Water Pump for a 1974 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I just acquired this new water pump for my 1974 FJ40. Am curious to know what is this small hole outside the housing and what is its purpose? Do i need to cover this?

Would appreciate your inputs...

Thanks/Philip

20220330_113310.jpg

Did you buy that Pump in the PI ? Could you post a picture of the box it came in (the Label). It's a GMB, but looks a little different from the ones sold here in the States, I think.

Thanks.

Also know that the gasket between the backing plate IS NOT SEALED! Before you install it you will need to pull it off and seal it yourself.

The "weep" hole will drip out coolant if the shaft seal starts leaking. It provides some degree of warning before the leaking seal wipes out the bearing. When the bearing fails, it often times sends the fan into the radiator.

Thank you @73FJ40 for your inputs. Appreciate your inputs.

Did you buy that Pump in the PI ? Could you post a picture of the box it came in (the Label). It's a GMB, but looks a little different from the ones sold here in the States, I think.

Thanks.

Thanks @Spike Strip . I bought this from the States. Am just out for work. Will send you the pics later. Tnx again

Also know that the gasket between the backing plate IS NOT SEALED! Before you install it you will need to pull it off and seal it yourself.

Thanks @65swb45 . The backing plate and the gasket looks tightly sealed but does not look like it has been applied with sealant adhesive. Do i need to use one? Tnx

The "weep" hole will drip out coolant if the shaft seal starts leaking. It provides some degree of warning before the leaking seal wipes out the bearing. When the bearing fails, it often times sends the fan into the radiator.
Btw @73FJ40, do i need to disassemble the Backing Plate and Gasket , then apply a sealant adhesive before tightly sealing it with a screw driver?

Would apreciate your inputs.

Thanks/Philip

Thanks @65swb45 . The backing plate and the gasket looks tightly sealed but does not look like it has been applied with sealant adhesive. Do i need to use one? Tnx
It's a gamble. You may very well install it without removing and sealing it and it won't leak. I did once. And then you may have a leak if you don't seal it. I have.

It's a gamble. You may very well install it without removing and sealing it and it won't leak. I did once. And then you may have a leak if you don't seal it. I have.

Thank you @Steamer . It looks like it is tightly sealed and closed from the factory. Am just pretty hesitant to untighten it. Tnx

Thank you @Steamer . It looks like it is tightly sealed and closed from the factory. Am just pretty hesitant to untighten it. Tnx
I just did mine last week, and I was surprised by how hard I had to hit it with an impact driver to get those screws loose. There was no adhesive of any kind on the gasket. :rolleyes:

I just did mine last week, and I was surprised by how hard I had to hit it with an impact driver to get those screws loose. There was no adhesive of any kind on the gasket. :rolleyes:

Yup. That's what I thought as well. So i'd rather to leave it as is. Thank you @65swb45 .

Yup. That's what I thought as well. So i'd rather to leave it as is. Thank you @65swb45 .

Hi 65swb45 , am not a mechanic but i have some basic skills of doing some basic/simple troubleshooting stuff of my FJ40. Do you think I can manage to open the back plate and be able to seal it with the gasket and adhesive sealant using an impact driver? Thanks

Hi 65swb45 , am not a mechanic but i have some basic skills of doing some basic/simple troubleshooting stuff of my FJ40. Do you think I can manage to open the back plate and be able to seal it with the gasket and adhesive sealant using an impact driver? Thanks
If you’ve never used one before, it’ll be a game changer! It was for me.

Something like this:

Amazon product ASIN B000NPPATS
I had never seen one until I opened my shop, and a mechanic friend (same one I mentioned a few days ago who cured his motorcycle parts in the toaster oven) loaned me one after showing me how to use it.

I never forget the people who introduced new tools to me. Never. Life is a journey of empowerment, and tools are empowering.

If you’ve never used one before, it’ll be a game changer! It was for me.

Something like this:

Amazon product ASIN B000NPPATS
I had never seen one until I opened my shop, and a mechanic friend (same one I mentioned a few days ago who cured his motorcycle parts in the toaster oven) loaned me one after showing me how to use it.

I never forget the people who introduced new tools to me. Never. Life is a journey of empowerment, and tools are empowering.

I appreciate this big encouragement. If ever, this will be my first time to use an impact driver.

Thanks a lot master 65swb45 .

I would keep in mind you may unavoidably damage the gasket when you remove the plate. It happened to me on one but not another. I don’t believe those gaskets are available. Making one out of some sheet gasket material with a ball peen hammer and a utility knife is easy if you’ve done it before, and if it’s your first time it may take more than one try, but it’s a skill worth developing for future repairs.

I would keep in mind you may unavoidably damage the gasket when you remove the plate. It happened to me on one but not another. I don’t believe those gaskets are available. Making one out of some sheet gasket material with a ball peen hammer and a utility knife is easy if you’ve done it before, and if it’s your first time it may take more than one try, but it’s a skill worth developing for future repairs.

Thanks for this advise @Steamer .

This will be my first time to do it.

Truly appreciate your inputs and will take note on them.

Thanks again/Philip

I don't know what's available to you if you're in the PI, but if you can get the Japan-made Koken (they call it an 'Attack Driver' in English), they come with the correct JIS driver bits. It's a lifetime tool. Koken has a few different models of the driver.

Good luck!

1648837421259.png

I don't know what's available to you if you're in the PI, but if you can get the Japan-made Koken (they call it an 'Attack Driver' in English), they come with the correct JIS driver bits. It's a lifetime tool. Koken has a few different models of the driver.

Good luck!

View attachment 2968709

Thanks a lot @Spike Strip . Will try to look for this brand. Most of the Japanese brands are available in PH.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks again/Philip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom