transmissions in these trucks are really beginning to live out the last of their lives, the truck you got has a bad one already, I would bet the automatic your getting has its days numbered. This is why the FJ62 conversion to the 5 speed manual is an almost commonplace swap around here now...the autos are dying...and a manual transmission behind the 3FE really lets the motor come alive.

I will say though...if you swap a used 2F into a FJ62 with a used automatic transmission, you will definitely be the only kid on your block with one! :p:oops: #dontdoit

Last edited:
2F plus H42 manual transmission -standard in USA FJ60
3FE plus A440F auto transmission -standard in USA FJ62

3FE plus H55 manual 5 speed transmission - proven hybrid, needs clutch pedal bucket for FJ62 body.

HTH

Assuming you mean you sourced a 2F motor from a 60 (?). (There actually is a 3F motor designation, not offered in the US).

The first thing that comes to mind is the kick down cable that connects the 3FE throttle/EFI to the automatic transmission. With a 2F motor you will not have his attachment anywhere in the throttle linkage/carburetor. Not sure how that would play out.

The flywheel/flexplate conversion should work, the manual trans swap is very common now on the FJ62 so should work just fine in reverse engineering. Speaking of...a 2F connected to the A440F auto trans is likely to be a real (slow) dog! The automatic sucks the life out of these low powered slow motors. The 3FE was at least configured somewhat with that in mind, the 2F was not.

The A440F auto transmissions in these trucks are really beginning to live out the last of their lives, the truck you got has a bad one already, I would bet the automatic your getting has its days numbered. This is why the FJ62 conversion to the 5 speed manual is an almost commonplace swap around here now...the autos are dying...and a manual transmission behind the 3FE really lets the motor come alive.

I will say though...if you swap a used 2F into a FJ62 with a used automatic transmission, you will definitely be the only kid on your block with one! :p:oops: #dontdoit
I am pretty sure it’s a 3F - I guess it’s from South America? It’s only got 125k miles on it. Currently a 4sp manual - I could try and do a conversion to manual as he has all the parts, but with al the extra fuss at this point I may just go the LS route.

5E8235EB-4F4A-4E03-B3CB-F0DAD286EAB0.jpeg

C8B13F31-2267-49C1-9DCC-C0FD94FBD80C.jpeg

6BA2DC70-6068-4B2C-8DBD-46C9806C8B2B.jpeg

FD6D7058-F628-4CB8-A8CC-A961302EE5B0.jpeg

F004D835-33A8-4D5A-A576-0147DFD25512.jpeg

That’s a mid 1985 or later USA 2F engine that originally was in a FJ60. It’s the ‘newer’ design.

See the embossed “2F” on the aluminum valve cover. (Green circled).
The later 2F engines came with the 3F bell housing which you can see embossed on your bell housing (yellow circle).

(2F engine mated to 3F bell housing)

F452F85E-EC62-41E1-A236-F76572894997.png

ADCA89CF-51BC-490B-8477-744A172126B0.png

Last edited:
Ah great. I was working off the 3F on the bell housing. I appreciate the info. Thanks
Hello, I'm in Kent, CT and will be swapping in a hot 2F engine into my 1985 FJ60. along with upgrading to Mosley Motors Holley Sniper EFI solution. You're welcome to swing by at some point and I can show you some of this in person so you get a better idea of what's involved.

Cheers, James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom